If you think counting calories is not a big deal read on

Options
2»

Replies

• metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Stay focused. The gentle truth after a binge is that it won't show visibly. It takes multiple mistakes over a long time to gain weight.
    If you eat well and exercise the next day, it will be like it never happened.

For me, I enjoy 1/12 of the Costco Take and Bake cheese pizza because it's around 400 calories a slice.
    Or I can make my own with whole wheat sandwich thins, tomato sauce and reduced fat mozzarella for about 130 calories a round.
  • JurassicKitten
    JurassicKitten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just got into paying attention to calories and was SHOCKED to discover that one of the dishes I loved having for dinner (fettucine alfredo) at one of the restaurants I go to with a friend is more than my ENTIRE DAYS allowance of calories!!! Just for one meal! And it's not even that much food :( Terrifying to think how many calories I was putting into my body on a regular basis if that simple dish was so high...
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I never once read calories before starting MFP because I never thought it was important, since finding MFP I have learned otherwise. My daughter turned 12 earlier this month and I told her I would take her out to her favorite restaurant, Longhorn Steakhouse. Before leaving that night I looked their menu up online and I was shocked by the calorie count of what I used to get! I decided on a lean cut of steak with steamed asparagus on the side, a skinny 90 calorie sangria to drink, and we split a dessert. So what could have been a calorie bomb wound up being just over 500 calories...even after I snuck a slice of their warm wheat bread lol.

Sometimes I look at the labels (or look it up here on the database) and I am just shocked at how many calories some items are! I mean how do they manage to cram 1,430 calories into a Applebee's - Quesadilla Burger?? I used to eat a whole one in one sitting! To know I ate almost an entire day's calories in one meal makes me sick to my stomach now not to mention it has 106 grams of fat and 3,390 grams of sodium on top of the calorie count. I am so gad I learned the value of looking at labels!
  • cyndiwilliams1965
    Options
    I never once read calories before starting MFP because I never thought it was important, since finding MFP I have learned otherwise. My daughter turned 12 earlier this month and I told her I would take her out to her favorite restaurant, Longhorn Steakhouse. Before leaving that night I looked their menu up online and I was shocked by the calorie count of what I used to get! I decided on a lean cut of steak with steamed asparagus on the side, a skinny 90 calorie sangria to drink, and we split a dessert. So what could have been a calorie bomb wound up being just over 500 calories...even after I snuck a slice of their warm wheat bread lol.

Sometimes I look at the labels (or look it up here on the database) and I am just shocked at how many calories some items are! I mean how do they manage to cram 1,430 calories into a Applebee's - Quesadilla Burger?? I used to eat a whole one in one sitting! To know I ate almost an entire day's calories in one meal makes me sick to my stomach now not to mention it has 106 grams of fat and 3,390 grams of sodium on top of the calorie count. I am so gad I learned the value of looking at labels!

I agree with you..I never took the time to read labels and I too am shocked at how much I used to eat...I am feeling much better today and hope I never make the mistake I made the other night...Food hangovers suck...^_^
  • Dreams2bFit
    Options
    I used to get a breakfast burrito from a local fast food joint by my house before work and soon after starting up with MFP I looked up the calories. 650!! I get 1300 a day so I was eating half for breakfast. I decided I would get one again but split it in half and eat it for breakfast and lunch. I was not too surprised that it did Not stick with me at all! Sooooo not even worth it- by lunchtime it was soggy and just plain disgusting. But that's what I love about MFP- it's really teaching me to make better choices and decide what is or is not worth the calorie content. That S'mores pizza sounds Delicious by the way:wink:
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    But that's what I love about MFP- it's really teaching me to make better choices and decide what is or is not worth the calorie content.

Sometimes I look something up that I am thinking about eating, like a mini snickers bar, so I look it up on MFP database. Half the time anymore when I see the insane amount of calories I will go "Umm no I think I'll save my calories for something else!" lol!

One time I ate something, I forget what it was, then added it to my food diary so when I saw how bad it was I wished I could have hit rewind so I didn't waste over 100 calories on it lmao!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "If you don't recognize an ingredient your body won't either"

This.... is not true at all.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of foods off my eat list now that I see the calorie counts! It sickens me to know i was putting that in my body!

This!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's just one slice of pizza. Relax. Next time you can have a few slices now you know it was only 250ish calories!
  • WeightTilNextTime
    WeightTilNextTime Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will learn from your mistake. Shrug, then give yourself a hug and be as kind to yourself as I am sure you would be to one of us. Onward! :-D
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    look at the calories before you eat! if If you don't want to look at the calories, face it: you know it won't be good. If I go ahead and decide to eat w/o looking, i learned the hard way (like you) that it is 10x worse to look later when there is nothing you can do about it! So I either decide to look and probably forgo the treat (or limit to a very small amount) or not look and indulge.

we all eat things from time to time that don't agree with our body's newer standards, and we usually pay for it for a day or two. sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it isn't.

Last night my husband and I treated ourselves to a meat lovers Stromboli (we remained within our calories) It tasted great last night but we both had trouble sleeping and felt terrible this morning! Our bodies protested big time to the less healthy food! We will not be doing that again soon! It was actually kind of cool/encouraging because that means ours bodies are happy with good, healthy food! Good luck to all! :flowerforyou: