If you use that "cup" thing during TOM...

Options
12346»

Replies

• binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or is absurd that some women are so squeamish about their own bodies?? Weird....

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I used to be REALLY squeamish about my own body--wouldn't use a applicator-free tampon, and rarely used tampons at that! But then I went to midwifery class and did a pap smear on my friend, then got a pap with 8 other women looking on. I got over it after that. LOL I think giving birth twice also helped...

Giving birth will definitely do it, lol. ;-)
    I would have thought bleeding all over a sanitary towel and feeling the blood leaving your body and having to deal with seeing it when you go to the bathroom would be far more 'shocking' to someone squeamish about their period than a tampon or cup but there ya go, lol.

LOL It wasn't the blood, but the poking around that I wasn't "comfortable" with. I wasn't sure if I was going to do something wrong or something, I don't know. But I'm totally over that now, thank God!

I have benign cysts and am peri-menopausal - per my OB/GYN, that explains the heavy flow and clots.

Ahhh... Yes, that would explain it. Well, I'm glad you're seeing an OB/Gyn for it. :smile:

Many women think that's "normal" and don't do anything about it, just suffering, and sometimes becoming anemic, because they don't realize it can be better.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    dafuq kind of thread is this? some crazy cats up in here!!!
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    Okay...I'm very glad we don't use them in this house then. I hope none of my guests are washing their diva cup in my bathroom sink.

lol, this! ^

You'll never know

oh god.
    "Mom why does the bathroom sink smell like pennies every time Lisa comes over?
  • birdforbeans
    birdforbeans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to love the DIVA cup, and I do, but:

1. I have a really heavy flow my first two days, so I can only use it at home on those days, because when I've been out and about I've had serious overflow. (I use XX-special tampons on those days)

2. I have the over 30 size, but I wonder if I should try the smaller size, bc at 5 ft I am practically child sized.

3. I do panic when it gets stuck. This is the part that is the hardest for me to get over. The stem is not long enough, AT ALL. I've been using O.B.s since high school, so I have no issue with that part, but getting ahold of the darn thing without creating a Deepwater Horizon style catastrophe... This means, I usually only remove it when I'm in the shower.

Now, if there are other brands I should try, I am game, because Diva isn't a total win for me. I love it when I'm not flowing heavy, and I love it when I'm not trying to get it out, but I clearly have to deal with both of those things. Any advice?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I want to love the DIVA cup, and I do, but:

1. I have a really heavy flow my first two days, so I can only use it at home on those days, because when I've been out and about I've had serious overflow. (I use XX-special tampons on those days)

2. I have the over 30 size, but I wonder if I should try the smaller size, bc at 5 ft I am practically child sized.

3. I do panic when it gets stuck. This is the part that is the hardest for me to get over. The stem is not long enough, AT ALL. I've been using O.B.s since high school, so I have no issue with that part, but getting ahold of the darn thing without creating a Deepwater Horizon style catastrophe... This means, I usually only remove it when I'm in the shower.

Now, if there are other brands I should try, I am game, because Diva isn't a total win for me. I love it when I'm not flowing heavy, and I love it when I'm not trying to get it out, but I clearly have to deal with both of those things. Any advice?

some of these are solvable... The best place I know of for these sorts of questions is here:

http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/

just poke around the various FAQ sections and tags--it's all helpful, to the point, and free of body shaming and disgust.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Okay...I'm very glad we don't use them in this house then. I hope none of my guests are washing their diva cup in my bathroom sink.

If you are this squeamish about bodily fluids, the cup is probably not for you :)

Agreed. Do you not let your guests spit in your sink if they brush their teeth either?

Sorry to be a bit gruesome here, but the entire contents of the cup don't go in the sink! You just dump it in the loo, flush ( and you can do that without looking!) and then just wash the cup. It's easy!

I pour mine down the sink, and I look. And I keep the sink clean, too, by washing it with bathroom cleaner. It's just blood, for cryin' out loud. It's not as if it leaves this permanent magical trace on everything it comes in contact with.

as long as CSI never comes to your house!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Actually yes I do put the lid down.
    Just blood...would you be okay with a guy pissing in your sink?

urine is sterile, so yes.

there are typically more germs in your sink than in your toilet anyway!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    250px-Strawberry_jam_on_a_dish.JPG

cant wait for my toast tomorrow

rotflmao
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Love my diva cup. Most comfortable thing ever and I love that I have 12 hour protection. I usually remove clean and reinsert twice a day. Once in morning and once at night. I do have a small leakage everyone and then on my first day of my cycle but I just try t o remember to clean more often on those days. My husband likes it better to cause he used to get so grossed out by the rolled up tramping in the tissues in the bathroom garbage. Now he doesn't have to see anything! :)
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say I'm another Diva fan, and kudos to the poster who brought up the LJ community - I was going to do that as well. :flowerforyou:

If anyone has questions about cups and wants to talk in PMs, I'm happy to help. These things really are great. :)
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No I am not squeamish about bodily fluids at all. Raised four kids and now care for two grand kids, one of whom is autistic and still in diapers at the age of five. But I wouldn't wash my grand kid's urine soaked undies in the sink where I brush my teeth either.

Would you have a problem with it going down the plughole in the shower? Easier than over the loo and rinsing in the sink and less risk of dropping it in the toilet
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    But the REAL question is what do you do when you have to pee? You just pee in the cup or do you have to take the cup out every time to go pee?!

....:huh:

:noway: :laugh:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That cup thing grosses me out.