Embarrassed when running?

Options

Replies

• Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but I have a game plan about on-lookers when I exercise. The meat heads at the gym that gawk, the people that turn their head when I'm running.....they are my cheering squad.

I know when I check someone out at the gym - what they are doing - it's always in admiration. Same with running - I check out the rockstar runner with jealous glee because I aspire to be them. I check out the struggling overweight runner and think 'oh my god how awesome is that!!! You go girl' They (and you) are out their gettin' your run on and you need to put out the negative and look at everyone who yells at you, turns their head and checks you out as your cheering squad. It helps me every time I go for a run and every time I walk through the door at the gym.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm generally so in my own headspace that I don't notice the other people running around me on the trail, but if I do, it's always with a sense of admiration either (1) because they are SO fast I'm wildly impressed, or (2) they're not in the greatest shape, but they're working at it, so I'm also wildly impressed. Basically, if I notice you out running, I'm impressed. I bet most people who see you running (if they notice you at all) are viewing you in a positive light, rather than a negative one.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've had idiots yell stuff out of cars in the beginning.

One time I ran past a bunch teenagers (middle schoolers) waiting for the bus. I had my ear buds in but didn't have the music loud yet as I was still on the main road, one of them made some remak I heard him , I turned around looked right at them, I said so tell me how far can your Mom's run?

They were like uh uh ........I .smiled turned around and continued my run.

I put my music on and get in to a zone, don't let people looking at you bother you. You should be proud of yourself!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can wear compression clothes, it makes you feel like a night club bouncer no one wants to **** with.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I just about had a panic attack the first time I ran outside. I cut my Run short and went home. I tried again and got a hat, sunglasses, ponytail and halo headphones. I wore my sons tshirts cause they are long and covered me and i have gone from wearing the 20 yo to the 18yo and now the 15yo shirts. Time i bought my own gear now. I pretend I am invisible and hug my side of the path and a lot of people wouldn't recognise me. I get in my own zone and just enjoy the feeling of being able to run. I researched good form and worked on putting it into practice. I had trouble looking up in the beginning and was always staring at the ground in front of me. When I looked up the pathway I felt like my heart came up into my throat and I would panic. Eventually I started looking up but it took a while. Now I look up when I run and it is amazing.
    Don't let fear stop you. Be persistent and stick with it. I ran just under 7.5kms tonight and it feels great.

Thanks for the inspiration. :flowerforyou: I got tingles when I read this.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Just remember, they are jealous. Imagine that they are all runners and are on their rest days. They are secretly wishing they were running too. I do look at runners, especially on my off days and wished it were not an off day.

I am embarrassed for people to see me walking because I;'d rather them see me running. As far as people saying something....wear earbuds and keep going, they are probably telling you how great you look. If not, then they are jealous that they don;t have the balls to just do it!!

BEAST MODE!!! Remember it and wear it!!
  • barryarnold18
    Options
    Don't let them put you off. You are doing the right thing keep it up!!!!
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    I run after dark :)
    but really, remember, this is for you. you are far braver than those folks who arent running. so who should be making fun of who?
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    they may have been yelling go go you can do it. I have had a few people yell that at me I love that. I was self conscious when I first started too. Then I read something that said you are out to run for you no one else . I have learned to tune everyone out there out of my mind and just concentrate on my running . I also listen to my ipod to tune things out .
  • guyknight1963
    Options
    Keep running!
    Those knuckleheads are only jealous of how good you look and how hard you are working.
    Lazy people feel better about themselves when they bring other people down.

When I run outside in the cold I wear my running tights, mittens, head band, and about 4 layers of shirts.
    (New England can get pretty cold in march!) I must admit it- I look pretty sexy!
    Face it- not everyone call pull this look off!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Put the headphones in and disappear into your world. Just make sure to keep your eyes on the road. So many people get this feeling both in the gym and while outside. It's just a matter of you finally realizing that you're doing this for you, and that nothing else matters. It will click. Give it time.

This.

Alternatively yo could take another approach.

Wear a banana suit for a month.

After you're used to that embarrassment, wearing your normal clothes should seem reasonable.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I've had the exact same feelings....and still battle them often. I'm slow. I finished third from last in my first marathon but I finished! I love to run...it gives me mental clarity and a release from the stresses of my day. I'm not going to tell you to forget it, don't pay attention, any of the other things....the best thing I can say is what works for me is that I love to run more than I am embarassed by myself. I have 3 more halfs (this will by halfs 8. 9 and 10) and my second full planned for this year....and I'm sure I will finish my halfs at the back of the pack and my full the same...but I will LOVE ever second I'm running because 5 years ago I wasn't doing any of this and know as I live and breath that running saved my life.

Accept and let it go.....and RUN!
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Hello I am a fat guy that runs...

There is no reason to be embarrased running. The real reason to be embarrased would be if you let some jerk intimidate you into stopping. This person likely went home sat on the couch, eating cheetos and Ho-Hos and yelled at his/her TV.

You're doing great. Keep going
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I've been told I look like a T Rex when I run.

It's totally true, but the thought makes me smile when I run.

And who doesn't love a smiling T-Rex? :)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Just put some music on and go. Eventually you'll get over it. I use to hate running with my husband. Thought he and everyone else that saw me were judging me. He wasn't, that I know. Its taken time to get over the fear of running out in public. We even bought a treadmil so I wouldn't have to go outside. We sold it a year later cause I hate running indoors. Now when my husband and I run together I don't give a damn if I'm slower or if when I do pass him, that he's staring at me. I think it actually makes me run faster. You're going to have to work past the issues in your head. It will take time. Music helps.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I've never been embarrassed while running, and I started on a busy street route. I wear headphones and listen to music quite loudly to drown out any noise. (I only do this while in well populated areas and I carry pepper spray and a knife) People will yell at pedestrians no matter what, especially women. My advice is to focus on yourself and your breath, let the time you're running be completely you time.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Well about two years ago me and my husband were out for a run and after a mile or so I took a breather and walked a little (i sucked at running). Some guy drove by and yelled "its going to take more then walking fatty!" O man....I can't even explain how much this broke me down inside and how It still hurts to think about that moment. WORST part is, instead of using it as motivation or power, I let it break me down. I just stopped working out, and probably gained another 7 pounds. About a year later I started working out at home, and it took me probably 3 months to start running again in public. 5 months after that I ran my first 5k at the same location for a charity event. It felt amazing and I kinda just wanted to yell suck it as I ran over the finish line.

The thing that gets me the most is I run at this local valley wide area where its mostly kids playing soccer or baseball with their families, so that jack who felt the need to put me down probably had his kid or brother in the car with him, and teaching them that its ok to be an *kitten* to others. Just remember you are doing this for you and no one else and people can think whatever they want to think, but their butts aren't up running so they don't have any right to judge you. I still run a few days a week and sometimes I think of that day and what it did to my self esteem but then I think of how far I come and how in the end I pushed harder and became a runner, which I always struggled with from my asthma. Just run for you and F the rest of the world.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You're young. It's probably other young people trying to joke around/be a smart *kitten*/flirt with you. Enjoy the attention while it lasts. (In a couple years you'll run and no one will care lol). BTW, it's not just girls. My husband ran cross country in HS and college. He would tell me all the catcalls he'd get from girls and the stupid "RUN, FOREST! RUN!" shout-outs from the guys. It's just youth being goofy. Nothing to be embarrassed about. :)
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here's a little bit about my situation : I love to run. I try to run a few times a week around a lake close by. Whenever I go for a run, I feel like everyone is looking at me, and it makes me not want to go running anymore. The other day I was walking back after a run and people even yelled something at me out of their car window? I don't know what they said.. Anyways, any tips for getting past that embarrassing feeling? I know i'm going to be told to just forget about it and focus on running, but it's hard when you feel like everyone is watching you.

Don't worry about what other people are thinking or saying. For the most part, its only what YOU THINK they are thinking or saying. Being self concious in the beginning is part of it, but you will grow out of it. When I started running I was embarrassed on my lack of endurance and was a bit annoyed by it. My suggestion is to try and run with a group, that way you're not alone and you have a great foundation of support right along your side.

People will yell at anyone and anything on the road and for no reason. Whether it's a jogger, someone walking a dog, a homeless man, etc...idiots will like to yell at other people as they pass in cars because they fell like they can get away with it. I was on my bike, waiting at an intersection and people where yelling at me, making fun of the fact I was on a bike. I didn't care, because I was doing something I liked, being healthy and really I felt pity for them...Stuck in the back of the beat up old Saturn with their Wal-Mart bags filled with liters of Cokes, cheese puffs, chips and the poor life choices they made.

As for running, people stare at me when I do the running club 5k because I'm Asian. Asians don't normally go running. And when they do, it's because Godzilla is following close behind.

So no worries, mild-mannered citizens...there is NO GODZILLA.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Even though I am not in tip top shape, I kinda feel like a bad *kitten* when I'm running. I know my form probably isn't great, and I look terrible doing it (I'm still in the beginning phases so I turn red and sweaty and go pretty slow and feel like I'm dying), but I just feel like, man I am doing great. I am really getting myself where I need to be. Look at me running. This is great, and these peeps probably think I am awesome for doing it. When I see people running, especially if they are not in shape, I always feel like man, they are doing great. good job guy, and I usually give them a thumbs up.