Anyone Else Who Can't Stand the "Taste" of Water?

Options

Replies

• LisforLee
    LisforLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    best example ever of a first world problem.

^^^ lolz, this.

But really, it definitely tastes different from different sources, and I used to not be able to drink it on it's own ...but I got used to it. :D
  • sjwright66
    Options
    I have lived in the same house all my life. In the middle of the country. With country water.
    There IS a difference in taste from country water to purified, bottled water. When we go to my Grandparents' house in Florida, I cannot wait to get home just because the water there tastes horrible! It has a tangy, bitter taste to it, much like bottled water which I NEVER drink because it tastes gross. It depends on where you are/how purified it is.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I can see kind of where you're coming from. But for me it's because of the slight difference in water between bottled, reverse osmosis, Brita filter, plain tap, etc. All water has a slightly different taste. I'm so used to my Brita filtered water that the reverse osmosis bottled water at work tastes really weird to me...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The tape water from my kitchen sink tastes like it has chlorine in it, but the tape water from the bathroom sink in the master bedroom tastes delicious.

So it is definitely possible for water to have a taste - and it can be certifiably awful.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options

LOL...sending it to my husband. ;-) Thanks for sharing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ok, my husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm hoping there are others out there like me. We've lived 15 different places mostly in the USA, but also around the world (military), & w/the exception of water in a California mountain cabin, I have NEVER liked the taste of water, not even bottled/filtered. Don't like to drink it, & when I have to, I chug it like medicine. So I drink slightly sweetened ice tea to stay hydrated. Yes, I'm like the little girl, Bo, in Mel Gibson's movie "Signs." So I've admitted it...am I crazy, or are there more of you like me? :-)

... what?

it... it has no taste... it's just water... i ... :huh:

Please don't "attack" her. She has a right to state her opinion.
    "now you know how the rest of us feels about things YOU post."

Agreed. You must have weak taste buds if you can't differentiate between different water sources. Where I live we use a filter because the water tastes like it comes out of a pond. My husband says the water where he grew up in Big Spring, Texas tasted like *kitten*. Sweet tea was popular there! LOL. Where my parents live it's got a bit of sulfur to it. Where I grew up it always had a lot of chlorine. There's a mountain spring I've been to that tastes just almost imperceptibly sweet.

I used to be like OP and had to add flavorings to my water just to hit my minimums. Over time I used less and less flavorings and got myself one of those cups with a straw. Something about drinking from a straw encourages me to just suck that stuff down. Now I've developed a "taste" for water and drink tons of it. Even those flavorings I used to use taste nasty to me now. It took several months to build up to it, though.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that scottish water does taste the best.

However, I also can't stand drinking water so always add 'no added sugar' diluting juice in.

The single malt Scottish water rocks.

We are on tank-water here ... from sky to roof to gutter to tank to me ... lovely stuff.

And it does taste different, especially if I've been a bit tardy cleaning the gutters ....
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Some of us are very sensitive to mineral tatses especially chlorine which frankly tastes like a male body secretion :sick: I've been told I'm weird on this one for sure.

I can only drink filtered water. Ice even leaves a residual taste that I sometimes cant stomach, but with with that being said I keep a 100oz Big Gulp filled with water every day. I use a ton of filtered ice and I put a decaf tea bag in mine to steep which has enough tannins in it to cover the taste.

You're not alone, but it is possible to drink your water you just have to get creative.

I am going to have to try this one b/c I can smell & taste chlorine in tap water. I cannot stand to drink plain water. Not sure why & believe me I HAVE tried but I cannot do it. I will definitely try the one tea bag just to cover the taste of the minerals in it. Thanks for sharing that !!! :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Sorry.

I do get bored of drinking regular water and will add lemon or cucumber to it or go to seltzer but water is what I drink all the time.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Some of us are very sensitive to mineral tatses especially chlorine which frankly tastes like a male body secretion :sick: I've been told I'm weird on this one for sure.

I can only drink filtered water. Ice even leaves a residual taste that I sometimes cant stomach, but with with that being said I keep a 100oz Big Gulp filled with water every day. I use a ton of filtered ice and I put a decaf tea bag in mine to steep which has enough tannins in it to cover the taste.

You're not alone, but it is possible to drink your water you just have to get creative.

I am going to have to try this one b/c I can smell & taste chlorine in tap water. I cannot stand to drink plain water. Not sure why & believe me I HAVE tried but I cannot do it. I will definitely try the one tea bag just to cover the taste of the minerals in it. Thanks for sharing that !!! :smile:

Can you get a water purifier?

I'll be honest. We have well water and it was the best tasting water in the world until we had to get a water purifier because the minerals were just wreaking havoc on our pipes. It's ok right now but man I would kill to have the water we had before.
  • charityparker
    Options
    I find it very difficult to drink water....so, I add a little lemon juice. You're not crazy! Everyone is different.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree completely! I'm loving the new Crystal Light drops.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water...so I started dehydrating myself so when I drunk water....it was the best thing on earth...now I'm drinking it over sodas, its tasteless with ice...bottled water is best at room temp. FYI I used to only drink sodas...
  • CassieAudette
    Options
    I agree that water does have different tastes... St Johnsbury VT has some of the worst tasting due to all the chemicals in it. Minerals, chemicals, the homeless person who peed in the "fresh mountain spring" water, all of those things give different tastes to it. I can't drink my town's water unless it is Ice cold. I have to add flavoring to it other wise. You can use cucumber, lemon, ginger, mint leaves etc for some healthy ways to get a little better taste to it!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Water is tasteless. You're imagining things. Gustatory hallucination.

water is not tasteless, specially not with all the chemicals they put into the water supply to make it "healthy" for everyone (cough cough)

Flouride, Chlorine, metals/plastic residue (all of which are poisonous in even medium doses ie 8 glasses a day) from the pipes and in some cases bore water. Least thats for tap water, bottled water can be an acquired taste cause it's not purely filtered they still add crap to it and charge you like a wounded bull for it.

However you aren't totally crazy, i too generally didin't like the taste of purely water always had to add some cordial or something else. but to be fit and healthy your body needs PURE WATER. suck it up and drink it, Boil it if you have to but drink pure water it's the best source of fluids and it will either make you really healthy or if the governments have there way really sick and a zombie to there control freak ways. Either way you can't avoid it, PS there is water in all fruits and veggies too so that counts.
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I HATE the taste of water! It tastes bitter to me. Glad I am not alone :).
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Water is fine...air I detest.

Especially when someone farts.
  • carling5
    carling5 Posts: 4
    Options
    I really detest people who criticize others because they don't like what they like or do what they do. My sister loves liver. I do not. Some of you may find water "refreshing", but others like water as much as I like liver. Water doesn't taste "refreshing" to THEM and requires real effort to drink. The fact that it's "good for you" simply doesn't change that.

You're not "crazy". You just don't like water. Neither do I, but I drink it anyway. Anyone who thinks I'm "crazy" can kiss my grits...and then some.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking water either, plain and simple. If that means that in someone elses opinion I'm crazy, well that's okay too coz it's not me that has the problem - I accepted a long time ago that I DON'T LIKE THE TASTE OF WATER.

Because I don't drink water (apart from washing down my medications with the stuff), my fluid intake is quite low although I seem to function okay. I drink several coffees thru the day but I have to change over to decaffeinated after about 5pm otherwise I don't sleep very well. And I love drinking Coke Zero, Extreme Cola and Decaffeinated Diet Coke. I've been working recently and noticed I needed more fluids so I added lime juice to water and I really enjoyed that, so that's another option. I don't doubt that water is a health necessity - it's just to find a way that I will willingly drink more than 1/2 glass every few hours LOL

And don't bother throwing statements at me about the poor people who have no choice. I'm really lucky that I do have a choice and I choose to flavour my drinking water where I can.

Several years ago my family and I went to Canada for a holiday and did the touristy things around Banff and Jasper. Now honestly I could drink water there all day and every day - it was absolutely beautiful. We live in beautiful New Zealand in shaky Christchurch.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

If you do it over night that works the best, and since its cold it takes longer to steep, but I Love Lemon Bigelow tea works great its just usually my morning water I have to deal with the icky taste since I start steeping in the morning.