cautions on exercise DVDs

Options
2»

Replies

• grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30ds for the past 9 days straight and the warning IS there. It's on a blue screen, right after the liongate, before the ads start up for the biggest loser. You can't skip past them.

Then there is a 2 minute "recommendations" lecture from Jillian you ALSO cannot skip past.

So this thread is a bit confusing.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30ds for the past 9 days straight and the warning IS there. It's on a blue screen, right after the liongate, before the ads start up for the biggest loser. You can't skip past them.

Then there is a 2 minute "recommendations" lecture from Jillian you ALSO cannot skip past.

So this thread is a bit confusing.
    ads? nope. none of those.

perhaps this is because it's the version they ship to the uk, they took out the cautions when they took out the ads?
    or perhaps they were added in or taken out of certain editions.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    I don't know that I've ever seen health warnings on a track itself. I think they might print them in small print on the packaging somewhere. Anyways, yeah, product of a nanny state.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I've ever seen health warnings on a track itself. I think they might print them in small print on the packaging somewhere. Anyways, yeah, product of a nanny state.
    i got out my magnifying glass & everything!
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On my earlier post, I'll note I checked out Ripped in 30 which actually does say to do it 5-6 days per week and always take at least 1 rest day per week.
    She also tells you to have water nearby instead of saying don't take water breaks.
    I'd say that's an improvement.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight "per say" 5'4" 139 lbs and consider myself in good shape, exercising 6 days a week for years, spinning , jogging, lifting, walking, KB, etc however this is my 2nd time starting level 1 (day 6 today) and my knees are killing me :( and I wonder why ?I'm not that old (38) bad form? I think I know better plus I warm up in my elliptical machine for 10 mins, but still, my video has the disclaimer but so what? I wonder how people can finish this for 30 straight days!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention than other than this time I don't suffer from knee pain...
  • Bexamous
    Bexamous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I never liked Jillian's dvds for that exact reason: very little is said about safety. I had knee issues for months after doing a couple of her dvds. Of course it was my fault for haivng bad form but I was just starting out! Anyway. That's just my opinion.

To be fair, there are quite a few times where she makes it clear that good form is important, and I've heard her say a few times "don't do it like this, it's bad for the knees."

That said, I have a really bad hip right now and I'm not sure if it's 30DS, cycling, or a combination, that's to blame for it.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    fyi.... if you cross the street you may get hit by a car...... just in case you need the warning.....
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    i bought the 30ds and i was slightly put off by the lack of health warnings & guidelines.
    divina's work outs all make you listen to a 'consult your doc, do not exercise on pain killers, listen to your body, exercise x times a week.' before you can play the workout. i like that. it reassures me.
    right or wrong, the lack of health cautions being thrust in my face makes me question the entire workout, makes me wonder if the advice given is as safe as it should be.

am i just the product of a nanny state?
    or does it cross anyone else's mind?

Lol@ nanny state are you from the UK?

I can't say it bothers me.
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My copy of the 30 day shred has a warning right before the ads and Jillian gives recomendations for a few minutes at the beginning before you get to the title menu, and you cannot fast foward through it.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i bought the 30ds and i was slightly put off by the lack of health warnings & guidelines.
    divina's work outs all make you listen to a 'consult your doc, do not exercise on pain killers, listen to your body, exercise x times a week.' before you can play the workout. i like that. it reassures me.
    right or wrong, the lack of health cautions being thrust in my face makes me question the entire workout, makes me wonder if the advice given is as safe as it should be.

am i just the product of a nanny state?
    or does it cross anyone else's mind?
    Nah. Standard legal disclaimer. Nothing to worry about or even pay much attention too, IMO.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight "per say" 5'4" 139 lbs and consider myself in good shape, exercising 6 days a week for years, spinning , jogging, lifting, walking, KB, etc however this is my 2nd time starting level 1 (day 6 today) and my knees are killing me :( and I wonder why ?I'm not that old (38) bad form? I think I know better plus I warm up in my elliptical machine for 10 mins, but still, my video has the disclaimer but so what? I wonder how people can finish this for 30 straight days!

Well I am overweight but I weigh a lot less than I used to and I wouldn't have gotten here if I hadn't been jogging and exercising... but when I try 30 DS my feet and ankles tell me NO the next day.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    I never liked Jillian's dvds for that exact reason: very little is said about safety. I had knee issues for months after doing a couple of her dvds. Of course it was my fault for haivng bad form but I was just starting out! Anyway. That's just my opinion.

To be fair, there are quite a few times where she makes it clear that good form is important, and I've heard her say a few times "don't do it like this, it's bad for the knees."

That said, I have a really bad hip right now and I'm not sure if it's 30DS, cycling, or a combination, that's to blame for it.

30DS is the one with synergistic exercises right? (been awhile since last I did it so I'm watching the whole thing again)
    Hmm. Weird. Seems like she does say a lot about form. Probably I was injured by a combo of lack of understanding (English is not my mother tounge) and synergistic exercises which need a strong foundation.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well they have those warning for a reason, some people don't know their medical condition and since they aren't there to physically walk you through and check your form it makes it a little harder.

My freshman year in college guy I knew who was over weight tried to lose it and started his own program without any advice had a heart attack and died because he over did it, so they might not have the answers on the dvd mainly because they don't know your medical history but always go see a doc get checked out before starting any program
    that is so sad :-(

jeez... i don't know what to say to that.

I know a guy from high school that got drunk while partying by the railroad tracks and ended up losing his foot. Should there have been a warning label about railroad tracks on the beer bottles? Or should there have been a warning near the railroad tracks about drinking? Point is, sometimes people make irresponsible choices. All the warning labels in the world can't prevent tragedies.