Side Effect of Vegetarianism?

Options

Replies

• mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would be aware of being deficient in a veggie diet is B12 (without supplementation). Deficiency in B12 does cause neural issues. I'm not sure it's directly related to nightmares though.

I actually considered whether vitamin B deficiencies could have been the cause as I know that they are essential for cognitive functioning. If I go back to full-on vegetarianism, I'll definitely be strict about taking B supplements.

Also, thank you for the thoughtful response.
  • mushroomcup
    Options
    I'm vegan and I get nightmares often, its stress related. Never thought of blaming vegan/vegetarianism before, for it :laugh:

Yeah, I had them for 3 years and never even considered that they could be due to my diet. I always assumed that they were caused by something psychological.

But the thing is, these weren't just normal nightmares. They were extremely vivid and violent and like no other nightmares I've experienced before. Also, they didn't seem to change based on my stress levels. They could very well have been caused by something unrelated to diet, and this definitely could be mere correlation, but I think it's odd that I had them for 3 years until I added fish to my diet. Now, it's been 5 months and I've only had one.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    It's a coincidence. I was a vegetarian for 18 years and now eat meat once or twice a week. I sleep like a log and always have. Good luck finding a resolution!
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    been a vegetarian all my life and sleep like a rock... try meditation it might help
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think you ate too many Mushrooms! :wink:
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Side Effect of Vegetarianism = being less responsible for the death of thousands of animals.

:flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    lack of healthy fat in the diet can make existing psychiatric problems worse and I've seen one study that links insufficient healthy fat to an increased risk of suicide (not read the actual journal article though, just seen it referenced in something else)

Healthy fat certainly has a role in the brain, and lack of it can affect how your brain functions, so that *may* be an explanation as to why introducing fish into your diet caused the nightmares to stop... *if* they were caused by a deficiency in healthy fats... fish is a very good source of healthy fat. Note: this is just a suggestion, no idea if it was that or not, but it's theoretically possible. The brain is a highly complex organ and if it's not functioning at its best due to a dietary deficiency, then nightmares *may* be one way that manifests itself. this kind of thing would vary from individual to individual, and sometimes things that would not have any noticeable affect on one person's brain might trigger something another person is more susceptible to (nightmares in your case)

Also, even if the above is true, the vegetarian diet itself is not to blame. There are plenty of vegetarian sources of healthy fat such as cold pressed vegetable and seed oils, and nuts, and flax seed is supposed to be really good. The vegetarian diet isn't automatically healthier than a meat eating diet. Either a vegetarian or non-vegetarian diet could be deficient in some nutrients if you don't pay enough attention to them.

And if you were sure you were getting adequate fat and other nutrients in your diet then just ignore my suggestion. There are other likely causes, including pure co-incidence.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Side Effect of Vegetarianism = being less responsible for the death of thousands of animals.

:flowerforyou:

:heart: :heart:
  • veganstein
    veganstein Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 30+ years,have not had nightmares that weren't tied to life events. YMMV
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    What you experienced is commonly known as Animasympathetelepathy. When you avoid eating animals, they become your friend and bond to you when you enter the dream realm during R.E.M. sleep. The visions they give you are representative of what the animals feel when they are being slaughtered for food.

In short, it's completely normal.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The major deficiency that is common among vegetarians is B12. It affects the nervous system, and can cause mood and personality changes, among other things. Even ovo-lacto vegetarians have more problems with it. Non-vegetarians can have it too, and sometimes it's caused by other health problems. You can be tested for it, and should, if you have symptoms. Of course, it's important to make sure that you have good sources of B12 in your diet, but some people can't absorb the B12 that they ingest.
  • x58890
    x58890 Posts: 14
    Options
    With the vitamin B12 issue--don't most people, not raised vegetarian as children, have a surplus of B12 in their bodies that could last decades before a deficiency emerges?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    With the vitamin B12 issue--don't most people, not raised vegetarian as children, have a surplus of B12 in their bodies that could last decades before a deficiency emerges?

Some studies where they actually tested people showed that B12 deficiency is a lot more common than they used to think. Since the consequences are serious, and the test is easy, I would err on the side of checking.
  • mushroomcup
    Options
    It's a coincidence. I was a vegetarian for 18 years and now eat meat once or twice a week. I sleep like a log and always have. Good luck finding a resolution!

I probably should have entitled my post, "Side effect of my vegetarian diet?" I recognize that there are long-term vegetarians that don't have issues with this. I really only included that I was a vegetarian because I thought that would be more to the point; people might have heard of a deficiency that is common in vegetarians and connected with disordered dreaming.

Also, I was a vegetarian for 5 years before the dreams started. So again, this might be a total coincidence.
  • BethamiLawson
    BethamiLawson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 27 years (vegan for 7 of those years, lacto-ovo for the rest). I've never had an issue with nightmares.

If you have a history of trauma it could be playing a role in the nightmares. I hope you figure out what's going on. Take care. :flowerforyou:
  • mushroomcup
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 27 years (vegan for 7 of those years, lacto-ovo for the rest). I've never had an issue with nightmares.

If you have a history of trauma it could be playing a role in the nightmares. I hope you figure out what's going on. Take care. :flowerforyou:

I have no history of trauma. Came from a loving family. Never been abused. Never been the victim of a crime. Never witnessed a crime.

I just hope - even if I can't figure out why they went away - that they stay away. And thank you for your sweet response. :) I don't mean to make vegetarians feel attacked by my post.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite, actually. Since I stopped eating meat, I die a lot less frequently in my dreams. I used to have nightmare nearly every night, but the lack of meat (and the addition of a melatonin supplement for my Asperger's) has helped me sleep more soundly. I have not heard of any similar thing from any of my other vegetarian/vegan friends.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian in 1980, never bothered with meat since (just substitutes such as soya protein etc.). I very rarely recall dreams but certainly don't have problems with them in any way.
  • kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for several years and I don't remember ever having any negative side effects that seemed like they could be attributed to the vegetarianism.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    perhaps you're eating the wrong kind of mushrooms