talk to me about protien powder

Options
2»

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I aim for 120g of protein daily and I can't always reach that with the animal proteins I'm consuming.

I use Optimum Whey 100% Gold Standard, Pure Protein Natural, and if I really have to (if funds are low) Body Fortress, which is the Wal-mart brand.

I generally use it for muscle repair after workouts and I prefer to drink a shake instead of have dinner most nights, since I don't get home from the gym until 8 or so. I mix a scoop of powder with .5c almond milk, frozen banana and a few ice cubes and it's like a milkshake. YUM.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I live in a small rural town with few shopping venues (HEB and WalMart). They both carry EAS protein powder products. Does anyone use this product?

If I have to, I will travel to the "big city" to get what I need, but would rather save the 1.5 hr drive.

I always order off of Ebay and Amazon. Delivered right to your door!
  • bwillingintx
    bwillingintx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Using a protein powder to supplement makes sense if you're having trouble hitting your macros. The 'default' macro setup in MFP is carb heavy (55% I think), and if you adjust that to say, 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat like I have mine set to, you see that it now becomes more difficult to eat enough protein, unless you're careful and or a really big meat eater. It's easier and more convenient to supplement. :smile:

A lot of the manufacturers offer small quantities or sample packs, try before you buy a 5lb bucket! I'm using the ON Gold Standard Whey and Casein products, both are pretty palatable. My son uses the Sun Warrior products if you want a vegan powder...
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Now according to MFP I am always over on my protein so would a protein shake be beneficial for me I do workout 6 days a week.
    Just looked at MFP and it tells me on 52g a day of protein so is that to low for someone who is working out 6 days a weeks
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    what are some good brands there is so much out there

Optimum Nutrition
    MusclePharm
    Cellucor

I just switched to Nutricore Lean Active 7. It has both whey and Egg protein as well as an Amino stack in it. Also the best taste I've come across (Vanilla anyway)
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    WHy do people use it? Why not just eat protein rich foods. Does it have other benefits to it.

1. Muscles need protein to repair and grow. When you lift heavy you form micro-tears in the muscle fibers. This is also one of the reasons you get sore 1-2 days after the lift (no it's not lactic acid build up... that's another topic). All you are doing in the gym is destroying muscle fibers. Muscle growth happens when you are NOT in the gym, after your lift, resting and sleeping. Your body takes protein from its system and uses it to repair the damage you did while lifting. So it is important to have a healthy macro ratio.

2. I use it for convenience after a lifting session and as a filler when my meals fall short of my daily goal. It's also a low-cal way to get clean protein, but it should be a supplement to real food.

3. Some brands/formulas have multiple types of proteins and some have BCAA stacks or glutamine included. If you want pure whey protein you can find it, most people use a brand with the little extras thrown in for recovery.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Now according to MFP I am always over on my protein so would a protein shake be beneficial for me I do workout 6 days a week.
    Just looked at MFP and it tells me on 52g a day of protein so is that to low for someone who is working out 6 days a weeks
    MFP gives very inaccurate protein requirements for anyone working-out often, ESPECIALLY if you lift. A better estimate is 1g of protein per pound of LEAN body mass, give-or-take depending on your own nutritional needs.

As for brands: Check out the label ... get the highest-quality you can afford:

IE: my label says per scoop it has 150 calories total and 35g of protein. At 4 calories per protein gram that's 140 protein calories per 150 calories total, or 93% protein. For contrast, my wife bought some "on sale" that has 120 calories, 25g of protein which is only 83% protein... Some are only 75% protein ... Get the purest you can afford.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just switched to Nutricore Lean Active 7. It has both whey and Egg protein as well as an Amino stack in it. Also the best taste I've come across (Vanilla anyway)
    Taste is pretty subjective. 10 people will give you 8-10 different answers on which 'tastes' best.

My favorite of the more-pure protein powders is the Optimum Nutrition IsoSensation 93.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    I live in a small rural town with few shopping venues (HEB and WalMart). They both carry EAS protein powder products. Does anyone use this product?

If I have to, I will travel to the "big city" to get what I need, but would rather save the 1.5 hr drive.

You want 25-30g in a single scoop. If you have a brand that has 15g per scoop that means you have to use 2 scoops to hit the mark. Most of the cheaper brands are the 15g kind. If you do the math you can end up spending more than if you bought a higher quality 25-30g brand. I used to use Body Fortress (in Target/Walmart) 15g per scoop @ $15 for a 2lb jug. I recently switched to Nutricore Lean Active 7, 30g/scoop @ $54 for 5 pounds. Do the math. Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a good deal.

As for getting it. BodyBuilding.com carries most quality major brands, the prices are competitive and they ship to your door.
  • wswilliams67
    Options

If you are lifting heavy 6 days/week then I'd up it to 100g minimum. Your muscles need protein to grow.
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    Oh... I also cook with mine all the time. protein muffins, vanilla pudding, ice cream, etc. There's plenty of creative ways to use protein powder besides slugging it down from a shaker bottle...

:drinker:
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard? Americans are severely deficient in protein. It's an epidemic!

Why do you think so many Americans are overweight? It's the lack of protein in their diet!

So break out your debit and cop a jug of that fine protein powder. It is the panacea of health nowadays don't cha know. Don't worry that you're spending more in a month on protein jugs than fresh produce. Everyone is doing it and all of them look statuesque.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it so I don't put it in my panakes or cookies.

BUT

I DO drink a shake on certain days, before I exercise, and I like it in a shake and find that I'm fuller than if I just drank juice or ate fruit. I also like it mixed into granola, I find it helps me stay full without adding extra calories.

But - as I always say - you do what works for you.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Not that important but will help meet your caloric needs, makes for a great snack as well
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It's the easiest way to deliver quick protein right after workout. I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate because it's very low in cholesterol at 5mg per scoop, compared to regular whey protein that clocks 60-70 mg. At $0.85 and 120 cals per scoop, I think it's money well spent.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use it on occasion because I get sick of eating chicken and eggs, to be frank.
    I use Trutein by TruNutrition Sciences. I mix with water and crushed ice and it's supah nommy!
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use it because it gives me lots of protein with minimal calories. I can mix with just water or with other things (milk, oatmeal, fruit) if replacing a meal. It is a quick protein boost after a hard workout also.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    THanks you so much for all the info I needed that. So we only have a vtiamin shop and GNC here can I find quality there or do I need to shop online. Well we do have target and walmart but sounds like that is not the best places to go.
  • Tori011578
    Tori011578 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use the protein at unjury.com. It is on the higher end of expensive, but it is definitely worth it. It has good taste and is definitely filling. It is low calorie, low in sugars and carbs, and very good for you. I buy it online and it's delivered right to my door. I work with a nutritionist and regular people who are trying to lose weight should shoot for 65-75 g of protein a day. MFP does not recommend that. However, you can change your daily needs in your profile. Good luck!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    THanks you so much for all the info I needed that. So we only have a vtiamin shop and GNC here can I find quality there or do I need to shop online. Well we do have target and walmart but sounds like that is not the best places to go.

Certain Wal-mart stores sell Body Fortress brand protein powder, which is the brand that I use.