A dog you can trust or a dog that will kill?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just a little test, for all us dog owners?

Leave a little doll or teddy bear with your dog when you go our for a couple of hours?

Why?

I don't understand??

My dog only plays with his own toys and his treats. I have stuffed animals on the bed, my husband put one of my teddie bears right on him and he did nothing with it. He "eats" my slippers but only when they're on my feet and I'm playing with him.

I'm not sure what your test is going to accomplish.

This is what the guy on the radio suggested to see how your `animal` reacts to something new in their home?
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a 22month old staffie, i also have his 5 month old biological sister. I do believe it is how you raise them, they are meant to be big, rough bullies but when i was walking my male dog. He heard 2 beagles and a lab all barking at each other and getting aggressive, my boy hid behind me. I've never had my dogs bare their teeth, bark or pay any attention to dogs, humans or food. They have been raised around young children from pups, they never once have tried to assert dominance over them. Even people that come in our home adults are clambered on for affection, kids are licked on the hands and face then left alone.
    It's sad when i fear my dogs being seen by someone and reported for being a pitbull type because of bad press.

All dogs are capable of anything, as long as they are properly loved, trained and cared for things like this will not happen. Don't blame the dog/breed blame the owners.xx
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Hey, take a look at my killer dog.

268571_2268957683840_6887805_n.jpg

251033_2191648311154_8161644_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

230997_2130514262841_5525408_n.jpg

230331_2100946683670_7442904_n.jpg

227225_2060752278835_4965946_n.jpg

224756_2073504917643_3453078_n.jpg

230746_2073506997695_4367834_n.jpg

188339_1954405980244_8287049_n.jpg

250398_2173671221738_5337386_n.jpg

229418_2059671411814_1055578_n.jpg

223491_2059669171758_6288337_n.jpg

229822_2059666931702_728470_n.jpg

206086_1999421145595_3762356_n.jpg

184692_1897999370114_1401784_n.jpg

181756_1897993289962_2878743_n.jpg

180116_1880164364250_2620974_n.jpg

45374_1602070012065_235012_n.jpg

I suggest you visit http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Never leave a child alone with any dog of any size or breed, although I admit 14 was a bit old for that to happen. But many toddlers and infants have been killed by 'cute widdle' toy breeds and sweet golden retrievers that supposedly wouldn't hurt a fly.

Dogs in groups are far more dangerous than a dog alone, too. If it was not the child's home and she was visiting or if the dogs were new to the home that would make the situation even more dangerous. If they were confined in an area and she went into that area that would have added even more to the danger.

I love dogs and my favorite breeds are the large breeds, but a couple were ready to tear me apart one day when I was out jogging not long ago. First time in my entire life I've ever been truly afraid of a dog. Because they didn't see me as a person, they saw me as prey, and what they wanted to do was get me to flee so they could run me down. Really drove home for me the fact that dogs are animals and while they are domesticated they can't be fully trusted, ever.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    There are certain breeds I wouldn't trust around kids. There are also breeds I wouldn't trust around adults! But pitties aren't one of them. I used to be a professional pet sitter and dog walker. I've only been bitten once, and that was by a minpin. Resulted in 9 stitches in my face. Ask me what I think about minpins!

I think the better question is: What the hell was a toddler doing in the backyard with 4 large dogs?!

Edited for spelling.

I was bitten in the face twice by our Cocker Spaniel when I was little. I'm not a fan of Min Pins either. I do rescue transports, and the only time I did not let a dog ride uncrated in my car (they're always tethered) was when I picked up a min pin that acted like he wanted to tear me to pieces. We also have a Yorkie in the rescue that is like a mini Cujo. Not sure what happened to him before we got him. It's sad. Every single Pit Bull or mix has been very sweet. I have a Pit mix myself, and her mission in life is to sneak attack me with kisses.
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is NO "mean breed" or "safe breed". There are poorly trained/poorly raised/abused dogs of all breeds who can turn vicious when cornered or provoked. I've worked in three veterinary clinics & I've been bit by several small "friendly" dogs, but never even growled at by the larger dogs. I'm not saying large dogs cannot be turned mean, but there are no mean or nice traits that are breed specific, anymore than one race of people is nicer or meaner than another.

Edit after reading all the comments: If you distrust any one specific breed, or you can't trust your own pets completely, you are not a dog person & I pity your pets.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Awww @innerfatgirl your dog is the spitting image of my boscoe
  • strippedandvital
    Options
    Two Pitbulls attacked and killed a 14 month old in Wisconsin. I don't trust pits around my boy and I never will.

So if a man kills a baby, do you stop trusting all males? Or if a baby dies in a car accident, do you never put a child in another car?
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What many presenters have failed to recognise and disclose is the fact that these dogs were cross breads not full Staffordshire bull terriers, my sister has a beautiful staffy who is the kindest dog I've Ben around but he has also been raised by equally loving owners! Any dog can be trained into a killing machine whether it be staff or Labrador unfortunately these gang members choose to use Staffordshires! We also have not been aware whether these dogs had been starved for the past god knows how many months and attacked because of this reason (wanting the girls food).

We live in a world of ignorant people who are to quick to judge based on stereotypes and the media. it's not the breed its the owner!

I'd also like to not that even though the girl was 14 when it comes to child attacks, I would never leave any child under 5 in the same room as any breed of dog this is just waiting for an accident of some sort!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have to say though that it also depends on how the dog is breeded and how much inter-breeding has gone on. We had neighbors who had pure bred German shepherds who were (and please excuse the word but I don't know how else to describe them) retarded. I think they were SO inter bred that it made these dogs retarded. When we went out on our back patio and they were out they'd bark. incessantly. They knew my husband. He had been over the house dozens upon DOZENS of times yet every time he stepped on their property the dogs acted like they wanted to kill him, even though they knew who he was.

It's not that they were poorly trained just really, really REALLY inter bred.

I'm a total and complete animal lover and I have had people who have had huge dogs that just turn to putty in my hands and I have been told by the owners that the dogs have never acted that way with anyone. That doesn't mean I trust them. Hell I don't trust my own dog some times because I don't completely know him or what he's capable of.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i don't believe there are really bad breeds, but I do not think young kids should be left alone with dogs, especially babies. Even the best trained, most loving dog in the world.

Children are unpredictable and dogs are best trained around predictable behavior. But also, when a new baby comes dogs can change, they need to adjust. They can get over-protective and bark and bark, or get aggressive with owners they previously had no problem with. The hierarchy of the pack is up for change and they know it. I think sometimes they will kill a baby if they get the chance, if they think their place in the house is threatened.

Just my theory. But enough babies are killed by beloved dogs each year that it seems like there's something more to it than accident.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Even if we all have dog licences and leash our dogs and even go so far as to muzzle them in public, do you think this will help?

It is not going to help this young girl, but I still wonder if people should go on breeding `bull` type dogs?

Although I do understand that a lot of people have `bull ` type dogs that train their dogs and are very caring.

But do you trust your dog in your home completely?

Yes. We've had our dog for about 6 years, and our rabbit for about 4, and our cats. He has never attacked any of them, even they have attacked him. I can rough play with him myself and he'll get excited but he calms down as soon as I tell him to. He doesn't get beaten, he's neutured he lives inside with us, sleeps in our beds and is loved like a child. I trust him as much as I should trust any human. People say animals are unpredictable but what animal is more unpredictable than the Homosapian? Dogs don't torture, murder and rape. Dogs are more at risk from us than we are from them.

Also, if you go on this link http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/, you will see that:

In most dog bite cases, the animal in question was not treated like a family member, but more like a possession. Beaten, left outside, tied up, not trained, not neutured and/or not controlled. In most cases, the child in question was doing something that would instigate any animal to attack.

Most importantly, remember these three points when you make judgements on bull breeds:

1. There is newspaper bias in the way these things are reported. Labrador chews of face of woman? More benign words like 'chewed', 'bit' etc are used. Pit bull PUPPY chews off the toe of a baby it was left alone with? Words like 'mauled', 'devil dog' are used.

2. Anything a dog does that breaks the surface of the skin is considered a bite. So those statistics of pit bull 'bites' include grazing of the skin. Not exactly a mauling, is it?

3. People have trouble identifying pit bulls and other bull breeds, and often, newspapers will label a dog whose attacked as a pittie when it's NOT. I recall reading about a case where a German Shephard attacked someone. The newspaper reported it as a pitbull, and never amended the story when the right information was found.

Just remember, in the olden days, Bloodhounds has the same rap as pitbulls. Then it was Alsatians, dobies, rotties and now Pits. Humans are always looking for someone to blame when we are responsible.

I feel sorry for the girl and her family, but it shouldn't turn into another bloodthirsty hunt for pitbulls and staffies to be banned. What kind of family did these dogs come from? Pitbulls aren't born killers.

In Denver, they banned pit bulls. Took them from their families and killed them. slide_3083_43403_large.jpg.
    Didn't behaviour test them, just killed them because of the way they looked.

Also, read about Lennox, http://www.savelennox.co.uk/, He wasn't even a pitbull, but they killed him because he looked like one.

We need to look at the PEOPLE who own these dogs, ban THEM from owning any animal, people should only be allowed to adopt dogs from shelters and rescues, and breeding needs to be stopped. People should have to prove they can love, own and control a pet. Animals AND people need to protected from bad owners.

Trust me, I could go on about this for days!
  • strippedandvital
    Options
    Even if we all have dog licences and leash our dogs and even go so far as to muzzle them in public, do you think this will help?

It is not going to help this young girl, but I still wonder if people should go on breeding `bull` type dogs?

Although I do understand that a lot of people have `bull ` type dogs that train their dogs and are very caring.

Yes. We've had our dog for about 6 years, and our rabbit for about 4, and our cats. He has never attacked any of them, even they have attacked him. I can rough play with him myself and he'll get excited but he calms down as soon as I tell him to. He doesn't get beaten, he's neutured he lives inside with us, sleeps in our beds and is loved like a child. I trust him as much as I should trust any human. People say animals are unpredictable but what animal is more unpredictable than the Homosapian? Dogs don't torture, murder and rape. Dogs are more at risk from us than we are from them.

Also, if you go on this link http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/, you will see that:

In most dog bite cases, the animal in question was not treated like a family member, but more like a possession. Beaten, left outside, tied up, not trained, not neutured and/or not controlled. In most cases, the child in question was doing something that would instigate any animal to attack.

Most importantly, remember these three points when you make judgements on bull breeds:

1. There is newspaper bias in the way these things are reported. Labrador chews of face of woman? More benign words like 'chewed', 'bit' etc are used. Pit bull PUPPY chews off the toe of a baby it was left alone with? Words like 'mauled', 'devil dog' are used.

2. Anything a dog does that breaks the surface of the skin is considered a bite. So those statistics of pit bull 'bites' include grazing of the skin. Not exactly a mauling, is it?

3. People have trouble identifying pit bulls and other bull breeds, and often, newspapers will label a dog whose attacked as a pittie when it's NOT. I recall reading about a case where a German Shephard attacked someone. The newspaper reported it as a pitbull, and never amended the story when the right information was found.

Just remember, in the olden days, Bloodhounds has the same rap as pitbulls. Then it was Alsatians, dobies, rotties and now Pits. Humans are always looking for someone to blame when we are responsible.

I feel sorry for the girl and her family, but it shouldn't turn into another bloodthirsty hunt for pitbulls and staffies to be banned. What kind of family did these dogs come from? Pitbulls aren't born killers.

In Denver, they banned pit bulls. Took them from their families and killed them. slide_3083_43403_large.jpg.

Also, read about Lennox, http://www.savelennox.co.uk/, He wasn't even a pitbull, but they killed him because he looked like one.

We need to look at the PEOPLE who own these dogs, ban THEM from owning any animal, people should only be allowed to adopt dogs from shelters and rescues, and breeding needs to be stopped. People should have to prove they can love, own and control a pet. Animals AND people need to protected from bad owners.

@InnerFatGirl, you are my Hound Hero =)
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    No breed is a bad breed when trained correctly.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There is NO "mean breed" or "safe breed". There are poorly trained/poorly raised/abused dogs of all breeds who can turn vicious when cornered or provoked. I've worked in three veterinary clinics & I've been bit by several small "friendly" dogs, but never even growled at by the larger dogs. I'm not saying large dogs cannot be turned mean, but there are no mean or nice traits that are breed specific, anymore than one race of people is nicer or meaner than another.

Edit after reading all the comments: If you distrust any one specific breed, or you can't trust your own pets completely, you are not a dog person & I pity your pets.

I think there are breeds that can be statistically more aggressive, but mostly the issue is that the large breeds can do far more damage in a far shorter period of time and to a far larger and stronger person than a small dog breed can. I happen to also think that some of the smallest breeds are the most aggressive and likely to bite.

As for pit-bulls, the only worry I have with them is that I read somewhere they are more likely than other breeds to attack without growling or barking a warning first. Which does not mean I think all pits or any other breed should be destroyed. Far from it. I just don't think dogs of any breed are fully trustworthy and that the owners of all dogs need to be responsible and understand what could trigger dangerous behavior in their own dogs and what increases the likelihood that any dog might become dangerous.

But one thing I thought was interesting was a dog expert who mentioned that crossing some breeds can lead to very mixed up offspring. I think the example she used was crossing some breeds of working dogs with some breeds of herding dogs. But she didn't say what breeds and I have never found anything else on that.
  • jazzii98
    jazzii98 Posts: 33
    Options
    Some dogs are more likely to bite than others. But the reality is as long as you treat it right, it won't bite.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Awww @innerfatgirl your dog is the spitting image of my boscoe

I wanna see your Boscoe!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't trust pit bulls.

I don't understand the obsession in the US with breeding pit bulls. Most of the intact male dogs that I see at the dog park are pit bulls. It makes no sense to me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

@InnerFatGirl, you are my Hound Hero =)

:) I used to be an animal advocate (still am, but not really active anymore). It's something very close to my heart. It's heartbreaking, though :(
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Some dogs are more likely to bite than others. But the reality is as long as you treat it right, it won't bite.

Does that include the rescue that you obtained that you have treated right yet bites people who go on your property?

If you have raised the dog and you raised it right then yes. As long as you treat it right it won't bite but if it's a dog who you have no idea what their background is it doesn't matter how much love and attention and "goodness" you give it if it had a bad upbringing you can't fix that.

Ask me how I know.