Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm intrigued.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This was a very interesting documentary, and was scary in many ways. I have 2 daughters. 1 is 10 and has been overweight since 1st grade. She has a very large belly while the rest of her body is a normal size. My other daughter is 7 and can eat constantly without gaining any weight. Just bought her a communion dress and she had to get a 6x so that it wasn't too big on her. My thinner daughter eat much more than my overweight daughter. They are equally active.

Watching this video makes me worry about my overweight daughter because I'm sure all her fat cells have already multiplied. Weight for her will probably always be an issue. No one informs you of this as a parent of a newborn...

No, while a lot of people intuitively know that some people just don't gain while other do, it's not something that's commonly accepted throughout society, the media and the medical community in America. We keep getting the tired, EAT LESS, MOVE MORE spiel, which has merit, to be sure, but is a gross simplification of all the variables.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I liked the experiment with the children. Where some would stop eating when they were full and others just kept eating, even after saying they weren't hungry. They didn't want to do the fun activities, they just wanted to keep eating instead.

It's been several months since I've watched this video, but it is super interesting.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This was a very interesting documentary, and was scary in many ways. I have 2 daughters. 1 is 10 and has been overweight since 1st grade. She has a very large belly while the rest of her body is a normal size. My other daughter is 7 and can eat constantly without gaining any weight. Just bought her a communion dress and she had to get a 6x so that it wasn't too big on her. My thinner daughter eat much more than my overweight daughter. They are equally active.

Watching this video makes me worry about my overweight daughter because I'm sure all her fat cells have already multiplied. Weight for her will probably always be an issue. No one informs you of this as a parent of a newborn...

Just out of curiosity, were both daughters delivered in the same manner? There is a school of thought out there that the microbe colonies we have as humans begins with vaginal delivery, and is disrupted through cesarean birth.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Both vaginal deliveries, although my oldest daughter I had to have pitocin because my water broke and she still wasn't coming after 19 hours of labor.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    oh my god, this perfectly explains why people plateau....(myself included)
    im quite naturally slim but not SUPER slim....Im trying to get super slim as opposed to just slim but my body doesn't want to....!
    this explains EVERYTHING!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Save for later.
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I remember to watch later.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I liked the experiment with the children. Where some would stop eating when they were full and others just kept eating, even after saying they weren't hungry. They didn't want to do the fun activities, they just wanted to keep eating instead.

It's been several months since I've watched this video, but it is super interesting.

Yes, I found that part interesting. I've always been the first type, yet eventually became very obese. My boyfriend always comments that he likes going out for a meal with me because he gets to eat a meal and a half - I never seem to finish a whole meal when we're out! My son is the other way with foods he really likes - he could start eating something and not stop until he'd finished the packet. He is slim with low body fat. It's interesting that those differences show so young. In my experience, obviously it doesn't correlate to weight gain the way you'd think, but some of that might be age related. (I wasn't overweight until around 40).
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The video was VERY interesting; thanks for the share!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.

If you're gaining the weight back, you are getting off track. That simple.

Stop looking for excuses.

It's not excuses, it's reasons. Sorry to pick on your post as an example, but I see these kinds of comments so often, and not just on MFP! Whenever there's something that sheds light on weight gain, it gets dismissed as "excuses". But don't you think there's some value in finding out the reasons why people become fat? Surely that's useful?

The point is, that thin people aren't necessarily thin because they keep "on track". They stay that weight without trying. I can vouch for that, having done it myself for years. It's not true that slim people count calories and fat people don't. "Calories in, calories out" doesn't help to explain why some people naturally eat too many calories whereas some people naturally eat just the right amount. If we can understand that, it might help.

And sorry again, this isn't meant to a rant at you - it's just something that I see all the time, and it's frustrating.

Well said.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting op, will watch later. I think I might have seen this documentary before or one like it, judging by comments above about the skinny people in the video finding it hard to overeat.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check this out while I'm not at work.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'll try to watch this during lunch...
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The point is, that thin people aren't necessarily thin because they keep "on track". They stay that weight without trying. I can vouch for that, having done it myself for years. It's not true that slim people count calories and fat people don't. "Calories in, calories out" doesn't help to explain why some people naturally eat too many calories whereas some people naturally eat just the right amount. If we can understand that, it might help.

Yes and no. Everyone has a different level of calories they need, to get the goals they want.

And sure, some people don't have to try at all. It stinks that Nancy can eat 2500 calories and not gain a pound, while I maintain only at around 2000. Life isn't fair. But we only have the body we have, so, what other people do is totally irrelevant.

Either you want it enough to work with what your body and mind actually does, or you don't.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Yes and no. Everyone has a different level of calories they need, to get the goals they want.

And sure, some people don't have to try at all. It stinks that Nancy can eat 2500 calories and not gain a pound, while I maintain only at around 2000. Life isn't fair. But we only have the body we have, so, what other people do is totally irrelevant.

Either you want it enough to work with what your body and mind actually does, or you don't.

True, but I don't think that was really what the programme was showing. The naturally slim people weren't slim because they had a higher TDEE (as far as I know - and it is a while since I watched it. I must watch it again), but because they "naturally" maintained their weight quite precisely without having to think about it. In fact, they found it difficult to overeat and gain weight when they tried to.

Now that I'm more aware of calorie counting I find it really interesting that my weight stayed exactly the same (within a few pounds, apart from pregnancy) for so many years, despite changes in diet, activity level, job, drinking habits, etc. I've always been short, so I don't suppose I ever had a huge TDEE! So those naturally slim people aren't "other people" to me. They're very much like I was a few years ago.

Before I started losing weight, I experimented with eating "naturally", like those slim people, and found that the exactly the same thing happened - I maintained my weight within a very few pounds without trying. The problem was that the weight was much to high! But I found it interesting that even while very obese, if I didn't control my eating, I didn't gain or lose weight at all. I'm curious to know what it is that so dramatically can alter our "set point". Is it just age, hormones, or ...? (As I mentioned, lifestyle change didn't make any difference in the past).

Watching this documentary and others, it seems that fat people may be altered in some way (either through the process of becoming fat, or for some other reason - it's not clear), and that those changes might not disappear just through losing the weight.

What I do know is that is the differences in my weight were not caused by differences in my level of willpower :smile:
  • cardiophile
    Options
    Wow! I was overweight for most of my childhood and this really explained a lot. Thank goodness for spring break (had the time to watch this).

Kind of in limbo whether this is an encouraging or discoraging documentary though!