I GIVE UP!! I CANT DO IT!

Options
I've done so well. I've lost 16 pounds in a little over 2 months, and I've lost 6 pounds while doing MFP for the past month. But in the past 2 days, I'm pretty sure I've ruined it all. I've eaten SO MUCH. I feel so guilty all of the time now. I couldn't even make time to work out today. I can't take the amount of pressure I put on myself. I feel like a fat hippo who can never amount to anything because I end up failing anyways. I'm ready to give up. I'm just so done with constantly putting myself down..and I know I shouldn't feel the amount of shame I feel when I eat something I know I shouldn't, and that just makes me eat more. Please help...

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go read the link I posted in your other thread. You only have 8lbs to go, why on earth would you give up now?

Read the thread, run your numbers, follow all the steps. Eat well, exercise, rest, watch the 8lbs (or more importantly, the fat) come off.

I lost my last 10lbs, another full pants size, and quite a few inches while eating 1800+ calories a day, working out 5-6 days a week for an hour or less a day. Slow and steady, but totally worth it, and sustainable with the right calorie goal.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The first thing: It's just a thought. I spent days sitting on a pillow at a Buddhist retreat, sitting doing nothing, which was damn near impossible for me and the lesson I learned after all that time was, "It's jut a thought. Let it go."

The second thing: For ten minutes. Five. One at a time.

And then do it again. It's just a thought. I can do anything for one minute. I can be my own best friend or my own worst enemy. I choose the thought.
  • nicholegerber
    Options
    I get into the same situations sometimes..I read something the other day that said " One bad meal isn't going to make you fat, just like one good meal is not going to make you skinny" It's a work in progress. Not every day will be a success. But each meal or snack is a new opportunity to do better. It's hard to get over that feeling that you've ruined the day with a couple bad choices, but you just have to push through the bad days. I think of it like pushing the reset button. Good luck.:wink:
  • jackilync
    jackilync Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You CAN do this. I know that sometimes we are our own worst enemy and we are almost always our own worst critic. Just remember that a couple of bad days CANNOT define you! If you feel really bad, eat 100 calories under your goal for a week to make up some of what you messed up. Obviously it won't completely erase the bad days, but it might make you feel better! Good luck! :)
  • mommadid
    mommadid Posts: 9
    Options
    Great post, thanks.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think you have to allow yourself a break. Trying to always make it work is so hard. Allow yourself a day of insanity if needed just like when you work out you get extra calories to your allowed balance. Look at it like that. have a reserved "i went crazy day" and know that you can start over the next day.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's a process, but two days are not going to kill you. Pick yourself back up and get back in the game. This is a lifestyle change, and it's going to take a lot of work. As you work at it, you'll get better at balancing your food and your exercise and all of it. Don't give up. If you want it, get it.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

> Your mind gives up before your legs do!
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Breathe. You got this. Every single person on this site has felt the way you feel right now at some point or another. Hell, I just felt like this myself last Sunday after my friend's birthday. I ate so much crap and drank so much alcohol the day before and I felt horrible. But I reminded myself of how far I've come since I started, and one day didn't ruin all of it.

Counting calories and holding yourself accountable is hard and it requires a type of discipline that I didn't even have until I forced myself to. If you need a break, take one. Take it easy this weekend. Just log what you ate and move on. Then on Monday start all over. Don't beat yourself up if you eat something unhealthy or go over your calorie goal sometimes. Just move on and remind yourself of how far you'e come.

If I can do it (and I'm the laziest person alive) you can do it! Best of luck to you :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I see no point... in giving up on yourself. A couple of days over a lifetime, means little. Get it under control, take hold of what is yours, your body, and own it.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ok, give up, nobody can stop you, if you're going to choose to fail then fine.

The other option is to realise that you're not going to live the rest of your life never indulging yourself and accept that 'cheat/bad/whatever you want to call them' days will happen, as long as the rest of your diet is ok you'll be fine.

But yeah, whatever, give up instead, it's easier.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    You've not failed, you just didn't meet your goals those days. You can pull it back by just carrying on from where you left off.

anyway, from what your diary says you've only had one bad day. The day before that was still at a calorie deficit.

DON'T GIVE UP!
  • kavsta
    kavsta Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure the damage is not as bad as you think.
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it really difficult myself lately. I'm away from home since the end of September 2012 and will be for another 2 1/2 months. I've been sick with the flu and been feeling extremely homesick...so I've been emotional eating I guess. I also haven't been sleeping properly at night as well as feeling extremely lethargic in the afternoons, so my exercise has lessened.

Even on my 'bad days' (every day this week it seems) I've been recording everything. I keep getting annoyed with myself every day and it seems that recording my food is just making me feel bad. I thought that by starting again and trying to record stuff I'd eat better because I don't want to put bad food on my diary, but it's not happening....today might be a better day!

It's hard to do but if I don't keep trying, I'm not going to get any better at it, am I?
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Get over it. Seriously! 8lbs to go and your"quitting".. Try having 30 left and only lose about 4 a month! Then u have a reason to complain!
  • noodlemommy40
    noodlemommy40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The first thing: It's just a thought. I spent days sitting on a pillow at a Buddhist retreat, sitting doing nothing, which was damn near impossible for me and the lesson I learned after all that time was, "It's jut a thought. Let it go."

And then do it again. It's just a thought. I can do anything for one minute. I can be my own best friend or my own worst enemy. I choose the thought.

Just wanted to let you know how inspirational I found this. I'm printing it out to paste on my refrigerator. Thank you!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Listen broncosbabe, what would Peyton Manning do? Not give up the fight because you were never out of the fight to begin with!

Usually when I overdo it I go back to the weekly pie chart in the app, and 9/10 I'm still well within my parameters!

Maybe Google mental toughness and see if you can find some skills to help you push through.

Don't be so hard on yourself :-)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Thank you, wonderful read this morning!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok, give up, nobody can stop you, if you're going to choose to fail then fine.

The other option is to realise that you're not going to live the rest of your life never indulging yourself and accept that 'cheat/bad/whatever you want to call them' days will happen, as long as the rest of your diet is ok you'll be fine.

But yeah, whatever, give up instead, it's easier.

This!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey don't give up! I have been eating loads of crap all week. I just cant seem to get enough food this week so I have been having a free for all on food. That and my TOM is coming to this is probably why, anyway, my plan is just to ride it out now for the rest of this weekend to get through the holiday and then get back on the horse Monday. This too shall pass.