1g of protein per 1 lb of body weight?

Options
I'm trying to lose my last 10 pounds and I'm trying to up my protein intake. I've read to eat 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. I'm 120 pounds so that seems like a lot of protein to me. The closest I've been able to get to 120g of protein is a little over 90g. I've found it really difficult to even get to 90g and have had to use protein powder and homemade protein bars to help me. Problem is that I get full so quickly consuming that much protein and then am not hungry later. I also am not a huge meat eater so I try to get as much protein as I can from other foods.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get to 120g of protein in a day?

Replies

• itsmle1
    itsmle1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Unless you're doing some serious body building, 1gm per 1lb is a LOT. I actually think the correct calculation is 1gm per 1kg.

Hope that helps!
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think its actually 1g of protein for 1 lb of lean mass.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When doing strength/resistance training, the general rule of thumb is 1g per each pound of LBM (lean body mass).

So if you know (or can estimate using one of the many calculators on the internet) your bodyfat percentage, you can easily figure out your lean body mass.

If you're not doing strength/resistance training, 1g per kg may be enough, or may not, depending on how active you are.

Even if you're not exceptionally active, unless you have kidney issues 1g per lb of bodyweight isn't too much, and the additional protein has more satiety than carbohydrate, thus keeping you full longer and ultimately many people eat fewer calories.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals but if you lift. (which you should in my opinion) then you need more protein but even if you dont 1 gram per 1 lb of lean body mass isnt to much so why not do it anyway
  • itsmle1
    itsmle1 Posts: 3
    Options
    The RDA for women is 0.8gm per kg.
    That obviously doesn't account for weight lifting or strength training.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing some serious body building, 1gm per 1lb is a LOT. I actually think the correct calculation is 1gm per 1kg.

Hope that helps!
  • rtrcarrie
    rtrcarrie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! This is VERY helpful. I'm on my last 20#'s and it's harder and harder to loose. I'm gonna try this approach.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    The RDA for women is 0.8gm per kg.
    That obviously doesn't account for weight lifting or strength training.
    That's at minimum, and very low. The CDC mentions a figure of 10-35% of calories, and studies suggest more protein than RDA = improved weight loss:

Check out this review : "Protein Quantity and Quality at Levels above the RDA Improves Adult Weight Loss"
    http://www.jacn.org/content/23/suppl_6/631S.full.pdf
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great source of protein IMO. I mix plain greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder=win.

Nuts, beans, and dairy.
  • PixieChick24
    PixieChick24 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I switch off and do cardio one day and strength training the next. I don't lift super heavy weights though due to back problems I have but am currently in the process of strengthening my back. I use 30-35 lbs for exercises using a machine. For my arms I use 5-8 lb free weights. So I do strength training 3-4 days a week. Should I only increase my protein on strength days?
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Yup...
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's NOT per kg.
    One of the replies above was correct.
    It's roughly 1 gram per LEAN BODY WEIGHT.
    If you weigh 100 lbs and you have a BMI of 25%, that means you are 75% lean.
    And in this case you would have 75 pounds of lean body mass.
    Which would mean you should have roughly 75 grams of protein a day.
    If you are sedentary, it should be closer to .7 grams.
    IF you are active, it should be closer to 1.1 grams per pound of lean body mass.
    To help you with the protein, did you know egg whites are 100% protein?
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I switch off and do cardio one day and strength training the next. I don't lift super heavy weights though due to back problems I have but am currently in the process of strengthening my back. I use 30-35 lbs for exercises using a machine. For my arms I use 5-8 lb free weights. So I do strength training 3-4 days a week. Should I only increase my protein on strength days?
    The process of muscle tissue repair takes several days. If you're doing regular strength training 3x a week you should try for a consistent amount of protein daily (and a decent sleep) to ensure that repair process functions properly.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    .6-1g per LBM
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • PixieChick24
    PixieChick24 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all were a big help! :happy:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose my last 10 pounds and I'm trying to up my protein intake. I've read to eat 1g of protein for every pound of body weight. I'm 120 pounds so that seems like a lot of protein to me. The closest I've been able to get to 120g of protein is a little over 90g. I've found it really difficult to even get to 90g and have had to use protein powder and homemade protein bars to help me. Problem is that I get full so quickly consuming that much protein and then am not hungry later. I also am not a huge meat eater so I try to get as much protein as I can from other foods.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get to 120g of protein in a day?

Yes, look at my diary. I eat over 100 grams of protein just about every day.
  • jdjeob
    jdjeob Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been reading that excess protein is stored as fat. I think that may be why the Atkins diet never worked for MY body. Any comments on excess protein being stored as fat?
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have 160g of protein each day and strength train 3 times a week cardio 2 times! Is the above post correct? Excess stored as fat?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Yeah, this.