Coconut Oil Help?

Options

Replies

• lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what's the point of just "eating" a tablespoon of it (or adding it to coffee, smoothie, protein, etc)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm floored by this ahaha....and grossed out

I felt the same way when I first saw posts like these on MFP. Honestly, I think it's just the latest food fad. I've researched it and could find no advantages to "taking" it.

lol, well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm even more amazed by the responses of people who do it! I feel like I'm a freshman in high school again & I find out people I know, my age, are actually have sex. Mind blown.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what's the point of just "eating" a tablespoon of it (or adding it to coffee, smoothie, protein, etc)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm floored by this ahaha....and grossed out

I felt the same way when I first saw posts like these on MFP. Honestly, I think it's just the latest food fad. I've researched it and could find no advantages to "taking" it.
    Medium chain triglycerides, which coconut oil is shows adipose reduction (fat loss) on a calorie for calorie basis and the studies are pretty consistant that it does. Unfortunately the amount of coconut oil for this to happen is in and around 40% of total calories, or there abouts.....basically it's a MCT diet. I guess people have obviously extrapolated that coconut oil is good for fat loss and jumping on the band wagon.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    My wife has a terrible time eating before noon, so I got her drinking bullet-proof coffee + protein powder. Recipe is simple -

One cup hot coffee
    One tablespoon coconut oil
    One tablespoon butter, from grass-fed cows for better fats (supposedly)
    One scoop vanilla protein powder

Whizz it all up in a magic bullet and she has a 350 calorie cup of coffee that keeps her full and energized until lunch time.

No offense - but that sounds like the worst thing ever:sick:
    nope. It's frothy and really, really good. Leave out the protein powder and it's a latte, only much better for you. Drink it within a few minutes, don't let it sit around for 20. That's when it's gross and will need to be reheated.

Well dang, I might have to try this out of sheer curiosity is getting the better of me!

Edit: do you heat up the oil first so it's in liquid form?
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's great as a hair conditioner, hair ball deterrent (my cats eat it as a treat), and also for dry skin.

Cooking side; I use it to pop my popcorn, and saute chicken.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about the benefits of coconut oil for weight loss but I can tell you it is awesome for your hair and your skin. That being said I use it all the time. In smoothies, on toast, on my vegetables, in my granola bars, protein bars, the list goes on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Medium chain triglycerides, which coconut oil is shows adipose reduction (fat loss) on a calorie for calorie basis and the studies are pretty consistant that it does. Unfortunately the amount of coconut oil for this to happen is in and around 40% of total calories, or there abouts.....basically it's a MCT diet. I guess people have obviously extrapolated that coconut oil is good for fat loss and jumping on the band wagon.

Sounds like a "food fad" to me.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I actually use it to cook my eggs in, I usually use it in place of oil, butter and on occasion have eaten it raw i love coconut though. i also use it on my hands my cat loves it too. its really good for thyroid issues

Traditionally, polyunsaturated oils such as soybean oil have been used for livestock feed because they cause the animals to gain weight. These oils are made up of what is known as long chain fatty acids--the kind of fatty acids that promote weight gain.4

Coconut oil, on the other hand, is a saturated fat made up primarily of medium chain fatty acids. Also known as medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), medium chain fatty acids are known to increase metabolism and promote weight loss. Coconut oil can also raise basal body temperatures while increasing metabolism. This is good news for people who suffer with low thyroid function. There have been scores of testimonies to this effect.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use it as a treatment for dry hair and find it's pretty effective, but the thought of putting it in my mouth is totally gross! :sick: I don't like eating oily or fatty things and just don't understand how you'd eat a spoonfull of it. At room temperature it's like lard. Heated up it's just oil. If I needed to take it for medical reasons (can't imagine why) I would need it in a capsule. The coffee mixture is probably one of the most unappealing things I can think of to start the day with! Each to his own I guess. :wink:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'll happily stand corrected. I was not of the impression that dietary fat aided in the uptake of fat soluble vitamins.
    Dietary fat does indeed need to be present in the gut in order for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins to take place.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have used coconut oil for like 6-7 years. 6-7 years ago I weighed like 260lbs. 3 years ago I weighed over 330lbs. It's not some kind of magic oil that you can go around spurting out of your magic wand turning fatties into hotties.
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use it to make vegan coconut rough "chocolate".

Basically, just mix in some coconut oil, desiccated coconut, cocoa/cacao powder, and stevia (or sugar/your sweetener of choice), pour a thin-ish layer into some paper cupcake cups and keep it in the fridge.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Sounds like a "food fad" to me.
    Yup. Except coconut oil is a decent oil and has very little susceptibility for oxidation and the body uses MCT's as energy and generally is never stored unlike all other dietary fats......I use it, but rarely.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I put it on my feet and nails.
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i loveeee coconut oil! It's great in making chocolate (coconut oil + cocoa powder + any sweetener) and it tastes great it smoothies too :3
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking (and moisturizer for my skin) but I wouldn't personally eat spoonfuls of it. While I think it's good for you, I do not think it will make you lose weight, 120 cal for a tablespoon. I don't think it will make you GAIN weight but you have to factor the calories in...
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I add a huge spoonful to my morning coffee, I can't eat breakfast but the coconut oil gives me the energy to get through until lunch. I also use it as a hair mask and body and face cream. I buy organic cold pressed 100% coconut oil, it's a little more expensive but so worth it. My three dogs have a teaspoon full as well each day for their skin.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I also give it to my dog. LOL
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased organic coconut oil as I was told to take at least a tablespoon a day to start. I have NOT used oil of any sorts for years and when I tried to taste it a smidge it was gross. and it looks like crisco. :noway: Wondered if there is anyone out there that uses it and if you could tell me the benefits you have seen from it's use and also, another way to use it so I can take it w/out gagging. haha Thanks in advance for the help :smile:

Why are you "taking" coconut oil?

I started training and was told 1/2 tbsp is good in my protein shake...I tried to eat it plain and YUCK! And I NEVER cook with oil, I fry nothing everything is baked So I never use oil...just wondering what the perks were with taking it as a "supplement" type with lifting and wondered if anyone put it in their shakes or food?

I haven't read the rest of the posts to know if someone said this already. But I NEVER fry anything, but I use tons of oil. I use it when I saute any of my veggies, to grease my pans, to cook eggs, to cook any meat.......
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    My wife has a terrible time eating before noon, so I got her drinking bullet-proof coffee + protein powder. Recipe is simple -

One cup hot coffee
    One tablespoon coconut oil
    One tablespoon butter, from grass-fed cows for better fats (supposedly)
    One scoop vanilla protein powder

Whizz it all up in a magic bullet and she has a 350 calorie cup of coffee that keeps her full and energized until lunch time.

No offense - but that sounds like the worst thing ever:sick:
    nope. It's frothy and really, really good. Leave out the protein powder and it's a latte, only much better for you. Drink it within a few minutes, don't let it sit around for 20. That's when it's gross and will need to be reheated.

Well dang, I might have to try this out of sheer curiosity is getting the better of me!

Edit: do you heat up the oil first so it's in liquid form?

Nope, the hot coffee take care of that just fine.