Workouts and hair

Options
Okay ladies I can't be the only one with this dilemma. After my daily workout I'm drenched in sweat and my hair looks as though I've just gotten out of the pool. I wash it every day and it's getting dry and damaged. My body is progressing nicely, but my hair...not so much. What are your hair care tips, and secrets?

Replies

• Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    when you shower, just rinse it with hot water, and then use a conditioner for 'damaged' or 'dry' hair. Only use shampoo a few times a week
  • linzbreanne
    linzbreanne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have this problem also! I'm doing double workouts each day, but I also like to have nice, non-greasy, non-frizzy hair. I rinse my hair really well and use dry shampoo and am able to get away with 'wet' washing about every other day. Since I've stopped washing it so much its not as greasy. I recommend dry shampoo. It doesn't strip the ends and gives nice volume for me.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have super long hair (not to my butt but almost) and I just don't wash it everyday. I do long sweaty workouts at the gym and I just deal with it. My hair is naturally pretty straight so I just let it be and to get the oil/moist out in the morning just put some baby powder in it and go on my way. Looks fine to me also I just white vinegar in my hair about once a week in between shampoo and conditioner to get any build up out of it.

Good luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,960 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair with shampoo once a week, but I wash it with conditioner every day. It really gets it clean & it good-smelling. And my hair is in better condition than ever. Seriously, I no longer have any split ends.
  • here
    here Posts: 69
    Options
    I might be gross, but I wash it every other day. :/
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I know it's hard to resist, but try not to wash your hair with shampoo every day. Like Pink Turnip mentioned, rinse with water. Also, avoid styling with heat (hair dryer/straightener) every day (not sure if you do, but if so...)

It's difficult for me to give you tips regarding the sweat since I don't sweat much on my head (just my forehead mostly), but I don't wash my hair with shampoo every day and on the days I don't, I just wear my hair up in a ponytail. You can use dry shampoo, of course, If you don't want to pay the price, baby powder works. (if you don't mind the smell.)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I might be gross, but I wash it every other day. :/

me too. I have short hair though, and my hair is normally pretty dry anyway, so if I wash it every day it gets REALLY dry! I do agree with whoever said wash it with just conidtioner- when my hair was long, that is what I did and my 4 year old has hair to her butt, I wash it with conditioner every bath and with shampoo once a week.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If your hair is longer, put it in a nice and high pony tail. Helps keep the hair off your neck and swooshes back and forth, kinda cooling your neck a bit. When it comes to washing my hair, I LOVE Bed Head's products. The Self Absorbed Shampoo + Moisture Maniac Conditioner = Soft & citrus smelling hair!!! (even though I sweat like a pig at the gym :laugh:)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I wish I had secrets to share but I don't.... hope this doesn't come off as rude but I go to the gym to workout, my hair is the last thing I am thinking about. My hair is shoulder length and curly.. not much needs to be done with it :smile:
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a dry shampoo that you spray in?

I workout hard, and have the same problem, my hair is shorter (almost to my shoulders) but I still try to only wash my hair every other day. I also make sure that I put my hair up, but not in a ponytail (which leaves those creases) I twist it up and use a clip or hairpins. Even puts a nice wave in it.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have super long hair (not to my butt but almost) and I just don't wash it everyday. I do long sweaty workouts at the gym and I just deal with it. My hair is naturally pretty straight so I just let it be and to get the oil/moist out in the morning just put some baby powder in it and go on my way. Looks fine to me also I just white vinegar in my hair about once a week in between shampoo and conditioner to get any build up out of it.

Good luck!

this. i do this, works well, and most of the time i could care less about how my hair looks.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I will shower without shampoo every other day. When I get out I add some coconut oil to the ends and WHOILA!

Oh yeah, and I do have butt length hair (darn being a woman and having to sit to pee!)
  • pe4sandra
    pe4sandra Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If your hair is longer, put it in a nice and high pony tail. Helps keep the hair off your neck and swooshes back and forth, kinda cooling your neck a bit. When it comes to washing my hair, I LOVE Bed Head's products. The Self Absorbed Shampoo + Moisture Maniac Conditioner = Soft & citrus smelling hair!!! (even though I sweat like a pig at the gym :laugh:)
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use dry shampoo when my hair starts to get greasy. Baby powder also helps absorb the oil and it smells pretty good.

For those of you who rinse then condition, are there any conditioners you recommend that won't weigh your hair down(I have pretty fine hair)?
  • pe4sandra
    Options
    oops....hit the button without replying. Sorry! Thanks for the tips. I didn't know dry shampoo existed. I appreciate you dropping some brand names and I'm eager to try the baby powder. How much baby powder should I use? I have shoulder length, relatively thin hair.
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I shower daily, but do not wash my hair every day, maybe every other day. I use dry shampoo if it feels dirty, especially after it dries after a hard workout. I use a deep conditioning treatment once every week or two if it starts to feel dry. If my hair needs to be "freshened" up, I will rinse with luke warm water (as cool as you can tolerate) and use conditioner. Hot water is hard on your hair so avoid that as much as possible. I had problems with static this winter and switched to Aveeno Nourish + Moisturize shampoo and conditioner. It's amazing! I noticed a big difference even after one wash! Ever since, my hair is not as greasy and it doesn't feel dirty even after a couple of days (unless I use a lot of product like mousse or hairspray). Not to mention the static problem is gone. I have also tried to lay off the heat styling as much as possible. There are lots of videos on youtube for cute hairstyles that don't use heat. Good luck!
  • pe4sandra
    Options
    I wish I had secrets to share but I don't.... hope this doesn't come off as rude but I go to the gym to workout, my hair is the last thing I am thinking about. My hair is shoulder length and curly.. not much needs to be done with it :smile:

:flowerforyou: Not rude at all. I don't think about my hair during my workout, just concerned with possibly damaging it from all the washing. :blushing:
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    oops....hit the button without replying. Sorry! Thanks for the tips. I didn't know dry shampoo existed. I appreciate you dropping some brand names and I'm eager to try the baby powder. How much baby powder should I use?

Your welcome! I know the other questions where directed towards other people but I also use baby powder, especially when traveling!

What I do.......
    1) is first shake my head around to get my hair a little fluffed out
    2) put about a quarter size worth baby powder in my palm
    3) rub both hands together (will be a little dust so just close your mouth)
    4) run/scrunch/fluff through my hair but don't cake it all on the top. Try to work it through all your layers of hair.
    5) Then take a brush and brush it through your hair until all the white powder is no longer visible.
    6) Repeat as many times as needed (depends how oily your hair is).
    (P.S You have darker hair so try not to use too much)

Also just to let you know, Bed head also makes a dry shampoo called "Rockaholic: Dirty Secret" and is in a black can. I have never used but my sister has and she is hooked on it. Hope I helped :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Simple, I got mine cut really short. Like short sort. Still drenched in sweat, still getting damaged...but heaps easier to wash at the gym under the taps.
  • pinkstay
    pinkstay Posts: 61
    Options
    i personally prefer the Kenra dry shampoo over bedhead, just because the bedhead had issues of drying up in the can too often... the kenra lasts me for quite a while... and for those using baby powder a little goes a long way, especially with dark hair! use too much and you can end up looking like you have gray hair... (i know from experience back in the day lol) just like with anything else, you can always add more, but once its in there, its a pain to get it back out... and I def agree with using some kind of nourishing hair oil on the ends to keep them looking fresh, so the ends dont look dry compared to your scalp, because that is what tends to give away our second day hair

and for those that feel icky over not shampooing everyday, i go at least three days without shampooing mine. it is much healthier on my scalp and hair.