Can cats become lactose intolerant?

Options

Replies

• jjeddy
    jjeddy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cats cannot tolerate cows milk after they are a couple of months old. Causes nasty intestional issues. Over time, can make them seriouly ill.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that cats aren't allowed to drink milk, that it's bad for them. But I've used milk to help keep the cats hydrated when they are having trouble keeping their food down.

Does anyone have any backing on this either way?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do- Don't give her cow's milk. COW's MILK IS ONLY FOR BABY COWS.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If people were not giving cow milk to cats, would you see a cat drinking it? No.
    They drink mama's milk for a few months and move on to kill their food.
    just cause they LIKE it doesn't mean they should have it.
    I like deep fried oreos and twinkies. Pretty sure I should not have those.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Small animal veterinarian here chiming in, cats shouldn't have milk of any kind, as they can't tolerate milk from other species, and past weaning, shouldn't have a need for milk or milk replacers, or dairy for that matter. Simply stated, They don't NEED milk. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they must eat meat to get all the vital amino acids to survive. Denying your cat, could lead to taurine deficiency, heart disease, and death. Back to dairy, giving your cat cows milk, soy, or any other kind can set them up for vomiting, diarrhea, and possible food allergies in the future. Take my advice, and just don't do it. :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    All cats are lactose intolerant. Humans are the only mammals that digest lactose and only about 30% of the human population has acquired the mutation allowing us to do so.
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    If people were not giving cow milk to cats, would you see a cat drinking it? No.
    They drink mama's milk for a few months and move on to kill their food.
    just cause they LIKE it doesn't mean they should have it.
    I like deep fried oreos and twinkies. Pretty sure I should not have those.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Small animal veterinarian here chiming in, cats shouldn't have milk of any kind, as they can't tolerate milk from other species, and past weaning, shouldn't have a need for milk or milk replacers, or dairy for that matter. Simply stated, They don't NEED milk. Take my advice, and just don't do it. :)

I agree with this.

This is why my cat Nadia is vegan.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My cat it totally lactose intolerant. You don't what to know what happens if someone gives him regular milk.

I tried getting him to swallow those lactaid pills, but that resulted in a lot of scratches to my arms. We've settled on soy milk instead.

be careful! if you switch your cat to an all vegetarian diet, he'll end up walking around the house judging you.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind soy milk can increase estrogen levels, and so it might cause cancer in your cat. I'd stick with almond or rice milk.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I let my cat drink my left over almond milk all the time - his coat has become more glossy since I've started doing that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My cat it totally lactose intolerant. You don't what to know what happens if someone gives him regular milk.

I tried getting him to swallow those lactaid pills, but that resulted in a lot of scratches to my arms. We've settled on soy milk instead.

be careful! if you switch your cat to an all vegetarian diet, he'll end up walking around the house judging you.

I'm pretty sure that's true of paleo cats too. (So, avoid the full fat milk...)
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    2h83kfp.jpg
  • PototaeLuvvr
    Options
    I beleive they can.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    cats don't need to drink milk and certainly not milk from cows.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i don't know if almond milk or soy milk is a good idea for my cat.

what about adding lactase pills to cow's milk? will my cat get bloated? will he fart a lot?
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure he judges me already.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    There's only one solution to this...................

v3povs.jpg
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone who says not to let cats drink cow milk. Mine accidentally drank some one morning, and promptly vomited.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My cat vomits if she drinks milk, every time! But does fine on HWC, she's following the keto way :lol: