Question for the ladies (guys cover your eyes)

Options

Replies

• lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Growing up I had cramps so bad that I'd pass out, I was really active in high school, and my cramps were still horrid. Since then I've lost 40 lbs, got pregnant gained those 40 lbs back and started working out 6 days a week, I also have Mirena so I don't always have my period ( I know not healthy) but I can't honestly say that working out has made a difference.
  • kennymi87
    kennymi87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd say I fall into the overweight category without venturing into obese. I take Seasonique so I cheat the system getting only 4 periods a year, however it feels as though my period saves us 3 months worth of cramps it likes to give me on one day and always waits until I get to work. I spoke with my OBGYN and my pharmacist who recommended a week before my period to take a full strength aspirin every day to thin the bleeding and I was prescribed 800mg ibuprofen for the cramping. I generally only need 2-3 of those ibuprofen over the course of a day or two and I'm good to go. I'm sure some how weight has to do with something because I'd imagine your hormones are all out of whack from poor diet and lack of exercise.

I hope this helped a bit and I hope you find the answer you're looking for.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    light excercise actually does help me personally with cramps :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That might be a general medical trend, and endorphins often help relieve pain, so that may be true. I've exercised all my life, and I've always had bad menstrual cramps. The only thing that helped me was BC *shrug*

@LovelyladyJ21: You know it's perfectly healthy not to have a period, right? If you're "losing" or "missing" periods without any hormonal intervention, that can be a sign of a health issue. If you're purposely preventing periods, that's absolutely fine.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Working out gets rid of cramps for me. You could also try potassium supplements.
  • thenewkayla08
    thenewkayla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It always always helps me to exercise alot during that week! I may not feel like it but it will help!! Also it seems to help mine be a little shorter, I don't know if I am just imagining things or not. But I would advise working out during that week!!!

good luck! :D
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Before losing weight, exercising, and eating right I had 7 day long periods. Now they are usually 3-4 days and sometimes I barely notice them, but there are still those few times where mother nature likes to kick me in the *kitten* and punch me in the mouth too. Stupid cramps. XD
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I used to have so much pain, even in the middle of the month.

And ya know what? I took it as I was told "Its a female thing" and "get used to it, its supposed to hurt"

Finally, 1 Hysterectomy, Oophrectomy, Endo, chocolate cycts, fibroids and tumors later, my GYN (finally a lady), told me pain that you cant relieve with OTC pain meds, is NEVER normal.

Yes, exercise, and being fit helps, but it should never be so bad as to be debillitating
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are the lighter the bleeding, the cramps will also decrease and sometimes you might not even see your period depending on how fit you are. So its a great plus to be healthier.

Say what? I had no idea, but it makes sense. And this information came from–wait for it–A GUY!!! :noway:

I've noticed that with my more active lifestyle/healthier eating, my periods are:

- More frequent (boo), 21 days inbetween :frown:
    - Less painful with cramping (yay!) but not entirely gone.
    - But more intense in other PMS symptoms (extreme mood swings, in one instance I had textbook PMDD symptoms, it was actually kind of scary)

I try to exercise before/during/after, but I find that on day 2 my energy levels are 1/3 of what they usually are, so I rest on that day.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I hate, HATE working out the days right before and the first couple days of my period. That's why I'm on the 3 month pill. After a year of spotting at weird times I have a few days of spotting and very light cramps every 3 months. I have found that if I force myself to workout, it does help. My muscles get warm, and getting my heartrate up always seems to help with soreness of any type. Add in a couple Excedrin and I'm back to normal. Well, I'm still bloated and I still want to kill my husband (and my dogs, and my coworkers, and anyone I come in contact with), but I physically feel better.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i should probably fear for my life after this but.... b****es be crazy yo!

(joke)
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mine will still be terrible the first day, but then I barely even notice it for the rest of the time.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I really dont know if it will help or not, but i can tell you what helped me out BIG TIME. I switched to a Diva cup and it has made that time of the month much less painful

This! Exercise seems to only be helpful if it makes me sore enough cramps blend in with everything selse. But the Diva cup worked wonders for reducing them. Been using for several years now.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    The fitter you are the lighter the bleeding, the cramps will also decrease and sometimes you might not even see your period depending on how fit you are. So its a great plus to be healthier.

no.... so no....

this only applies to women who are under 20% body fat and who often don't get their periods at all.

and no, this is NOT a sign of good health
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Well I did use the pill for awhile and also depo but my doctor told me to stop doing both because of weight gain and the risk of osteoporosis which was a concern for me already having arthritis due to my weight.. I had a tubal done two years ago so that I wouldn't need to take any of that and I'll be damned if I gave up my ability to have anymore kids to just end up back on birth control.

Now I no longer see that doctor because I didn't agree with some of her medical views but I absolutely refuse to end up back on something that I went through surgery and gave up future children to avoid.

I have endometriosis as well which makes the pain worse no matter what I do which is why I have to take the Ibuprofen but I'm hoping a lifestyle change such as this will make it tolerable.

I would really think about going to a doctor, if I were you (perhaps ask around where you live to get a recommendation).

There are plenty of other options you could try, mefenamic acid and naproxen to name but two (ibuprofen is quite a light-weight drug to be on if you are having real problems).

Also reconsider the pill. While depo can cause bone density problems, other pills are generally fine. Cerazette (UK name - might need to check what it is called in other countries) is good as you take it back-to-back and it stops your periods completely. It is a mini pill, so no oestrogen, which can help reduce the usual food cravings you get with the combined pill.

The Mirena coil might also be worth looking into as for the majority of women (although not all) it lightens periods.

For me, Cerazette has been a Godsend. No periods, no anaemia, no pain, can exercise without problems. I too have arthritis and have had no bone density problems with it.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I first started really working out, my cramps got worse and lasted for like two weeks, but the last period I had was hardly noticeable. No cramps at all and my whole period lasted for like 3 days, so I'd say there's some truth to it. At least once your body adjust to the new activity.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Not true for everybody. I'm past menopause now, but there was a time when I was riding a lot, doing the normal barn work that comes with owning/breeding/training horses, plus a stressful job as a mail carrier, and I had horrible heavy bleeding and painful cramps, sometimes bad enough to call in sick. My worst time, i SOAKED THROUGH a box of 24 maxi pads in two days. The only thing that lessened this condition was going on the pill while I was in college. I was never pregnant, if that makes any difference.
  • rozsbluejay
    rozsbluejay Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually don't cramp a lot. I still have a heavy flow, but the majority of people are saying it will improve...so there is hoping. :)
  • tracilynnie
    tracilynnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As far as other medications to take for the pain and blood management.. I can't take much else because I'm allergic to acetaminophen (tylenol) so I know I'm safe taking ibuprofen and I usually avoid any other meds (the last doc I went to, the one I won't go to anymore put me on Ultram which was absolutely horrible and I'll never touch that stuff again)

For today, the bleeding has been pretty light compared to what it normally is and the pain has stayed at a minimal level.. I got a good workout in earlier and wasn't even bothered by it.. The first two days are the heaviest of my flow so if tomorrow is as light as today (and if I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to change tampons so I don't soak through it and my pad) then I'll be extremely happy.

Fingers crossed :D
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Don't say cover your eyes and then NOT provide a pic heavy thread of your privates.

You need to learn forum ettiquette. :grumble: