Do you believe that everyone can get fit?

Options
I was a couch potato all my life. Even as a kid I rather hid in the corner reading a book than doing exercise.

For two years now I am trying to get fitter. Started running, going to the gym regularly and hired a personal trainer. But while I feel I made progress the first couple of months I can't see any improvements over the last year even though I am pushing hard. If I push too much I just end up getting sick - tonsillitis and the likes.

Do you believe everyone can get really fit with the proper training? Or are some bodies are just not made for being sporty?

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    our bodies aren't made to sit around all day. our bodies are made to be up and moving. yes everyone can get fit if they push hard enough.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yes anyone can do it!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Only a sith deals in absolutes
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a 65 year old grandmother and I am making myself fitter than I ever was before. I'll never be an athlete but I am making a difference!!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I believe anyone who truly wants it...can become healthier and reach just about any goal.

That being said, there are quite a few who SAY they want to lose weight, be healthy...but they don't want to put in the time,money and effort to do so. They want it, but don't want to do anything for the reward.
  • absurdic
    absurdic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that everybody can choose what they like to be. The thing is, not everbody wants to be fit. They may say that they do, but in the end of the day, they rather stay in bed for 20 more minutes rather than going for a jog, order those fries instead of the apple slices etc.

If you truly want to be fit, you can.
    Also, there's no point in hiding behind sayings like "I'm big boned" or "I'm fat because its in my genes". Some people in bikinicontests have the whole genetic set for being overweight. They've chosen not to be that.

No excuses.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, anyone can. Two years, no progress....I suggest you look to the diet. Exercise is only a part of the equation. We do that to improve our cardiovascular system and add muscle. The sporty part comes largely from what we put into our mouths. Waiting two years to revise your plans to meet your goals is a bit long, but we all go at our own pace.

You cannot out train a bad diet.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of fit, for example I could never be as fit as an Olympic athlete - I simply don't have the time (or dedication) to do all the training. However everyone can get fitter and improve their quality of life.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone can get fitter.

No matter what life you have right now, it's up to you to make it and the lives of those around you better.
  • MarieAngelacfu
    MarieAngelacfu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone can do it but it s not only work hard and harder... It s about finding the ay it works for you,because every person is different and think thats where you should work hard! :-)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't believe everybody can be sporty or an athlete. I do believe everybody can be fit. My husband loves sports but will freely admit he was never good at them. He was always a bit overweight but he lost about 70 lb's by taking up running and is running the Paris Marathon next week. That's a pretty amazing achievement for a person.

I don't think I'll ever be a runner. I'm quite large chested and have sinus issues that make the breathing part really hard for me but my aim is I'd like to get fit enough to be able to do the coast to coast walk in the UK. I'll never be an athlete but I will be fitter and as a result much healthier.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get fit enough to be able to do the coast to coast walk in the UK. I'll never be an athlete but I will be fitter and as a result much healthier.

I want to do the coast to coast walk (UK) too. I've always fancied walking the coast of Wales and am toying with doing this when I retire :smile:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Everyone can get fitter but I think everyone starts from different base points, which are determined by how we spent our whole lives before getting fit. Someone who was not active throughout childhood is going to have a lower base level of fitness, vo2 max, muscle mass, coordination, etc than someone who was involved in several sports for years.

For the OP, I would suggest getting a proper health check done if you can to ensure you are not deficient in anything; if you get this done pay special attention to anything on the low range of normal, you can be in the normal range of a vitamin or mineral and still be within a few points of deficient.

Also try resetting your training. What I mean is if you haven't made progress in the last X months then go back to a point where things were still easy enough and build up from there again. So for instance if you are running 5 miles and trying to increase it to 6 but keep getting sick, go back to 3 miles or 2 miles if you can complete that distance easily, and build up again slowly. Do these shorter distances more often, while still paying attention to how you recover. Increase the distance or decrease the time taken when the distance/time becomes easier and recover from it quickly. Same with weights if you're lifting. Unfortunately or bodies cannot progress linearly forever, so resets are necessary from time to time.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone can train and improve dramatically to be very fit. It takes a lot of dedication and effort over a long period of time.

That said, not everyone has the genetic gifts to be a world class athlete.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes. Keep in mind there is a difference between exercising and training. Exercising is just going out and doing the same routine however often you do it- if you run a mile at the same pace 3x per week and lift the same weights 3x per week your body will get fit enough to accomplish those tasks and that's about it. Training is always pushing yourself to a better performance- going for faster or stronger on every single time. Continued improvement means always pushing yourself further than you think you can.
  • MakingChangesToday
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the replies!

I guess I am back to resetting mode at the moment by sticking to 5 short runs in the morning and 2-3 weight sessions per week without adding the long runs at the moment. I had the medical check-ups and iron is a re-occurring issue despite green veggies, red meat and a supplement.

Btw, when I talked about progress I referred to progress in my exercise performance. I lost a fair amount of weight by eating healthier.

However still dreaming about doing a half marathon one day... (the longest I could run so far was 12 km )
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Btw, when I talked about progress I referred to progress in my exercise performance. I lost a fair amount of weight by eating healthier.

It is pretty difficult to make physical gains if you have been eating at a deficit.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Love this quote - but I have no idea who said it..

"whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are 100% right"
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    "whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are 100% right"

Unless you think you can fly, which you may not be wrong about for long once you try.