Coconut Oil Help?

Options

Replies

• Hokiegal78
    Options
    Thank you for ALL these replies. My trainer friend told me to take 1/2 a tsp in my protein shake cuz of all the benefits..i.e. nails/skin plus apparently it boosts energy and makes ya feel a little more "full"....I tried it plain and YUCK!:noway: I will try it in my protein shake in a small dose and see..otherwise..I dont go on "fads" but it seemed some stuff I googled had great things to say about it which is why I presented the question. thanks tho to all of you and your thoughts :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Are you targeting me or is this just a coincidence?

Well I quoted you because I was asking you, if that's what you mean. I honestly want to know where you get these ideas.

You came off kind of like you had it in for me.... again! Anyhoo, I do a great deal of research on my own, I do a great deal of mulling these things over, and when people Iknow happen to have had certain experiences it peaks my interest even more.

I have no idea you are, and I don't really care. I care about your ideas, and the ideas you've had in this thread are very off-the-wall. I have no idea where you heard these things. That's what I'm asking you for.

Please link me to the research that indicates a few tablespoons of coconut oil a day can dramatically raise LDL levels.
  • siliconbased
    Options
    Pardon my intrusion - long time mFP user, just not active recently, and having been through the nutritional wringer on this subject myself (I poured over ALL of the research for many years, and especially recently after I went through with my VSG)

A few things here that I feel the need to point out.

HDL/LDL - there's nothing good or bad about one or the other. It's the ratio you that you should be most concerned about. As long as someone's LDL is proportionate to their HDL, it's fine. It just means that these PROTEINS are doing their job by providing and scooping up the cholesterol in your blood stream.

Cholesterol - It's not the evil thing people are brainwashed into thinking it is. As a matter of fact, no woman should ever take statins to lower cholesterol, unless of course they don't want to live a long life. Men are another story - I still don't believe they should take statins anyway. Cholesterol is VITAL to our organs, cells, lymph, you name it. If it wasn't so desperately needed by our bodies, why then do the vast majority of our cells have the ability to manufacture cholesterol as needed?

Saturated Fats, especially those in coconut oil, clarified Ghee and lard are HEALTHY. Don't let anyone in the medical industry tell you otherwise. There's an interesting article I found recently that shows an experiment where cattle farmers used coconut oil to help them "finish" their livestock to prepare them for butcher. Problem is, the coconut oil was making them LEANER. They had to switch to the stuff that everyone else is being tricked into thinking is good for you but actually is horrible, horrible stuff. (Canola, Corn oil to name a couple.

It makes me sick to think that people think that Soybean oil is any better. Hell, even Wikipedia has it succinctly with facts to back it up:

"To produce soybean oil, the soybeans are cracked, adjusted for moisture content, heated to between 60 and 88 ºC (140–190 °F), rolled into flakes, and solvent-extracted with hexanes."

So to produce soybean oil, they crack them (not unlike coffee roasting from what I've researched), adjusted for moisture content (again, like coffee roasting) rolled into flakes and then solvent-extracted with hexanes. They used essentially what amounts to gasoline (for the overly dramatic flair of course) to extract this "healthy" oil. (smh)

Don't believe everything you read. DO research the snot out of things.

The 3-4 tablespoons a day of coconut oil seems a bit excessive to me - even pre-op, I only used about 2 Tbsp a week in my cooking, INCLUDING on my one vice - stove popped popcorn.

I'm happy to see that there are other people on here that use coconut oil to make the little chocolate treats - my sister makes them (freezes them) and they're outstanding, and you'd never know you were eating essentially 95% oil. It's fantastic!

Saturated fats are NOT the health demons that the modern world would lead you to believe. Oils, namely artifically produced oils, are evil. Trans fats are only part of the truth.

Go against the grain and figure out what works, but I'll put it this way.

I cook entirely with ghee, coconut oil and soon to be lard (waiting for a local natural grocer to get a shipment in) and my latest blood panel was outstanding, and I'm a 32 year old male. 6'3", ~ 364#. My doctor had to look at it twice to be sure it was really mine, and then I told them what I use to cook with.

Even physicians today are misinformed. Don't believe everything people tell you - real life, on these forums or otherwise. Do the research. Start with good sources. Weston A Price has some good stuff on the subject. As do many reputable doctors online. The overwhelming truths that are available are what swayed me. When everyone who was against "big medicine" was saying one thing, it got me thinking. So I tried it. The blood panel is just one of many recently that were markedly improved. Best of all, My attitude kicks butt now. When I avoided fats, saturated or otherwise, I was a depressed moody SOB who couldn't build muscle either.

Not anymore. :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what's the point of just "eating" a tablespoon of it (or adding it to coffee, smoothie, protein, etc)? I've never heard of such a thing and I'm floored by this ahaha....and grossed out

I felt the same way when I first saw posts like these on MFP. Honestly, I think it's just the latest food fad. I've researched it and could find no advantages to "taking" it.

The you obviously didn't research it enough. Also being one of those people who say "I need peer reviewed studies to show it's benefits" without doing your own research can come across as lazy. It has helped two of my friends with cold sores better than other meds from the pharmacy, and there is new evidence that shows that coconut oil could help slow down alzheimer's.

Also I know you didn't mention it in this post, but many do (I have been guilty for it as well), but many "peer reviewed" studies are full of BS - the tobacco industry had many peer reviewed studies showing how tobacco was not harmful... To listen to others isn't always helpful either. Do your own self experiments and see before you knock others who are actually "testing" out potential healthy ideas. nutritional fat is not the enemy in diets.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate using it once-colossal fail. It does, however, make the best eye makeup remover I've ever used.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Many vitamins are fat-soluble, so cooking with oil is actually a good thing, especially with vegetables. Melt your coconut oil and drizzle it on your broccoli or something. It's also really good on popcorn (I have a coconut oil spray, which makes it super easy).

I'm not into all they hype; I just like it.

You're right that many vitamins are fat-soluble.
    You're right that cooking with healthy fats is a good thing.

You're not right that these too facts have anything to do with one another.

Eating fats will help absorb fat-soluble vitamins?

I'll happily stand corrected. I was not of the impression that dietary fat aided in the uptake of fat soluble vitamins.

"Dietary fat, which comes from the food you eat, is crucial to the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins, which includes vitamins A, D, K and E (water-soluble vitamins B and C don't need fat). Vitamin A is essential for good vision, vitamin D for bone health, K for blood clotting, and E for limiting the formation of harmful free radicals."

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/fat-absorb-vitamins.htm

I also study nutrition and health in college so yes it does aid in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins.

A friend recommended to put it on my sweet potatoes in place of butter (which I never use) and sprinkle cinnamon with nutmeg on it. Sounds like a dessert like that to me! :flowerforyou:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... no more than a tablespoon a day. I have seen people say how they just eat 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil a day and next thing you know their triglycerides look great! BUT their BAD cholesterol is through the roof. Moderation with coconut oil is best for sure.

I don't understand how their 'bad cholesterol' can be through the roof when plant-based foods, by nature of what they are, have no cholesterol.

The saturated fat can really impact cholesterol levels. I am assuming this is what happens. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat.

No, that is a myth. Please explain to me exactly how a plant-based saturated fat (that does not contain cholesterol) increases the LDL ratio.

What? LDL isn't increased by dietary cholesterol. You've got your molecules mixed up. It binds with cholesterol to move it about the body. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat (albeit these mid-length chains apparently), of course it is, or it wouldn't be hard at room temperature.

No myths there.

(There is an arguement to make about how much saturated fat contributes to LDL levels. In my book it does increase it, but held body fat is more important, which is why low carb-high fat is the more recent advice. In the long term, it's better to up the dietary fats and decrease the body fat. But the case is not closed on that one.)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI. I do not come here to debate or argue or get into a pissing match. Anyone who has access to a search engine may go look for their own research. I tire of posting a research link just to have the one demanding proof to poo-poo the source. The fact is that once someone has it in their head that someone else is wrong, there is no source good enough. You are welcome to post your research links proving me wrong. Happy hunting.
  • penelopia
    penelopia Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    it's amazing to use in your hair
    Options
    I will say this, It makes a perfect make-up remover. Your mascara will come right off with minimal scrubbing. In fact, just a swipe or two with a cotton ball is all you need. I usually rub about a teaspoon sized amount into my entire face, swipe it all over with a cotton round, then cleanse as usual.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Pardon my intrusion - long time mFP user, just not active recently, and having been through the nutritional wringer on this subject myself (I poured over ALL of the research for many years, and especially recently after I went through with my VSG)

HDL/LDL - there's nothing good or bad about one or the other. It's the ratio you that you should be most concerned about. As long as someone's LDL is proportionate to their HDL, it's fine. It just means that these PROTEINS are doing their job by providing and scooping up the cholesterol in your blood stream.

Cholesterol - It's not the evil thing people are brainwashed into thinking it is. As a matter of fact, no woman should ever take statins to lower cholesterol, unless of course they don't want to live a long life. Men are another story - I still don't believe they should take statins anyway. Cholesterol is VITAL to our organs, cells, lymph, you name it. If it wasn't so desperately needed by our bodies, why then do the vast majority of our cells have the ability to manufacture cholesterol as needed?

Saturated Fats, especially those in coconut oil, clarified Ghee and lard are HEALTHY. Don't let anyone in the medical industry tell you otherwise. There's an interesting article I found recently that shows an experiment where cattle farmers used coconut oil to help them "finish" their livestock to prepare them for butcher. Problem is, the coconut oil was making them LEANER. They had to switch to the stuff that everyone else is being tricked into thinking is good for you but actually is horrible, horrible stuff. (Canola, Corn oil to name a couple.

It makes me sick to think that people think that Soybean oil is any better. Hell, even Wikipedia has it succinctly with facts to back it up:

"To produce soybean oil, the soybeans are cracked, adjusted for moisture content, heated to between 60 and 88 ºC (140–190 °F), rolled into flakes, and solvent-extracted with hexanes."

So to produce soybean oil, they crack them (not unlike coffee roasting from what I've researched), adjusted for moisture content (again, like coffee roasting) rolled into flakes and then solvent-extracted with hexanes. They used essentially what amounts to gasoline (for the overly dramatic flair of course) to extract this "healthy" oil. (smh)

Don't believe everything you read. DO research the snot out of things.

The 3-4 tablespoons a day of coconut oil seems a bit excessive to me - even pre-op, I only used about 2 Tbsp a week in my cooking, INCLUDING on my one vice - stove popped popcorn.

I'm happy to see that there are other people on here that use coconut oil to make the little chocolate treats - my sister makes them (freezes them) and they're outstanding, and you'd never know you were eating essentially 95% oil. It's fantastic!

Saturated fats are NOT the health demons that the modern world would lead you to believe. Oils, namely artifically produced oils, are evil. Trans fats are only part of the truth.

Go against the grain and figure out what works, but I'll put it this way.

I cook entirely with ghee, coconut oil and soon to be lard (waiting for a local natural grocer to get a shipment in) and my latest blood panel was outstanding, and I'm a 32 year old male. 6'3", ~ 364#. My doctor had to look at it twice to be sure it was really mine, and then I told them what I use to cook with.

Even physicians today are misinformed. Don't believe everything people tell you - real life, on these forums or otherwise. Do the research. Start with good sources. Weston A Price has some good stuff on the subject. As do many reputable doctors online. The overwhelming truths that are available are what swayed me. When everyone who was against "big medicine" was saying one thing, it got me thinking. So I tried it. The blood panel is just one of many recently that were markedly improved. Best of all, My attitude kicks butt now. When I avoided fats, saturated or otherwise, I was a depressed moody SOB who couldn't build muscle either.

Not anymore. :)

There is nothing I can add to this, it sums up my own research perfectly. Coconut oil is used as energy and not stored as fat, it along with Ghee and Lard are not bad for us at all. My dietary intake is made up mainly with sat fats, then protein, then carbs. I am T2 diabetic though.
    Options
    I am sure saturated fat is fine.... in moderation! Moderation in all things is key. That seems to be a missed point on MFP across the board.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just an FYI. I do not come here to debate or argue or get into a pissing match. Anyone who has access to a search engine may go look for their own research. I tire of posting a research link just to have the one demanding proof to poo-poo the source. The fact is that once someone has it in their head that someone else is wrong, there is no source good enough. You are welcome to post your research links proving me wrong. Happy hunting.

Well when you show up in a thread and try to claim some nonsense contrary to all actual evidence, expect people to call you on it and tell you that it's nonsense.
  • kaity923
    kaity923 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil when cooking EVERYTHING! It makes everything taste better! And is filled with HEALTHY GOOD fats and tons of other nutritional benefits! Rule of thumb is just to sub it out whenever any type of oil is called for, my Mother and Step-father use it even in their oatmeal! She has Fibro Myliga and he has Parkinson's so they eat it regularly! I love to saute veggies in it with a little seasoning packet or just salt and pepper, also love to cook organic chicken breasts and wild caught salmon in it! I even have recipes for totally healthy guilt free chicken tenders and salmon patties pan fried in coconut oil! My dad has heart disease and I take my food pretty seriously! :) LOL I also love to make spinach Frittatas with tuna, veggies, and no cheese, the coconut oil tastes so good that you feel like you are over doing it but the scale never shows a problem! LOVE IT! Cannot rave enough!!!
    ALSO YOU CAN USE IT AS LOTION, ESPECIALLY WORKS ON ECZEMA!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The you obviously didn't research it enough. Also being one of those people who say "I need peer reviewed studies to show it's benefits" without doing your own research can come across as lazy. It has helped two of my friends with cold sores better than other meds from the pharmacy, and there is new evidence that shows that coconut oil could help slow down alzheimer's.

This post intrigues me. Partly because I am currently working with a Mental Health group on a project re" Alzheimer's and no one in that group has heard of evidence that coconut oil can slow it. Where did you see or hear of this evidence?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I use coconut oil when cooking EVERYTHING! It makes everything taste better! And is filled with HEALTHY GOOD fats and tons of other nutritional benefits!

Other than fat, what other nutrients does coconut oil offer?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    How did a thread about coconut oil become contentious? Coconut is one of the most nutritous foods out there and has so many beneficial uses. It's pretty much my favorite food. Coconut oil, coconut milk, put it in shakes, soups, stews, as cooking oil. Coconut water is crazy high in potassium, the meat is high in beneficial fats. Whats not to love?

You got your shrimp cocktails, your fried shimp, your grilled shimp, your.........
  • jonnythan
    Options
    How did a thread about coconut oil become contentious? Coconut is one of the most nutritous foods out there and has so many beneficial uses. It's pretty much my favorite food. Coconut oil, coconut milk, put it in shakes, soups, stews, as cooking oil. Coconut water is crazy high in potassium, the meat is high in beneficial fats. Whats not to love?

You got your shrimp cocktails, your fried shimp, your grilled shimp, your.........

This is how:

"no more than a tablespoon a day. I have seen people say how they just eat 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil a day and next thing you know their triglycerides look great! BUT their BAD cholesterol is through the roof."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    The you obviously didn't research it enough. Also being one of those people who say "I need peer reviewed studies to show it's benefits" without doing your own research can come across as lazy. It has helped two of my friends with cold sores better than other meds from the pharmacy, and there is new evidence that shows that coconut oil could help slow down Alzheimer's.

This post intrigues me. Partly because I am currently working with a Mental Health group on a project re" Alzheimer's and no one in that group has heard of evidence that coconut oil can slow it. Where did you see or hear of this evidence?
    I don't think there is any good research except some random person that said it helped. If you've done research then you'll know of the ketone connection to Alzheimer's and from what I've gathered the low carb diet is gathering steam for the treatment of Alzheimer's. Anyway the body produces some ketones when coconut oil is consumed and since fat is an integral part of a ketogenic diet, that's probably why it's gathering steam. imo
  • bcattoes
    Options

While the ratio is important, there is something bad about LDL and vLDL. The fact that it's bad is why the ratio is important. LDL causes clogged arteries. HDL prevents it. This is why one is refered to as "bad" and the other "good".

While I agree that statins are over-prescribed in this country and the side effects largely ignored, saying that no woman should ever take them is ridiculous. If a woman is not going to make an effort to control blood cholesterol levels with diet and lifestyle, statins may prolong her life. But diet and lifestyle should always be the preference for any person, regarless of gender. Unfortunately, most people would rather take the med, than make the effort to change their lifestyle. Side effects don't always outway the good in a med.
    Saturated Fats, especially those in coconut oil, clarified Ghee and lard are HEALTHY. Don't let anyone in the medical industry tell you otherwise.

Not true. Saturated fats from animal sources have a worse affect on blood cholesterol levels than from vegetable sources. Grouping coconut oil and lard together is silly. There is plenty of research to back this up.

Don't believe doctors, except reputable doctors online. Here's a link.?? Don't believe what doctors and other people tell you, believe my personal example?? I switched from low fat to a diet that includes fat so that proves saturated fat is good??? :huh: