PISSED ABOUT CALS BURNED!

Options
2»

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The 127 burn number sounds about right. You don't burn calories very quickly while walking, especially at only 3mph.

IMO, eat more real food, shakes can be a nice SUPPLEMENT if you need more protein but I think you will find better success by eating real food. Not that that was your question, but I feel obligated to be annoying today.

127 sounds WAAAAAY off to me. Maybe for someone ~100-120 pounds it would be closer to accurate.
  • lisacsmith16
    lisacsmith16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, you don't need a "burn"...there is a massive calorie deficit from your maintenance level of calories in that 1,200 number...seriously, do you think that's your maintenance...birds maintain on more than that. Also...eat back your exercise calories...or don't, I'm tired of caring about you crazy women who love starving your bodies. Enjoy the nice long plateau and other issues that ultimately arise from basically having an eating disorder.

WOW........How dare you be so NASTY to someone who was just asking a question... as far as calling me crazy, who loves to starve my body...... I am just using the cals that this page told me to use... was unsure about all the cals burned. And you have to be nasty????? You should be real proud of yourself!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a good way to improve your health and fitness, but it is a bad way to lose weight. Your body is just too efficient, so your primary focus should be on calories consumed.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a good way to improve your health and fitness, but it is a bad way to lose weight. Your body is just too efficient, so your primary focus should be on calories consumed.

I personally have to do both. Exercising helps reduce my appetite significantly. If I haven't worked out for a couple of days, I find myself hungry a lot more. I would not be losing weight consistently if I didn't exercise as much as I do.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating them back......why dies it matter?

It's an estimate. Some machines are better estimates than others, but even a Heart rate monitor is only an estimate.

The voice of good reason.

The only true monitor is the tape measure and maybe a cheap pair of fat calipers. HRMs are no more accurate than MFP guesstimates for calorie readouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, you don't need a "burn"...there is a massive calorie deficit from your maintenance level of calories in that 1,200 number...seriously, do you think that's your maintenance...birds maintain on more than that. Also...eat back your exercise calories...or don't, I'm tired of caring about you crazy women who love starving your bodies. Enjoy the nice long plateau and other issues that ultimately arise from basically having an eating disorder.

WOW........How dare you be so NASTY to someone who was just asking a question... as far as calling me crazy, who loves to starve my body...... I am just using the cals that this page told me to use... was unsure about all the cals burned. And you have to be nasty????? You should be real proud of yourself!

I do dare, because there are about a million of you on MFP doing the same thing...haven't read any of the stickies and don't understand how this tool works even though it is well spelled out. 1,200 calories net is your goal...that would be net of exercise...that would mean that you eat your exercise calories back to fuel that activity...that would be because MFP considers exercise "extra" activity when calculating your calorie goal. MFP uses your NEAT, not your TDEE. You will note that MFP ups that calorie goal when you log exercise...hmmmm...wonder why that is. Maybe because it's a goal...a goal is something to be achieved. Start achieving your goals.

Sorry you're mad...but I'm glad I got your attention. I don't really believe in sugar coating things when people are doing potential harm to their body that can easily be avoided by simply understanding how to use a specific tool.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am just using the cals that this page told me to use... was unsure about all the cals burned.

MFP is set up such that you get the minimum calories you can safely consume. When peple are telling you that you shoud 'eat your calories back' they are right. If you are set for 1200/day that means on a sedentary day and when you work out you'll need to fuel your body. And you can only do that confidently when you have an accurate reflection of what you burned. A personal device is going to be your best bet (HRM, BodyBug, FitBit) are going to give you the best estimate -- everything else is a 'pretty good guess'.

And go easy on the guy who said he was sick of gals starving themselvs and then complaining that they aren't loosing...there are a LOT of those girls around here and it does get a bit tiresome.

You can read "in place of a road map" or follow Scooby or Fat-To-Fit and be healthy. Just make sure you put in your reading and learn and then experiment until you find what works for you. You'll find a little thumbtack by the stuff that's really important to read through so that you have a good understanding of how each of those plans work.

We were all new at this at one point and we all struggled thorugh the numerous acronyms and figuring out how to make this whole thing work.

Good luck and don't hesitate to friend me if you want.