Deodorant Issues

Options
2»

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ok I am gonna get flamed for this one. You are being sold a bill of goods by the makers of BO products. If you shower every day you don't need to use deodorant! Yup you read that right. It is not needed, but we are so conditioned by advertising that we no longer question it.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize that antiperspirant made most people not sweat.
    I recently went to the doctor and the whole sweaty thing came up, and she gave me a prescription for the super strong stuff, and it's been amazing! Holy cow, I don't sweat! I don't have to change my shirt three times a day, I'm not sticky and uncomfortable, man, it was amazing. I really wish I had known about this magical product YEARS before.

There were a few things that doc mentioned with the rx one. First, only use it as often as you have to. Seems I can do every other night without problem, could probably even go down to every three nights. It is kind of itchy, but if I wear a tshirt the nights I put it on, it doesn't bother me as much. And I wait until I'm very close to sleep, because otherwise I really notice it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't smell and I'm just paranoid that I do?
    i would ask your family to let you know...sometimes it isnt really as bad as we think it is..
    One of our favorite family activities is Smell Daddy's Pits.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It could be your diet. Think about what someone who dank a lot of beer smells like? What about garlic?

Here is a list I food by using Google.
    http://livelighter.org/top-15-foods-that-make-you-smell-bad/

All the more reason to clean up what you eat.
  • limico91
    limico91 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ok I am gonna get flamed for this one. You are being sold a bill of goods by the makers of BO products. If you shower every day you don't need to use deodorant! Yup you read that right. It is not needed, but we are so conditioned by advertising that we no longer question it.

I agree with what you have said. Although I still use deodorant, I use mitchum which i find amazing at stopping the flow of sweat :P
    The BO comes from bacteria, so if you haven't washed for a while and then sweat you will smell. If you shower daily then the bacteria is not there for the sweat to mix with and create BO. Besides I always think I stink but I think its just us being paranoid.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sweating during a workout and I don't think that you should worry about stinking at that point. But I sweat a lot during the normal workday when I need to make a presentation to my superiors or if I'm having an uncomfortable discussion with a subordinate so I've tried a lot of different things. What works for me is Certain Dri - one of the clinical strength ones. I only apply it after showering, so sometimes it's in the AM and sometimes in the PM. It doesn't stop me from sweating totally, but it cuts down on it a lot. Crystal Stick didn't work as well for me.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Try Clinical Strength from Dove. I use to have issues too. But, they work so well!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've had to switch up too. Not sure if it's hormonal changes as I've lost weight or just the fact that I'm sweating more since I exercise more? I also noticed one of my workout shirts has pit stains and that's NEVER happened to me before!

Anyway, the two brands I really like are Dry Idea Advanced Dry (gel) and Lady Speed Stick Invisible Dry (solid).
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I shower twice a day and use an anti-bacterial body wash. If I don't apply deodorant I will start to stink within a couple of hours.
  • gwk2124
    Options
    I found the absolutely best women's deodorant/antiperspirant. It keeps you dry too (not just smelling fresh). It is called Bonedri and it is a bit pricey ($15), but a bottle lasts about 3 times longer than Secret or Arrid. I have used it in the morning, gone out for drinks after work, slept over at a friend's house and still smelled great the next morning!!!I swear by this stuff! Here it is :)http://www.klimadeodorant.com/bonedri-clinical-strength-antiperspirant-deodorant.html
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah I mean, ask someone first lol Not sure why you haven't done that yet. Might not even be an issue.

I'm not sure if it really affects BO so much, but maybe it's a diet thing as well.
  • 123fitnessgirl
    Options
    I had this problem and tried everyyyyyyyy deodorant.. seriously... Then I discovered "Nivea Stress Protect" ROLL ON VERSION! Try it! it's only about $5. the non roll on one doesn't work for me so make sure you try the liquid roll on one that comes in a glass bottle.
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    This sounds odd but I promise it works for me. I have a ziplock baggie of straight baking soda in my tub. After I wash and rinse my body I get some baking soda in my hand and add a little bit of water and rub it on my pits, let it sit for a sec, and rinse it off. I read somewhere that it leaves a little barrier on your skin and I use deodorant and honestly have found a tremendous improvement. I sweat like crazy and am always worried about funky smells and pit stains, and this really helps. Hope you find something that works for you.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well,if you are talking about sweating during working out, that is normal and deoderant won't prevent all sweating. Your body is made to sweat.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Deodorant in a pinch....if you're some place and can't take a shower before heading out to work or have some fun somewhere, you can use hand sanitizer in the places you'd use deodorant. It kills the bacteria that causes the odor, so can give you a bit of a reprieve.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I actually get Botox treatments every 6 months - insurance pays for it and it helps tremendously!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I recently started using the Secret 48 hour deodorant. It doesn't last 48 hours, but it works really well and lasts a lot longer than the deodorant I was using previously.
  • olgasgarden
    olgasgarden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    try to cut down on salt. i have tired a salt free diet and i dont smell any more. i did this diet a few years ago (for 2 weeks i was 100% salt free) and i did not smell for 6 months. there was no need for deodorant. i sweated but it had no taste (face sweat) or smell (under arms). we are what we eat. examine you diet. are you eating a lot of garlic, onions, spices or salt?