• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i like to smear that all over my body.

me too. xD
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Many vitamins are fat-soluble, so cooking with oil is actually a good thing, especially with vegetables. Melt your coconut oil and drizzle it on your broccoli or something. It's also really good on popcorn (I have a coconut oil spray, which makes it super easy).

I'm not into all they hype; I just like it.

You're right that many vitamins are fat-soluble.
    You're right that cooking with healthy fats is a good thing.

You're not right that these too facts have anything to do with one another.

Eating fats will help absorb fat-soluble vitamins?

I'll happily stand corrected. I was not of the impression that dietary fat aided in the uptake of fat soluble vitamins.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep, it goes anywhere you'd put oil. But... I started eating it straight because I needed some quick energy in the morning. And it was really gross, until it wasn't. Now it's kind of like starting the day with a piece of chocolate. (I know! It's still gross! And yet strangely compelling...)
  • siems56
    siems56 Posts: 28
    Options
    i dont know much about it, but i made my own carob chips, super easy and taste too only 50 calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased organic coconut oil as I was told to take at least a tablespoon a day to start.

Who told you take it ?
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I normally use it in my breakfast protein smoothies -- makes them go a little further and adds a richer flavor. I also use it for cooking, moisturizing, and shaving.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil does have a lot of health benefits, but eating that much of it is hard. Just try using it in cooking instead of butter, or I like to put it on bread... especially something like cinnamon raisin. So good!
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    My wife has a terrible time eating before noon, so I got her drinking bullet-proof coffee + protein powder. Recipe is simple -

One cup hot coffee
    One tablespoon coconut oil
    One tablespoon butter, from grass-fed cows for better fats (supposedly)
    One scoop vanilla protein powder

Whizz it all up in a magic bullet and she has a 350 calorie cup of coffee that keeps her full and energized until lunch time.

No offense - but that sounds like the worst thing ever:sick:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I normally use it in my breakfast protein smoothies -- makes them go a little further and adds a richer flavor. I also use it for cooking, moisturizing, and shaving.

OT, but... best username ever. You win MFP.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Many vitamins are fat-soluble, so cooking with oil is actually a good thing, especially with vegetables. Melt your coconut oil and drizzle it on your broccoli or something. It's also really good on popcorn (I have a coconut oil spray, which makes it super easy).

I'm not into all they hype; I just like it.

You're right that many vitamins are fat-soluble.
    You're right that cooking with healthy fats is a good thing.

You're not right that these too facts have anything to do with one another.

Eating fats will help absorb fat-soluble vitamins?

I'll happily stand corrected. I was not of the impression that dietary fat aided in the uptake of fat soluble vitamins.
    I don't understand. Where do you think the fat for the fat-soluble vitamins comes from if not from dietary fat??
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what's the point of just "eating" a tablespoon of it (or adding it to coffee, smoothie, protein, etc)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm floored by this ahaha....and grossed out
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    i use it in my porridge yummy
    yup and I love it on toast with Trader Joe's Sunnut butter

Here's a great place to find healthy yummy recipes that incorporate coconut oil .. ChocolateCoveredKatie.com
  • astrotam
    astrotam Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My wife has a terrible time eating before noon, so I got her drinking bullet-proof coffee + protein powder. Recipe is simple -

One cup hot coffee

Whizz it all up in a magic bullet and she has a 350 calorie cup of coffee that keeps her full and energized until lunch time.

What a great idea! I love coffee, and I might just try this (probably without the butter, though)!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    if you heat it up, it goes down quicker. my favorite way of using it is, baking sweet potato fries with it.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    i put a scoop of it in my tea, or in with oatmeal, and use it in place of oils for cooking and baking.

what brand did you buy, the loau brand stuff has more of a crisco texture to me and is not cold press so not as healthy. as the organic cold pressed. the good stuff should smell like coconut.

eating it plain is not really my cup of tea :) but it is good in tea and coffee.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just incorporate the oil with cooking.

/thread
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what's the point of just "eating" a tablespoon of it (or adding it to coffee, smoothie, protein, etc)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm floored by this ahaha....and grossed out

I felt the same way when I first saw posts like these on MFP. Honestly, I think it's just the latest food fad. I've researched it and could find no advantages to "taking" it.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

One cup hot coffee

No offense - but that sounds like the worst thing ever:sick:
    nope. It's frothy and really, really good. Leave out the protein powder and it's a latte, only much better for you. Drink it within a few minutes, don't let it sit around for 20. That's when it's gross and will need to be reheated.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options

One cup hot coffee

I'm going to try this. I love coconut oil. It has been very good in clearing the contact dermatitis I've had on my fingers for years. I now cook with it, bake with it, and just rub it into my skin.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Aside from liking the taste, my favorite thing about coconut oil is that when I cook with it, nothing burns. I also use it to season my cast iron pan.

Same, I use it for cooking and my cast iron pan.

Besides that I swish it in my mouth for 5 mins then rinse my mouth out and brush my teeth. It helps make teeth whiter and gums healthier. :flowerforyou: