Total Humiliation :(

Options

Replies

• Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful lady!!

First off- this happens to LOTS of people. It's so easy to gain weight! Don't berate yourself, because the fact that you gained just means you were investing in other parts of your life and weren't focused on vanity and how you look, and that's not a bad thing really.
    Now it's not a big deal, just remind yourself, "oops I let my health slip a little bit, now time to prioritize again!"
    When you're cooking a ten course meal it's easy to let one pot boil over while you pay attention to something else, right? It's ok that you gained, it happens to millions of people. What will set you apart is that losing weight only happens to a percentage of those people who gain it, because it takes guts, hard work, lots of faith, and lots of heart.
    The best and most well-rounded people I know have gained weight and lost it again, and the journey alone made them a better person.
    You are too good to let there be a delay between your decision and your actions. You are too great to allow yourself to be subjected to that kind of humiliation again! Protect your pride girl!!!! Stand up for yourself and shut up anyone who would be a negetive voice making you feel like less of a person for weighing a few pounds more than you did before.
    What is important to know, is that the person who is most likely to tear us down is ourselves. You won't hear anyone else's voice as much as you hear yours, you won't hear the truly honest opinion of anyone but yourself, and there is no one in your life with more influence over you than you!!!
    Do exactly what makes you happy, and give yourself nothing less than what you deserve, an exterior that matches the interior! Nothing is worse than reaching the bottom and thinking "this is it, this is the lowest I've ever been" than staying down there and wallowing in it! It's our natural reaction to get the hell out of that terrible place, and fast!
    You can do this!
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i was asked to be a part of my step-dad's funeral and had to buy a new jacket to do it...and then i had to go to 3 stores to find on that was large enough to fit me...i still have the jacket and put it on every once in a while to remind me

i was on vacation in Belize and had to FIND a plus size bathing suit (forgot to pack mine)- now if i was thin, picking up one in Gift shop - no problem - i actually had to waste a day of my vacation finding a size sixteen suit to squeeze into......
  • louismetal
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys. As unpleasent as that day was, I guess it was a blessing to end end this cycle of denial I was in.
    I know what I gotta do now, I got this,

Wish me luck!

:)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    glad youre here:flowerforyou:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm Maid of Honor at my best friends wedding in May. She's super organised and has had everything booked and paid for over a year in advance. This includes bridesmaids dresses. I had tried on a (UK) size 14 in the spring last year and it fitted perfectly. Now a year on we did the fittngs and I've put on so much weight, when I tried to squeeze it on, I burst all the seams and had to be helped out of it by the bride :'(. I couldn't get on the next size up and have had to buy a replacement two sizes bigger and even thats tight. Urgh, I was so humiliated, I could have, and almost did, cry. Its given me a well needed wake-up call, I just feel so ashamed.

When is the Wedding, whats the plan?
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement guys. As unpleasent as that day was, I guess it was a blessing to end end this cycle of denial I was in.
    I know what I gotta do now, I got this,

Wish me luck!

:)

Good Luck! You have loads of support here and plenty of living proof that it can be done. Please keep us posted of your progress.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You know sometimes, we need something to give us wake up call so we can finally say - enough is enough

Fat is temporary condition, it's not you!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I know this feels bad, but it is a small moment in your life. You have had to buy a new dress. You will look beautiful in it, as all young women look beautiful. You all do, you know. Anyone over forty can see it. You are all beautiful.

You have been embarrassed, not totally humiliated. Lance Armstrong has been humiliated.

Enjoy the wedding, where you will look lovely.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    You go girl!! You will be great at the wedding and years from now, the hurt will be gone at at your new weight, you will thank the bride for this changing moment. When people comment, you will know deep down the event that changed your life and hopefully your friendship with the bride will deepen because of this connection.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I hear you. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I hope you can use this experience to get to where you want to be. Hugs.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As you can see, this happens to the best of us. When I was getting married, I ordered my wedding dress well in advance. Six months before the wedding, I went to try on the dress. I had gained 20lbs between ordering and first fitting - I couldn't even zip it up. Imagine not being able to zip your special-order wedding dress! I worked my butt off all spring and summer, and by my October wedding I could squeeze into it, but if you look at pictures from my wedding towards the end of the night, you can see the welts on my back from where the dress was rubbing me (it was still just a teensy bit too tight).

Just remember - this too shall pass. You'll lose the weight, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. You ordered the size up, you don't need to kill yourself to lose the weight by May. In the long run, I may have forced off those 20lbs, but I gained them back with interest after the wedding. I wish that rather than crash dieting to get it off, I had just had the dress let out and done it the slow and steady way - if I had, maybe I wouldn't be here on this site, trying to lose that same 20lbs again, plus the extra 10 that got added to it.
  • TanyatheBrave
    Options
    Use this as motivation! Bodies change, so if you're ready, you can change it right back. It's a great step to be on here and sharing. Motivation is key, including from MFP members who can cheer you on! Don't let this make you feel bad about yourself--use it to make yourself feel better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! You're a good person though, I would have been pissed at my friend too, for not realizing that a lot can happen in one year!
  • violetcharms
    violetcharms Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate.

I once even bought myself shorts two sizes smaller as I was convinced i would be working harder to lose what I needed to. It's been 6 months and all ive done is regressed.

But let this be motivation for us, and let's set our lifestyles right together =)

xx
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate. I havent bought my dress yet but I am about to. My best friend is getting married next March and has asked me to be her Matron of Honor, which is the main reason I am here. A few months ago we went to try on dresses and I had a total reality check.. ugh. Sometimes all we need is a swift kick in the *kitten* to get us going ;) You can do this. ((Hugs))
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hugs xx you can lose 8 pounds in a month. Just stick to a plan!
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I could hug you through the computer right now. I feel your pain. I got so tired of having to buy the next size up every year because my clothes didn't fit. My "omg moment" was when I went to Biltmore with my boyfriend for Christmas. We had a nice dinner planned while we were there. I had taken a dress that I was sure would fit just fine. When I put it on to go to dinner, it was so tight I didn't want to leave the hotel for dinner. I was mortified to order any food or just be seen in public. That was the breaking point. Now that I'm 50 pounds lighter, that dress falls off me. It's awesome. You are going to be so skinny that the dress you were too big for is going to fall off you. JUST WAIT!!!!
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I've been there too. Bridemaid dresses are the worst, and with the way my weight has fluctuated during my 20s, there have been several times (since I've been a bridesmaid five times so far) that I've bought a dress really early and then had to get it taken out at the last second due to gaining weight. It's humiliating and just awful all around.

The important thing though is that you use this experience as a jumping off point - you've got at least a month before the wedding, so this is a perfect opportunity to start the journey of turning it around. You've got this! =)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just want to echo what others have said. I knew I needed to lose weight for a long, long time but my OMG moment came when I was flying to mexico this year. I could only barely get the seatbelt fastened, I NEVER want to be the person who has to ask for an extension to the seatbelt so I've turned that negative into something positive and hey presto now I'm nearly 30 lb's down.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Nake that be your moment of change. I feel for you girl, you can't change the pass but you surely can change the future :)

I so agree!! I really like this!