Does the 30 Day Squat Challenge Work?

Options

Replies

• literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think you should do this challenge. There are so many things wrong with it. First of all being that working your leg muscles hard everyday doesn't give them any time to recover. And second, doing dozens upon dozens of squats daily will stress your hip flexors and make you prone to injury.

If you want to build strength in your legs and tighten your bottom, you should look into do squats every other day or every 2 days. Start with body weight only and add dumbell weights as you get stronger. Do 10 or 15 squats, rest for a minute and do another 10 or 15, do that for a total of 8 times. Rest a day or two and then Repeat. Once the 8 sets are easy, add weight. and start over with 8 to 10 reps for 8 sets. ....it gets easy again, add more weight. That way you are building strenght and doing it in a safe manner.

squats and lunges are ok for weak knees but only if you don't over do it by doing too much too soon.

I have bad knees and I squat with 32lbs. I do 5sets with 8 reps in each set. Next week I plan to bump that up 36lbs.

Someone talking sense. :flowerforyou:
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    <= here is my before and after of March. the before is a week in, and I think I skipped 4 days of it? This month, I am adding dumbells, then, in June starting on real weights.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think you should do this challenge. There are so many things wrong with it. First of all being that working your leg muscles hard everyday doesn't give them any time to recover. And second, doing dozens upon dozens of squats daily will stress your hip flexors and make you prone to injury.

If you want to build strength in your legs and tighten your bottom, you should look into do squats every other day or every 2 days. Start with body weight only and add dumbell weights as you get stronger. Do 10 or 15 squats, rest for a minute and do another 10 or 15, do that for a total of 8 times. Rest a day or two and then Repeat. Once the 8 sets are easy, add weight. and start over with 8 to 10 reps for 8 sets. ....it gets easy again, add more weight. That way you are building strenght and doing it in a safe manner.

squats and lunges are ok for weak knees but only if you don't over do it by doing too much too soon.

I have bad knees and I squat with 32lbs. I do 5sets with 8 reps in each set. Next week I plan to bump that up 36lbs.

Someone talking sense. :flowerforyou:

Lots of sense here. I would suggest making sure your form is right before adding weight, for sure. Make sure your knees aren't going out past your toes and that you are going below parallel (once you get strong enough). I'm backside-heavy, sometimes when I squat I can't get back up. I also lack balance, so practicing the higher reps with no weight is essential for me if I haven't been doing them lately.

Practice makes perfect and every bit helps, just don't forget to rest.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Interested....
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's not about better or worse...it's about doing.

BRAVO!

Peeps, please keep it safe, but if you can safely do 300 squats, do 300 squats. Everytime I do a squat I am lifting a heavy weight ... so there's that.
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It seems so crazy to me and I haven't seen any success stories on it. I wish I knew if it "worked" also. I would love to see some before and after leg and butt pictures! :) I was thinking about starting that challenge also. I just saw it today!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started it yesterday because I am not financially able to go to a gym right now and my lunch times are my training times outside for an upcoming 5k so I can't make it to the free gym at a church near where I work. I have squatted heavy (for me) with a barbell for quite a while and I do prefer it.

The challenge I'm doing was up on tumblr. I did 25 regular squats yesterday and 25 sumo squats. Today it jumps to 100!There are rest days and it ends at 300. It is called "squatageddon 2013" from the Iron Angel. Let me tell ya, I am soooooreeee today! Trying to figure out how I'm gonna power through 100 today.

I get the whole" why do 31465431354 body weight, when you can go 3 sets of 15 of heavy weight with the BB, but sometimes, folks just can't make it to a bb. I predict that my *kitten* will still lift:-)
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've seen different variations of the squat challenge, some are much more intense than others. I already have a well endowed bottom, however, with weight gain it was starting to look like it needed a serious boost. I started doing three variations of squats daily some days with weight and some without.

The first week I went without weights because form is so important with squats. Combined with my regular cardio I definately see that old girl is perking back up with three week and a half weeks of daily squats. Like all weigh baring excercise it can change the shape but we still have to work on the fat surrounding it, if thats your goal. If your goal is to just a build a booty drop it like a squat! And throw some deadlifts in there too!
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My second day I could barely move let alone sit on the toilet properly. Wow it's hard but I'm sticking to it
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    This is why I use heavy weight. BUT Im no expert. Can anyone tell me why this challenge would be better than using heavy weights?
    It wouldn't. Any more than walking several miles (which is lots of reps) will do for your legs. If that's the only option someone has then it's better than sitting on a couch. I find my form is way better and my knees prefer it with at least 150+ extra pounds on my back. If you can add any weight at all it's more useful than just body weight... even if you grab some of those 40 lb bags of water softener salt at the grocery store for like $5 each.
  • stants85
    stants85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im on day 17 and loving it! Im doing other exercise as well so im toning up definetly! Its not as hard as it seems and only takes up about 5 mins of the day. I do mine in sets! No more then 5 sets so keep increasing the squats per sets as there are more to do! Give it a go :-)
  • gabbii86
    gabbii86 Posts: 1
    Options
    Its doesn't take much time to get it done-- Stay Positive and I do mine in sets of 10--Excited to see results :happy:
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I started the April Squat challenge, currently on day 3. I will def let you guys know if I see a difference by day 30. I'm doing an April abs challenge with it.
  • carlaeliza
    Options
    I am on day three as well, began April 1. I feel it thats for sure!
  • ginp376
    ginp376 Posts: 2
    Options
    Going to start the challenge today hope it works! i don't want a smaller butt just toner!
  • ps664872
    ps664872 Posts: 1
    Options
    On day 9. Just did 100 squats! I can feel things getting firmer, but I took before pics so I can see the results afterward. I will post again Day 30
  • kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Guess I may as well join! I just happened to do 30 squats today, just because. Tomorrow, I will step it up with some weights. I also did W1D1 of 30DS and ten quick mins of jogging/fast pace walking on my treadmill.
    Hope to see some results! I'll keep yall posted. :happy:
  • BouncyPrincess
    BouncyPrincess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Think I'm gonna get in on the action too, by butt defo needs a boost :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!