gained 4 pounds one day SERIOUSLY?

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    You should pick a set day and ONLY weigh yourself on that day..otherwise you are going to become very discouraged.
    I weigh myself on Saturday.....that way I know how hard I worked all week and it usually pays off! So pick a day, weigh yourself that day and DONT weigh yourself until the next week!

And playing devils advocate (I am a happy daily weigher) what if you only weight once a week and today was the original posters day to weigh? Then you go a whole week and see a 4 pound gain. Now THAT would bum me out.

To each their own but I would rather weigh daily so I can learn about these fluctuations and not let them freak me out next time I see a spike.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. My weight can fluctuate 5lbs either way throughout the day.

Remember, a pound is 3500 calories, so unless you ate 14000 EXCESS calories yesterday, you're fine.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I wish people would educate themselves more.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If 1lb of fat = 3500 calories then why does 1lb of coconut oil (coconut oil is 100% fat - every single calorie is from fat) have over 3900 calories? (http://nutritiondata.self.com/)
    100g of coconut oil = 862 calories. 1lb = 453.592grams. So 1lb of coconut oil = 3909.96304

Actually weighing every day is how I figured out that certain foods affect that number on the scale. And how the quality of the food affects that number on the scale (food isn't made in a factory. So what covers more than 90% of the grocery stores is not food - it's fake food). That number on the scale has absolutely NOTHING to do with my calorie intake.

http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If 1lb of fat = 3500 calories then why does 1lb of coconut oil (coconut oil is 100% fat - every single calorie is from fat) have over 3900 calories? (http://nutritiondata.self.com/)
    100g of coconut oil = 862 calories. 1lb = 453.592grams. So 1lb of coconut oil = 3909.96304

Actually weighing every day is how I figured out that certain foods affect that number on the scale. And how the quality of the food affects that number on the scale (food isn't made in a factory. So what covers more than 90% of the grocery stores is not food - it's fake food). That number on the scale has absolutely NOTHING to do with my calorie intake.

http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

44059-are-you-a-wizard-RfZj.jpeg
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    1) You cannot weigh everyday and consider what the scale says
    2) From day to day your body can retain water either from stress from daily life, workout, soreness, bloating, PMS, etc.

3) Are we still having this conversation ?

No biggie !!
    Weigh yourself once a week, after a day of rest from working out and if ur a girl, try and coincide with week after your TOM.

:)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    yea sorry just not use to people being mean here, ty for the confirmation this happens to all of us. I will lose the scale and only weigh at gym once a week.

You will find a lot of meanness. You will find a lot of misinformation, too. Find your N=1. Be your own scientist. (I'm Primal/Paleo. I've been bashed and insulted so many times here. But I don't care.

My weight only fluctuates with crappy foods. If I am eating real, whole food (I eat a high-fat diet by the way) there is no fluctuation. I can weight the exact same 4-5 days in a row (and no more water retention when TOM starts). But if I start eating crap (frankenfood) then the scale jumps and jumps fast. Back off and go back to real, whole food (high-fat) and the scale will drop back down to where it's supposed to be. Nothing to do with the amount I ate but everything to do with what I ate.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    My weight fluctuates as much as 5 pounds..It used to bother me, but now I'm used to it. Just keep on doing your workouts. The weight will come up. Hell, I'm only losing 3 pounds a month..Six months equals an 18 pound weight loss..I'll be happy with that..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I once lost 5 pounds in a 30 minute time span going pee and taking a hot bath.

Not at the same time I hope :sick:
    :tongue:

How else would you keep the bath hot?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Get your diva sticks ready.
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    Yep. Unless you ate 4 x 3500 cals back it is just water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This.

that would be nice....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    would like to eat a couple slices of pizza but no not five large, tx. BTW do men fluctuate as much as women

on a day to day basis, yes, because human physiology is pretty much the same for each gender, barring a few hormonal and structural differences. In fact due to men having (on average) a greater muscle mass and larger organs, they may actually see slightly greater (on average) fluctuations in water weight than women. They are a lot less likely to get stressed out about it though.

on a monthly basis, no, because their hormones just stay the same all the time they don't have a monthly cycle. most women see weight fluctuations at different points on their cycle.

re your original question - in order to put on 4lb of fat in one day, you'd need to eat 14,000 calories over and above your TDEE. If you didn't do that, then rest assured it's water weight.
  • kharper85
    kharper85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is why you only weigh in once a week.

Its most likely water weight.

!!!
  • Rohbean
    Rohbean Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    why am I screwed?

Out of all the responses, you keyed in on that? It's either sarcasm or he's trolling.

Exactly what I was thinking LOL.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale............... and put it away. Eat healthy including eating back calories, exercise and meet your goals in your diary. Trust it. Let your measurements tell youdelf how you're progressing.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have had a week off and with Easter coming up, I have been +6 pounds for a week now. I literally went up 6 pounds in just 2 days and it has stayed there all week. I haven't eaten over my calories so it is all food weight and water retention. It will go back down the next week or so when I start eating better but it is easy to see how people can put the weight back on if they go back to eating badly.

I had already lost 4.5 pounds so far this year so it is like maintaining if looked on a 3 month basis.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    why am I screwed?

Out of all the responses, you keyed in on that? It's either sarcasm or he's trolling.

4 pounds is perfectly normal. i have the same thing happen to me every couple weeks. Likely water weight caused by sodium intake. Keep doing what you're doing.

Sarcasm.

OP your weight can fluctuate immensely throughout the day. I've been known to fluctuate up to 8 or 9 pounds from one day to the next. Food you eat, muscle glycogen, and water retention all are factors.

I'd really recommend you start weighing yourself once a week (at the same time and on the same scale) or better yet start taking measurements.

Why couldnt you just say that the first time? No need for a crappy attitude.

Because sarcasm.