Infrequent weighers, come in please

Options
2»

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Weighing in often made me a little crazy. So my next weigh in is July 1st.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tried weighing regularly, got bored - and the bathroom is too cold in the morning to be faffing around in minimal clothing in any case.

Just got on the scales today after ages of not eating right or exercising, to see it's basically unchanged (I expected up).

They can stay in the bathroom. Maybe I'll use them again when it gets a bit warmer.
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some articles say it's a bad thing to keep looking at the scale and some say it's a good thing. I weighed myself daily but was also on a Jenny Craig plan, so I was always happy to hop on the scale. I found that I can keep my weight on track if I keep that ritual up.
    These days I keep buying smaller clothes and trying them on each week until they fit. I could care less what the scale says if I am obviously fitting in smaller sizes...comfortably. Keep in mind that you need to keep hydrated and have a low sodium intake. Disturbing that balance will make your body bloated often as well as drinking alcohol the night before. Don't discourage yourself. What counts is the reading at the end of the week and making sure that it doesn't go back up. If it does, then go backtrack on your week and make changes.
  • zaqqity
    zaqqity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Please be really careful with weighing if you feel you're beginning to get obsessive. I know some people can weigh daily and still be healthy about it, but not everyone. I had to completely stop weighing and get off MFP for a while because I felt myself getting more and more obsessed with numbers, both those on the scale and those on the plate. It got to the point that I was pretty depressed whenever the scale went up or my calories were in the red. After a break from all that I'm trying again with the intention of using the numbers as a rough guide, but listening to my body.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I only weigh at the gym...and that is because i only use the gym a few times a month...I refuse to let the scale control me..it had a firm grip on me when I was rather disordered in my youth...will not do that to myself again.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    scale ain't good and precise AT ALL!

Doesn't count your bone structures,water retention,poop (yes you can have up to 5 lbs inside), and mostly MUSCLES!

Use a measuring tape and the mirror....This will tell you so much more of your progress.

I weight myself maybe once a month or twice max..... I measure myself every weeks.

Seriously..... Don't go crazy with the scale..it won't help you.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I started being able to ignore my scale when my weight was plateauing. It was making me upset, and I just did not want to feel that, so I didn't weigh myself at all for about 2 weeks. Just got on 2 days ago, and I lost something! My scales are now hidden XD
  • x58890
    x58890 Posts: 14
    Options
    The thing that helped me was to create an account with hackers diet online. It lets you input your daily weight, but creates a graph of your "weighted moving average". The WMA smooths out the fluctuations (both positive and negative) so I can get a clear idea of exactly how my weight is trending.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    ...Disturbing that balance will make your body bloated often as well as drinking alcohol the night before. Don't discourage yourself...

Oh, bugger. I'm doing it all wrong, then.

I've lost weight and just cunningly concealed it. :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself when I can see a difference in my aesthetics.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself when I can see a difference in my aesthetics.
    Yeah what kevjumba said
  • unknownsample
    Options
    I weigh daily and always celebrate when I hit a new low. There are obvious hills and valleys-- in one weird incident, the scale said I gained four pounds after two cheat days!* I must have been retaining a lot of fluid. Seeing the chart of past readings and the fits/starts is very reassuring when I am plateauing. This has worked well for me-- I am losing about a pound a week and the end is in sight!

*Yes, two cheat days in a row. Probably not my best decision ever...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. I weigh every Thursday.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I dealt with my scale addiction by getting rid of it. I now only weigh in every 6 months at my doctors office. In between appointments, I go by how my clothes fit and measurements, though I found myself getting a little addicted to measuring too so I am doing that only once a month.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WW suggests weighing in no more often than weekly, so give that a try. I weigh daily, though I know it may not alway be accurate. If I'm up, it just makes me focus more on eating the right foods and amounts that day. If I'm down, I'm even more committed to eating right cause i feel it's working. Good luck!

^^ This. I also weigh daily and it used to upset me if I would have a gain, but now I realize this is not fat gain, but just water. It also keeps me accountable. I know that if I have a bad, unhealthy day, it will show up on the scale. But I don't get upset about it anymore. I also only log my losses, not my gains.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel slimmer, my clothes are fitting better, my endurance is going up, etc. But the scale isn't cooperating, so I'm going to *try* to stay off it until April 15th.
  • mytime2change
    Options
    In the past I weighed every week (sometimes a few times a week). This time I'm only going to weigh in once a month and focus more on how my body feels rather than what some numbers tell me. One thing I've done is taken the scale out of the bathroom. If it's in there it's way to easy to hop on in the morning, after a shower, etc.

Another thing is say you lose a pound a week, if you weigh in once a month you will see a four pound loss. Even though it's still the same amount you are losing, seeing a bigger number might motivate you more.
  • annmarie279
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly by doing it daily you are opening the possibilities of becoming addicted which isn't good. Also especially if you are female around the time of the.month you weigh heavier because of water retention and stuff so you wouldn't get a true reading about this time.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month. It would do my head in any more than that.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Everyone, I've been reading threads on here regarding not weighing frequently, and I re-read this thread...and I've become even stronger in my choice to not weigh daily or weekly. I'm not even going to weigh on the 15th. I'll weigh on May 1st, or maybe even in two months. I will stay on my plan, continue exercising...maybe even start Couch to 5k that I've been putting off doing because it can cause the scale to go up temporarily. I won't be seeing the scale, so who cares? lol

Thanks so much for your replies. They've really helped me.