Glucosamine for bad aching knees does it work

Options
HAs anyone tired this and found it helped aching knees. I am a runner and have had no trouble with my knees until now after I started some beach body workouts. (BBL and Insanity)

Replies

• jlmarohl
    jlmarohl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always start to get knee pain when I do heavy impact exercises on my joints like insanity and running... I went to a specialty shop and got some new arch supports. They worked wonders!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have superfeet in my shoes the green ones maybe its because I am doing it on the carpet
  • aymeelaurain
    aymeelaurain Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had knee, ankle, and shoulder injuries and gluccosamine did not prove to be of any benefit to me. However, I know many people who it did work for. It will most likely depend on what's causing your pain. Once thing I ended up trying after years of shoulder pain was analgesic gel for horses. It sounds weird but not even prescription meds were working for me. I was willing to try anything and not only did it work but it was cheap. You just have to find out what works right for you trough trial and error.
  • jlmarohl
    jlmarohl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was reading on some reviews of Insanity. Some people were saying that they were getting knee pain and that when they didn't wear shoes during the workout it got better. Something to try I guess. I would personally feel like I didn't have enough support because I have fallen arches. I hope you find something that works!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I used to take an envelope of knox gelatine a day. Put one packet of the gelatine in about 1/3 cup of cold water in a coffee cup, allow this to sit while you bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil. Pour boiling water over the soaking gelatine, stir well and drink. I saw a marked improvement in my bad knee about the 4th day in drinking this.

I will add, the gelatine is much more cost effective than the glucosamine, and it works much faster. You will pay anywhere from 2.99-1.25 for a box of 4 packets depending on where you shop, or at wal-mart a box of 32 packets is a little over 6 bucks.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It didn't work for me. Back when I took it the doctor said that the research was inconclusive and that if it hadn't worked in a month I was right to stop. It apparently works for some people.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to take an envelope of knox gelatine a day. Put one packet of the gelatine in about 1/3 cup of cold water in a coffee cup, allow this to sit while you bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil. Pour boiling water over the soaking gelatine, stir well and drink. I saw a marked improvement in my bad knee about the 4th day in drinking this.

I will add, the gelatine is much more cost effective than the glucosamine, and it works much faster. You will pay anywhere from 2.99-1.25 for a box of 4 packets depending on where you shop, or at wal-mart a box of 32 packets is a little over 6 bucks.

I will have to try this. I remember my mom using this when I was a kid.
    I have to wear shoes too because I have bad arches and planters fasciitis
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    ive never used it but i did take colostrum while in high school for my knees while i was biking. i swear by the stuff now. *shrugs* its just what worked for me though.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Brazil Butt lift can cause serious injuries. That guy doesn't even execute the moves properly. I was really excited about doing that workout routine because I'm a dancer and I love that kind of stuff but after watching the video and trying it I realized it was an injury waiting to happen. Be careful.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've heard many mixed reviews on this topic, but I've used it on and off over the years and it definitely works for me. It does take weeks to "kick in." Mine is a mixture of glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin, and I also take fish oil w it. Expensive, but worth not feeling all achy everyday.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine helps to rebuild cartilage. Depending on what the issue is this can help or harm your knees.

For osteoarthritis, glucosamine is good. It helps to rebuild what is breaking down.

For rheumatoid arthritis, glucosamine is bad. In increasing cartilage,it increases the pain of inflammation in the joint. Rheumatoid arthritis suffers need to take things that decrease inflammation (like Omega-3s).
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We give it to my dog for the arthritis in her hips, and it's like a miracle pill
  • RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    I take em every morning, scared of arthritis, been a popper since i was like 3 and my mom has rheumatoid. It helps my joints, but I don't have injuries in them, that could make the difference.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I take a glucosamine (3500mg) and chondroitin(2400mg) tablet and have been on it for a year and a half now. I have arthritis in my knees and I think it helps. I also started doing body weight squats about the same time I started taking the tablets so it may be the squats and not the tablets that have helped my knees but I'm going to continue both for now.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I will have to try this. I remember my mom using this when I was a kid.
    I have to wear shoes too because I have bad arches and planters fasciitis

Me too! Have you done any exercises for this? There are two things that have worked fairly well for me, 1) roll a tennis ball under the foot for a few minutes in all ways you can. or 2) fill a glass bottle with warm water, (but not too warm!) and gently roll under the arch. The warmth really loosens things up and relaxes the foot. I like to try stretching my feet after this. I only use a glass bottle because plastic is not sturdy enough. I have been trying to come up with a comparable replacement for the glass bottle.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have been taking glucosamine for years. Its effects are subtle--it's not a silver bullet that will heal you. It improves my flexibility and reduces joint stiffness, and when I run out or stop taking it for whatever reason, the difference is noticeable. But if your knees are really aching, there may be some structural damage that glucosamine won't address. It might make your condition a little better so you can then hurt yourself even worse. Talk to your doctor.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I started taking glucosamine and omega 3 about a year ago because my Dr said I could try it for my squeeky knees. Whether it's helped or not, I don't know. I stopped playing tennis after the summer (which made my knees worse) and have felt much better since; so it could be a combination of the two. My Dr did say that research results aren't consistent when it comes to how helpful glucosamine is. I guess it's a matter of trying and seeing if it works for you.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    They need to rate workouts for age. LOL

I am just not convinced that every move is very every person, unlike Jillian. Her weighted lunges in 3DS killed my recovering knees and the lower back lifts for abs killed my lower back. I'm in pretty decent shape, and I think you have to know what works for you and what is doing more harm than good.

I took Triflex Sport a couple years ago an had marked, fast and fast results. I'm taking it now (same bottle) and have not seem those kinds of results. I may need a new bottle. I couldn't get a pan out of the cabinet without groaning and feeling pain to stand back up...then in three days, it was like...I have no pain! It's not supposed to work that fast, but it surprised me it was so fast. I sort of want to get my knees checked at this point.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lots of good replies here but I just wanted to add, glucosamine is best absorbed in combination with chondroitin; MSM may also help but I can't remember the relationship right now. G+C tablets help me but it didn't improve until I took it for several weeks. Ask a doctor or do some research for the best combo. if you decide to try it, good luck :smile:
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I take osteo biflex triple strength with d3 and fish oil every morning ......my doctor recommended.......and so did my vet for my dog!