Coconut Oil Help?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    If your a lipid researcher and scientist there is no good or bad cholesterol, that's a journalistic made up term for us people that don't need to know all the details, because we wouldn't understand anyway.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Pardon my intrusion - long time mFP user, just not active recently, and having been through the nutritional wringer on this subject myself (I poured over ALL of the research for many years, and especially recently after I went through with my VSG)

A few things here that I feel the need to point out.

HDL/LDL - there's nothing good or bad about one or the other. It's the ratio you that you should be most concerned about. As long as someone's LDL is proportionate to their HDL, it's fine. It just means that these PROTEINS are doing their job by providing and scooping up the cholesterol in your blood stream.

While the ratio is important, there is something bad about LDL and vLDL. The fact that it's bad is why the ratio is important. LDL causes clogged arteries. HDL prevents it. This is why one is refered to as "bad" and the other "good".
    Cholesterol - It's not the evil thing people are brainwashed into thinking it is. As a matter of fact, no woman should ever take statins to lower cholesterol, unless of course they don't want to live a long life. Men are another story - I still don't believe they should take statins anyway. Cholesterol is VITAL to our organs, cells, lymph, you name it. If it wasn't so desperately needed by our bodies, why then do the vast majority of our cells have the ability to manufacture cholesterol as needed?

While I agree that statins are over-prescribed in this country and the side effects largely ignored, saying that no woman should ever take them is ridiculous. If a woman is not going to make an effort to control blood cholesterol levels with diet and lifestyle, statins may prolong her life. But diet and lifestyle should always be the preference for any person, regarless of gender. Unfortunately, most people would rather take the med, than make the effort to change their lifestyle. Side effects don't always outway the good in a med.
    Saturated Fats, especially those in coconut oil, clarified Ghee and lard are HEALTHY. Don't let anyone in the medical industry tell you otherwise.

Not true. Saturated fats from animal sources have a worse affect on blood cholesterol levels than from vegetable sources. Grouping coconut oil and lard together is silly. There is plenty of research to back this up.
    Even physicians today are misinformed. Don't believe everything people tell you - real life, on these forums or otherwise. Do the research. Start with good sources. Weston A Price has some good stuff on the subject. As do many reputable doctors online. The overwhelming truths that are available are what swayed me. When everyone who was against "big medicine" was saying one thing, it got me thinking. So I tried it. The blood panel is just one of many recently that were markedly improved. Best of all, My attitude kicks butt now. When I avoided fats, saturated or otherwise, I was a depressed moody SOB who couldn't build muscle either.

Don't believe doctors, except reputable doctors online. Here's a link.?? Don't believe what doctors and other people tell you, believe my personal example?? I switched from low fat to a diet that includes fat so that proves saturated fat is good??? :huh:

wait you still believe saturated fats are bad?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I am currently working with a Mental Health group on a project re" Alzheimer's and no one in that group has heard of evidence that coconut oil can slow it. Where did you see or hear of this evidence?
    There's one story of a doctor that gave her husband a daily dose of coconut oil. His cognitive functions improved, seemingly halting the progression of his Alzheimer's disease. This same story is cut, pasted and repeated all over the internet.

There haven't been any studies to show the benefits (or lack thereof) of consuming coconut oil. Who knows if it's actually beneficial?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I am currently working with a Mental Health group on a project re" Alzheimer's and no one in that group has heard of evidence that coconut oil can slow it. Where did you see or hear of this evidence?
    There's one story of a doctor that gave her husband a daily dose of coconut oil. His cognitive functions improved, seemingly halting the progression of his Alzheimer's disease. This same story is cut, pasted and repeated all over the internet.

There haven't been any studies to show the benefits or lack thereof consuming coconut oil. Who knows if it's actually beneficial?
    Exactly. The connection with coconut oil are ketones and the ketogenic diet is shown to have some benefit, which is basically a low carb diet and because the body produces ketones when coconut oil is consumed, that correlation it appears ir being made.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Without debating the semantics of "bad", my answer is yes and no. I believe saturated fats from dairy and red meat are "bad". By that I mean they are fats that it's better to eat less rather than more of. But, no. I do not believe all saturated fats are "bad".
  • bcattoes
    Options

There haven't been any studies to show the benefits (or lack thereof) of consuming coconut oil. Who knows if it's actually beneficial?

OIC Well, I suppose one anecdotal story is "evidence" of a sort, but I understand why a research group would not consider it so.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking and as a skin lotion. Can't say it has any magic weight loss powers, I just like it and so does my cat. Seems to work for hairballs if you have that issue.

My cat loves coconut oil too but I was worried it was bad for her. This would explain why she hasn't had any hairballs in a longtime!

As for me, I use coconut oil with shea butter as a body moisturizer. I use it alone as a face moisturizer. And I also cook with it!

The funny thing about using it on my skin is that people think I'm wearing perfume. I always get compliments lol!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Without debating the semantics of "bad", my answer is yes and no. I believe saturated fats from dairy and red meat are "bad". By that I mean they are fats that it's better to eat less rather than more of. But, no. I do not believe all saturated fats are "bad".

thanks for not debating the semantics. and that's fair.
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i like to smear that all over my body.

:flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    My girlfriend and I eat over two Tbs a day. We cook everything in it. Trader Joes as a great coconut oil and its very cheap .
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I cook with it or add it to my protein shakes. It's also good on toast with marmalade, the orange flavor goes well with the mild coconut taste.
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil as it's good for decreasing the inflammation in your body. I usually fry my eggs in it or use it in my smoothies.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

OIC Well, I suppose one anecdotal story is "evidence" of a sort, but I understand why a research group would not consider it so.
    [/quote]
    No doubt. If a research group spent the time and money to do an actual study these threads would be lacking in speculation and conjecture. Where's the fun in that?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use the coconut oil spray instead of olive oil. The only thing I don't like about it is you can taste coconut in everything you cook, and I'm not a coconut fan. However, it helps with the thyroid, so it boosts metabolism and it helps control blood sugars by improving insulin use in the body.

It is also a great anti fungal.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I spread a little on a healthy ryvita cracker and then a tsp of sunbutter over that. You can put peanut butter or almond butter ( in replacement of sunbutter) on top if you like. I am allergic to peanu ts.
    Its delicious that way.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI. I do not come here to debate or argue or get into a pissing match. Anyone who has access to a search engine may go look for their own research. I tire of posting a research link just to have the one demanding proof to poo-poo the source. The fact is that once someone has it in their head that someone else is wrong, there is no source good enough. You are welcome to post your research links proving me wrong. Happy hunting.

Well when you show up in a thread and try to claim some nonsense contrary to all actual evidence, expect people to call you on it and tell you that it's nonsense.

Carry on.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's not some kind of magic oil that you can go around spurting out of your magic wand turning fatties into hotties.

But wouldn't it be cool if it was? Could the magic wand be purple with lavender sparkles on it? 'cause I love purple.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    I am afraid to ask.. but I will :embarassed: Do you guys log the coconut oil in your diary or not... like if I add it too cook food and am using it to cook with or putting a wee in my coffee... and I count it.. it seems like it is hard to stay under my fat limit.. is this a fat that should be logged? (I usually log everything and try to keep all my "fats" "good" fats... but am confused now...:sad:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to ask.. but I will :embarassed: Do you guys log the coconut oil in your diary or not... like if I add it too cook food and am using it to cook with or putting a wee in my coffee... and I count it.. it seems like it is hard to stay under my fat limit.. is this a fat that should be logged? (I usually log everything and try to keep all my "fats" "good" fats... but am confused now...:sad:

First I'd suggest against weeing in your coffee. That doesn't sound good.

And yes, I log everything that I eat, no matter what, and no matter how little. Sometimes I'll log 1/2 or 3/4 of oil I cook with if I feel significant amounts were left in the pan.

How do you have your macros set? Many suggest changing the MFP default to 40/30/30 C/P/F. This generally results in approx 1g of Protein per pound lean mass and 0.65g fat per pound of body mass.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Fat has more than twice the calories of carbs or protein. If you are trying to watch calories you should definitely log all fat consumed.