When I am running my milnd tells me to stop

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mony Mony by Billy Idol can usually get me through that spot. I can't be stil if Mony Mony is playing.
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sticking it out and fighting against those thoughts usually leads to the greatest feeling of accomplishment. I don't run, I started going to spinning classes and have to fight myself to stay on the bike. When it's over I feel like I can do anything!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Its like as soon as my legs start to hurt then is when I start thinking I need to stop.
    I've been running for several years and my mind still says to stop when it starts hurting. That will never go away. You just have to ignore it.

What does change is how long and how hard you can go before the mind wants to stop. That gets much longer and much harder over time.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How far into the run does this feeling hit you? I've been running for nearly 2 years and I STILL find the first mile to be difficult if I let myself think about what I'm doing. The second mile is easier, and by the third I feel like I can run for hours - and sometimes do. For me distraction is the answer. I maintain enough situational awareness to stay safe, but otherwise don't think about what I'm doing. I think about anything but running for that first mile.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that our bodies panic and send pain signals long before we're in any danger of damaging ourselves. Maybe that knowledge can help.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im starting week 3 Day 1 of the C210K app. So im not running to long. But Sometimes i wonder if I should just run as long as I can and then walk for a little time and then run as long as I can.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Running isn't for everyone..it's a slow burning love affair.

Set yourself realistic, achievable goals. Having a goal in mind and WANTING to achieve it will drive your mind away from wanting to quit!

A 5k race like you have registered for should do just the trick....keep at it, and keep it varied and interesting!

Good luck!
  • kitkat4456
    Options
    I usually set a goal like, I'm going to run at this pace for ten minutes, then when I hit that ten minute mark, I'm like oh you know it be awesome to keep going for maybe another five minutes because I've already come this far, if I could only make it another five. As soon as I know it I've been running for forty minutes and have increased my pace. Music also really helps me to stay moving, Nike fit for the ipod lets you have a power song you choose and whenever you feel like quitting can put that power song to get through the rough patch. Also taking a few minutes to break and walk for a bit helps if you can't run for long distances straight yet.
  • jenniewill
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but I got the couch to 5K app on my phone about a month ago. It helps you by using intervals to strengthen your running skills a little each time. I always had a hard time with my breathing. Things that have helped me:
    1. music that makes you want to move. (also helps you NOT focus on your breathing, which would always make me breathe incorrectly.)
    2. The C5K app pushing me a little each time.
    3. Good shoes.
    4. Look into the distance at an object and just focus on getting to that object (ie a lamp post or car). Once you get there pick another one in the distance. You will notice that you will go a bit father each time.
    5. Get pumped up with a warm up brisk walk and motivate yourself with what your goals are.

Good luck and happy running!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    When my mind says stop, I think:

Am I genuinely so tired that I can't continue? Most often, the answer is no.
    Am I so winded that the running is extremely difficult? Most often, the answer is no.
    Are my legs too fatigued to keep going? Most often, the answer is no.

Sometimes the answer to any of those questions is yes, but 99% of the time the answer is no. Tell your mind to shush it.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Try the Zombies Run 5K training app. I love mine.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Im starting week 3 Day 1 of the C210K app. So im not running to long. But Sometimes i wonder if I should just run as long as I can and then walk for a little time and then run as long as I can.
    That's how I got restarted two years ago although I cut the workout off at 3 miles until I could run 3 miles without stopping. That took about three weeks.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have to use my ipod when running. It keeps my mind off of how brutal it is, and it helps to pump me up and keep me going.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into running and doing a program similar to C25K, but I"m only in week one so far so we'll see how this goes... 2.5 yrs ago I wanted to be a runner too and I didnt' like the structure of a program that made me walk x run y, so I just went out and told myself I'd go for 30 minutes and run as much as I could, walk a bit to recover, run more, etc. It worked for me because my mental blocks tend to come in when I "have" to run for 10 minutes, but if I tell myself I can stop and walk whenever I want to, I can easily run 15 (for example). I would also do it based on length - i.e. "I'm going 3 miles and the more I run the faster this will be over, but I can walk whenever I want to." This method worked for me and got to from basically running for 5 minutes to running a half marathon in 4 months! So in resopnse to you saying sometimes you think you should just go out and run as long as you can taking little walking breaks - you should give it a try and see how it works for you.

Oh, something else that worked for me was running where other people were (busy lake path, treadmills at the busy gym or on busy streets) because the competitive streak in me meant that I would be embarrassed to run for 3 minutes and stop with so many people "watching" so that kept me going (at least until there was a side street I could turn down ;) It's like spin class, even if I feel exhausted and want to quit I don't want to be the only one that isn't peddaling hard, so I keep going...but if I were by myself I'd definitely stop.
    Silly brains - why do they give so much resistence?
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im running on a treadmill, cause theres still snow on the ground. But I was thinking when it melted out I would go outside and run.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I run, sometimes for the first mile, I suck nutcrackers. I am pathetic. Maybe around 1.5 miles in, I hit what I call the zone.

Maybe you just need to find that place where your body has adjusted and you've hit the right "happy place."
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I discovered audio books for when I do my long runs on the weekends. Something about listening to someone talk about themselves or tell a really compelling story is a great way to take my mind off my running. Don't get me wrong, I still couldn't get away from that annoying voice when it's hot out but that's when I switch over to my music.

On a treadmill, I listen to some pretty fun music. Lots of 80's or at least really up tempo music. I also found reading my runner's world magazines worked quite well too (yes it took some getting used to). And lately I've been watching TV.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've been running regularly since spring 2010, and this still happens to me - it's just that now it happens many miles later than it used to :)

Our minds like to keep us in a comfort zone. It's a matter of pushing through it. Simple to say, but difficult to do. Maybe when you feel like you're hitting a mental wall, start setting some small goals, like "I'm going to make it one more quarter mile".. then when you do that, say "Ok, I'm going to make it *another* quarter mile". Breaking up a task into smaller components makes it more manageable, both in life, work, and even running.

Good luck!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    But Sometimes i wonder if I should just run as long as I can and then walk for a little time and then run as long as I can.

I'm training for a 5K as well and when I started I could barely make it five minutes before I wanted to stop. I started doing intervals while listening to my iPod so that I'd run for one song, walk for the next, run for the next and so on. Then I just worked up to running for two songs and walking for one. Now I can run for 20 minutes (1.5 miles) before I switch to walking and I'm working my way up to 30 minutes.

Distraction definitely helps. If you stare at the monitor on the treadmill, it's going to feel like you are running forever. Listening to my music and planning out my day or working out stuff in my head definitely helps keep me from staring at the countdown clock, or just watching the TVs at the gym.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I do the checkpoint thing. tell myself - "just run to the next telephone pole" then when I get there..."just run to the next telephone pole." The first 2 miles SUCK! Once I get past that my calves relax, and as long as I'm in a good pace/rhythm, I feel like I can jog forever. I am not fast, but I am steady and I am out there doing it.

By the way, I HATE, HATE, HATE the treadmill and if I were trying to run on one, I would probably quit a LOT sooner.