Low carb diet plan

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had or know where I can find a low carb diet plan. I am intrested in starting one and would like some ideas on where to look. Id prefer not to have to sign up and pay for a diet plan.

Thanks,

Bryan

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    What are your goals?

Unless its for health reasons a low carb diet is unessential. Also go for a diet that you can do for the long term (not a quick fix, you'll burnout) .

To put a low carb diet simply Eat Lean Meat, Veggies, and fruit. Its really that simple. Go paleo ( there are many free guides online, Google is your friend) I guess and avoid grains and processed food. That and Atkins seems to be popular but people I have known burnout on these low carb diets quickly because once you introduce all those foods you love back into your diet you'll gain that weight back and I've seen several times.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937860-how-to-lose-fat-for-newbs

Go for the long term and have a healthy relationship with all food and enjoy that cookie or that bowl of ice cream. That's my two cents. Peace.

PM me for anything or friend me if you wish.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Firstly, why are you considering going low carb?

Secondly, all the information is in the database. Record your food in yoru diary - look at it - see where the big carb-hitters are - eat less of them.

Meat and fish, eggs, cheese, nuts will be your friends. Dont be tempted to cut down on veggies, but watch out for the very sugarry fruits.
  • Haltermania
    Haltermania Posts: 288 Member
    i am trying to cut weight and obviously fat but gain muscle in the process. i already started a new workout plan for the muscle build. i am trying to lose about 10 more pounds. yea i saw the Atkins diet plan and what i am allowed to eat but like you said i saw comments of when certain foods come back you start gaining weight again. i saw the south beach diet that said to cut out fruits for atleast the first phase.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Don't go for Atkins or South Beach, they're too extreme.

I'd suggest making small changes. Do you eat the same thing every day? I noticed your diary only goes back a few days but it was pretty samey :smile:

Start with breakfast - lose the fruit juice, and make eggs instead of cereal. The mac-n-cheese is your next big one - can you find something with less pasta? Maybe a cauliflower in a cheese sauce?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    OP, If your profile pic is current, unless you're diabetic/pre-diabetic or have metabolic syndrome (and you don't look like you have metabolic syndrome) you likely don't need to be low-carb. The exception to this would be none-of-the-above BUT hypertriglyceridemic - (having high fasting serum triglyceride levels), which are best-controlled by both reducing carbohydrate while simultaneously increasing healthy dietary fats.

If you DO fit into one of those health categories then I recommend the NEW Atkins revolution (not the older, less-researched original Atkins) - the books are available free in any library and there's literally thousands of good web sources for it.

The other option is any good paleo diet, which relies on whole foods and eliminates all refined carbohydrate. (My caveat on paleo diets is that they universally eliminate grain - which I don't necessarily believe is necessary - I do NOT believe modern wheat is healthy, but other whole grains such as barley, quinoa, steel-cut oats, etc., are NOT as bad as wheat.)

FYI many people that aren't diabetic get excellent results (both weight-loss and triglyceride improvement) simply by eliminating refined carbohydrate (basically flour and sugar) from their diet and changing from less-healthy fats to healthier ones.

Examples of less-healthy fats: Trans-fats, any refined oils, grain-fed beef, any 'factory-farmed' meat for that matter. (On oils, my rule of thumb is if you can squeeze it and get oil out, it's healthy ... whereas if it has to be 'refined' to get oil ... it's NOT.)

Healthy fats: natural sources such as almonds, olives, avocado, coconut oil, grass-fed/free-range meats, eggs, cheese, etc. Any fat/oil that occurs naturally and we've been eating for 10's of thousands of years is generally a healthy fat.
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Why would you do that to yourself when there are so many more effective and delicious ways to lose weight and gain muscle?
  • Griffin220x
    i am trying to cut weight and obviously fat but gain muscle in the process.

Pick one, you'll find it much easier. Try to gain muscle and lose weight is a very difficult and slow process. It takes a lot of dedication. You'll lose fat very slowly and your muscles gains will be very slow. It is possible and doable. Personally, I would not but I wanna give you both view points so you are aware of the decision you're about to make. If you're already on a muscle building workout plan, then stick with it! Bulk for a while then when you're satisfied with your muscle gains start cutting and lose weight.

**edit btw doing both can be very frustrating, I have tried it and if you're like me you won't have the patience to do both. A month in, you might look in the mirror and get discouraged and quit because you don't see that shredded guy staring back. Again it is a sloooooowwww process.
  • albertabeefy
    Don't go for Atkins or South Beach, they're too extreme.
    That's a pretty subjective and blanket statement. I haven't personally researched South Beach in-depth but I can say with certainty that the 'new' Atkins is very heavily clinically researched and will do exactly what it purports (and healthily) if followed.
    I'd suggest making small changes. Do you eat the same thing every day? I noticed your diary only goes back a few days but it was pretty samey :smile:

Start with breakfast - lose the fruit juice, and make eggs instead of cereal. The mac-n-cheese is your next big one - can you find something with less pasta? Maybe a cauliflower in a cheese sauce?
    I agree fruit-juice is very bad for anyone. Even 100% fruit juice (with no 'added' sugars) has as much sugar as 6 servings of the fruit. Most people wouldn't eat 6 apples at one sitting, but will quickly down a 10oz glass of Apple Juice with no realization they get as much sugar with NO benefits of fiber or nutrients in the whole apple. (Also of note, a 10oz glass of pure Apple Juice has just as much sugar as a can of Coke or Pepsi...)

Cauliflower and/or Broccoli with cheese sauce is wonderful.

As for trying to cut-weight and gain-muscle ... almost impossible unless you're genetically gifted or 17 years old. Gaining strength while cutting weight is possible, but not usually gaining muscle (except for what many call 'newb-gains'). As Griffin220x said, bulk (gain muscle) until you're happy, then diet down. I do this cycle myself 2-3x a year. I'm currently in my cutting phase...
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains

Very helpful group of people, a well thought out FAQ, and instructions on how to setup MFP for low carb. I tend to agree with others that building muscle on keto isn't the best approach, but its certainly possible.
  • Haltermania
    Yea i went back and looked at my diary and cutting out Orange Juice and the Mac n cheese is prob the first start, As of right now its pretty much the samething i eat for lunch and switch up dinner with salmon or chicken. No health problems here I wanted to try something new since i have never really been on a diet plan since i played college football. im going to go out on a limb and say that this low carb diet is probably not the best idea for me and to just be more aware of what i am taking in.

Even if i dont have to build muscle i would atleast like to stay in the range of what i can lift. i am not sure if i am wording that right. i guess it could be considered toning or something along those lines. would that be a ideal way then? dont go for max lifting but more for reps?
  • cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Atkins is good for short term, then you can move to a less strict regimen after you get to your goal, but still watching carbs.

Atkins work, it's a lot of protein which feeds your muscles, and you lose quick.
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    I have to do a reduced carb diet for health reasons but I have found that the zone diet is a good way of getting there. It limites your carbs to 40% instead of the standard 50%, balancing the rest with healthy fats and proteins

Unfortunately, my diet is still a work in process as I am only 2 weeks in to restarting it. (Although, already I have a lot more energy!) But lean meats (turkey, chicken and a little pork) have been very helpful. As well as limited amounts of peanut butter and fruits.
  • Griffin220x
    Even if i dont have to build muscle i would atleast like to stay in the range of what i can lift. i am not sure if i am wording that right. i guess it could be considered toning or something along those lines. would that be a ideal way then? dont go for max lifting but more for reps?

You can still stay in the range of what you lift while cutting but it will be slightly lower. And YES YES YES GO for your max lifts the whole point is to "retain" strength and mass while cutting and lose fat, You can also do accessory work and go higher reps. There is no harm in a mix of both when it comes to training.
  • albertabeefy
    When I'm in my cutting-phase I use a ketogenic diet for 2 reasons:

1. I'm diabetic and it best-controls my serum glucose levels
    2. It's proven VERY effective at fat-loss with muscle-retention.

The key is to ensure you eat enough to avoid catabolizing muscle tissue, and don't do "chronic cardio" - HIIT is more effective in retaining muscle mass while dieting. As for intake, TDEE minus 20% is pretty effective for this as a rule of thumb for most people.
  • I follow south beach life. I usually eat on the second phase unless I need to rekickstart my weight loss then I revisit phase one. I needed to do this diet for health reasons. Its good for your heart (created by a heart doctor) and great for my diabetes. My doctor is on board with me eating this way. The goal is really to gain complete control of my diet only controlled diabetes.
    Read the books you'll see he's about clean eating. I also downloaded a free android app that gaves you daily tips. But it only runs when I open it. I've learned to make hot wings that aren't fried or breaded and healthly and that's the true goal right?

Good luck!
  • Leo_729
    Leo_729 Posts: 5
    If you shop the outside of the store you will hit all the REAL food. Meat, Produce, Dairy. Avoid the center rows as this contains all your chemicals-cleverly-disguised-as-food products. If I want bread, I make it myself. I am much less likely to eat pizza when I have to go through the hassle of making the dough myself- though I do, every friday. :)

My motto. If it needs a label telling you what is in it .. . you probably should not eat it.
  • Haltermania
    I appericiate the input from everyone. I am definately going to have to create a list and from what people have said on here turkey, chicken, salmon, veggies and some fruits will definately be a good starting point. this maybe a very dumb question, but when i cut out my carbs as far as selecting better foods, that should not affect my muscle gain? or i shouldnt lose any muscle as long as i am wokring out correct?

how long should i go once i start before increasing my carbs? and what i mean by that is maybe extra fruit or veggies etc.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Google carb cycling.. It's your best bet..
  • My husband and I have enjoyed this plan and these recipes from the Scarsdale diet plan. It's so much more inclusive than Adkins. It's all laid out for you day by day, meal by meal. They've done the planning for you. Here's the link.
    lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/id18.html
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,022 Member
    I eat "low carb" I don't metabolize carbs well, and this was decided not by me, but by my health care provider and a nutritionist. The nutritionist placed me on the ADA diet, consisting of no more than 150 carbs per day. You need carbs to have energy, so super low carb diets like Atkins will work, but you just won't have the energy. The ADA diet is set up to balance your carbs through out the day, so you have some at breakfast, some in a snack, more in lunch, then again in dinner. I lost 9 lbs the first 2 weeks doing this, but in total honesty, I was probably eating 300-400 carbs a day.