List of things worth living for.

Options

Replies

• liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    A book I love is called 10,000 Things to Praise God for, by Jan Lynette Dargatz. Get it, read it and circle or underline some of your favorites, make a list of, say 20 or so that are most meaningful to you, and post it around you. Your bathroom mirror, your desk at work/school, your bedroom wall--wherever you will see it a lot. Hold these things close to you.

And remember that there are people HERE who love you, who are praying for you and who would be devastated for you. This mom loves you and cares about you very much, honey. I just wish I could be closer to put my arms around you and say, "It's going to be okay. You can do it, you can get there."
    I come from an abusive background and have struggled with depression for years, so I do know what I'm talking about. And I'm almost twice your age, so have enough life experience to say that this too, will pass. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you can get past it. Give yourself credit for what you have done so far. And remember--you are loved.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am Type 1 Bipolar. I have an abused history where my parents have told me they wished I were dead. You are not alone.

I am currently on Lamictal, 400 mgs. It is, to date, the most stable medication I have been on. Over the last four years I have tried: Paxil, Zoloft, Amitryptiline, Temazpam, Abilify, Rispordal, Trazadone, and Hydroxozine. In writing this, I feel like I might have left a med or two out, but can't quite remember.

The point of this is that you need to keep trying - especially with medication. Bipolar by psychology is not enough. You will continue to spiral out of control. You will continue have suicide ideation. You will not get better. We have a chemical disorder. That requires chemical treatment. One - or two or three - bad experiences with medication does not warrant swearing off them completely. It is only an excuse.

And no - you do not get to hurt other people. You do not get to lash out at others because you were hurt. You do not get to do to others what was done to you. That is not allowed. You will not heal, you will not feel better, you will only be digging yourself further and further into self-hatred.

What they did to you does NOT give you permission to do the same to others. Being dealt that pain DOES NOT give you free reign to hurt other people. You do not have that right. It is unfair and it hurts and it is cosmically cruel that you have to live with it.

But you do. The more work you do on what they did to you, the easier it becomes not to hurt other people.

There is a danger to asking people you don't know what they are living for. It will remind you of what you do not have, which will make you feel worse. There are safer places for this line of questioning - which is a valid question. It will not help to toss it out to the general public.

Your parents - and likely other people - were abusers. Contemplating if they were right will not help you heal.

You have reached out which is admirable. But the help you will get here is not what you need. It will only add to the pile of "Well I tried this and it didn't work", when in reality, what you're trying CANNOT help. You are looking for hope in a place where people cannot give the kind of hope you need.

You don't stop here. You don't lay down the sword on the battlefield and accept your fate as one of never ending agony. You keep going. You keep trying. You. Just. Don't. Stop.

"If you're going through Hell - DON'T STOP. KEEP GOING." The wastelands of mental illness and the frustrations about treatment do not ever go away. No one will be able to make that promise to you and be able to keep it. But you can get better. You can rise out of it. You can reach ground zero and you can build up from there.

You just have to keep going. Find the right people. Find the right treatments. Be ready for both of those to change - our illness shifts (both chemical and mentally) - there will never be a place where it stays good all the time.

But you do not stop. You keep going.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yourself!!!! you are worth it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm someone that "think positive" has worked for. But it's not as simple as "think positive." It's really frickin hard work actively LOOKING for the positive when I know it's my natural inclination to see the negative first. Like doing a word-find puzzle. There will be words that jump out at you, but sometimes the word you're looking for is going to be backwards and diagonal. It's hard to find. But it's still there.
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, seek help.

Secondly, realize that for most those feeling are nothing more than chemicals in the body gone sack, so you cannot trust your feelings.

Third, meditate and start looking within for beauty and solace.

Lastly, volunteer and help others. That is the best medicine.

I would say, first and foremost: meditate.
    I used to be a slave to how I felt.
    But feelings are temporal and transient.
    Meditation really changed my life.
    It's worth a go.

Best of luck.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    my kids! they need me!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Things worth living for: seeing an ant on the sidewalk.

I believe death is the end. Most religions believe that even in afterlife, death is forever.

Either way, you will have the rest of time to be dead. A trillion, trillion years of dead. You will one day be dead forever, that much is unavoidable.

You will never again be able to crouch down on a sidewalk and stare at the marvel of design that is a tiny, segmented, six-legged ant, a little brute that can carry fifty times its weight.

All of everything goes away when you die, and you can't get it back.

The list of things to live for is infinite. The list of things to die for is very short indeed. The list of things to kill yourself over is the shortest list of all. Sooner sell all your things and buy a plane ticket to an island paradise somewhere; set up a smoothie stand and live out your days there. Do a million and one things before tearing up your tickets to life.

You will not get a second chance if you leave.
  • Ginoo
    Ginoo Posts: 56
    Options
    First and foremost, seek help.

Secondly, realize that for most those feeling are nothing more than chemicals in the body gone sack, so you cannot trust your feelings.

Third, meditate and start looking within for beauty and solace.

Lastly, volunteer and help others. That is the best medicine.

Totally agree. Your happiness comes from inside. Learn to meditate. It will change your life in ways you cannot even imagine. It feeds the soul.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Sunrise and sunset.

Looking out over a rarely touched landscape away from everyone and everything that this world has become. Then finding your place in it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am Type 1 Bipolar. I have an abused history where my parents have told me they wished I were dead. You are not alone.

I am currently on Lamictal, 400 mgs. It is, to date, the most stable medication I have been on. Over the last four years I have tried: Paxil, Zoloft, Amitryptiline, Temazpam, Abilify, Rispordal, Trazadone, and Hydroxozine. In writing this, I feel like I might have left a med or two out, but can't quite remember.

The point of this is that you need to keep trying - especially with medication. Bipolar by psychology is not enough. You will continue to spiral out of control. You will continue have suicide ideation. You will not get better. We have a chemical disorder. That requires chemical treatment. One - or two or three - bad experiences with medication does not warrant swearing off them completely. It is only an excuse.

And no - you do not get to hurt other people. You do not get to lash out at others because you were hurt. You do not get to do to others what was done to you. That is not allowed. You will not heal, you will not feel better, you will only be digging yourself further and further into self-hatred.

What they did to you does NOT give you permission to do the same to others. Being dealt that pain DOES NOT give you free reign to hurt other people. You do not have that right. It is unfair and it hurts and it is cosmically cruel that you have to live with it.

But you do. The more work you do on what they did to you, the easier it becomes not to hurt other people.

There is a danger to asking people you don't know what they are living for. It will remind you of what you do not have, which will make you feel worse. There are safer places for this line of questioning - which is a valid question. It will not help to toss it out to the general public.

Your parents - and likely other people - were abusers. Contemplating if they were right will not help you heal.

You have reached out which is admirable. But the help you will get here is not what you need. It will only add to the pile of "Well I tried this and it didn't work", when in reality, what you're trying CANNOT help. You are looking for hope in a place where people cannot give the kind of hope you need.

You don't stop here. You don't lay down the sword on the battlefield and accept your fate as one of never ending agony. You keep going. You keep trying. You. Just. Don't. Stop.

"If you're going through Hell - DON'T STOP. KEEP GOING." The wastelands of mental illness and the frustrations about treatment do not ever go away. No one will be able to make that promise to you and be able to keep it. But you can get better. You can rise out of it. You can reach ground zero and you can build up from there.

You just have to keep going. Find the right people. Find the right treatments. Be ready for both of those to change - our illness shifts (both chemical and mentally) - there will never be a place where it stays good all the time.

But you do not stop. You keep going.

Just bumping this particular post to increase the likelihood that it is not overlooked.
  • bartman52
    bartman52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To know Him, to Love Him and to Serve Him. That is what you were created for....Him is God by the way...Happy Good Friday.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Hummus, and puppies to play with while I eat my hummus.

Sounds messy. :) I have hummus and a 75 lb. lab collie cross who aspires to be a lap dog. Close enough. :)
  • smsjaf
    smsjaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The love of my life, my future kids, my job, my family,.......
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    LIFE is worth living, never give up, darkness is now present for a reason to help you grow and it will pass!

So many amazing things worth living for:

Sunsets & sunrises
    Fresh air in my lungs
    Ocean, rivers & lakes
    Dogs
    Delicious food
    Wine
    Family
    Music
    Art
    Naps & sleeping in

I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A purpose in life.

8488541.png
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Disney. Seriously.

I love love love Disneyland.

/supergeek
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    bump for later
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Aside from the obvious of my husband, family, friends...

my cats. long walks on a nice, sunny day. and frozen yogurt.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Football
    Sex
    Great healthy food
    Sex
    Family
    Friends
    Sex
    Camping
    Hunting
    Sex
    Nascar
    Golf
    Sex

Just to name a few
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    The feel of being pinned to the seat back in a 400+ HP street car.
    The shakes you get after going WAY too fast on a motorcycle.

And, as corney as it sounds, helping others. There is something about lending a hand, literaly or emotionaly, that makes you feel like, at least that one day, you were able to help someone else.