HELP! Gained 6lbs in less than 12 hours.

Options

Replies

• chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Agreed! It is water weight, especially if you're rounding up to that womanly time of the month. I just got over mine and 2 days before it started I went from 228 to 234 overnight. Now I am back to 228. Just keep up your routine and drink extra water and you will be fine, it might take a week or 10 days, but you will be.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My weight changes 2 pounds in either direction.. it is mostly water weight.. don't worry about it.. it will auto correct in a day or two..
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what is going on with my body. Sunday was my "free day" so that I could enjoy our Easter meal and not have to track everything. Sunday morning at 7am I weighed 223.5 pounds. We ate Easter meal at 1pm and this was my first meal of the day. I had ham, green bean casserole, potato casserole, corn, a wheat roll, and cranberry salad. It sounds like a lot but this all fit on to 1 regular size plate. I did not go back for seconds and I was so full that I could only manage a few bites of dessert. When I got home from the meal, I weighed myself thinking I probably gained a pound or two. I was 229 pounds! That means from 7am to 3pm I gained almost 6 pounds from ONE MEAL. How could this happen??? There is no way I ate 6 pounds of food. Could I be retaining that much water?

And before anyone asks, there isn't anything wrong with my scale. It is accurate.

If anyone knows how this could happen, please let me know! Thank you.

First of all, stop weighing yourself so often. It's bad. Just bad bad bad.

You need to pick a day to weigh in, weigh in ONCE a week ONLY. You need to weigh in in the morning after using the bathroom, completely naked, before eating anything or drinking anything. This is your most accurate weight and it will be the closest to your actual weight every. single. time.

You couldn't have gained 6 pounds from one meal. One pound is 3500 calories, and you did not consume that many calories on that plate. You are carrying extra water weight from all of the sodium you took in. Did you poop after your big meal before weighing in? Pardon the gross questions, but you need to consider all of this.
  • runnerforever234
    Options
    Unless you ate 21000 calories at dinner, I think you're fine :wink: You probably just seen the weight of the food you just ate + plus some water retention from the sodium. It will be gone once you get back to your regular diet!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you do not understand natural body weight fluctuations and they bother you, you should not weigh daily...certainly not multiple times per day. I do weigh daily, but I understand science and stuff...and I'm a geek for anything involving multiple data points and graphs....

Give this a read:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29567-normal-body-weight-fluctuation/
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the OP deactivated.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the OP deactivated.

Huh. Odd..
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    ham=sodium. same thing happens with me. drink tons of water the next few days.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My guess its due to a salty meal and water retention...
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    And before anyone asks, there isn't anything wrong with my scale. It is accurate.

Obviously not.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just to update, I weighed this morning and I was at 224.4 so quite a bit of the Easter weight went away like you all said it would. I am still a pound heavier than I was Easter morning. I missed my goal for this week which was 222.5 but still down 2 pounds from last week.

Thanks to all for the responses.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    you can't gain 6lbs in a day.

You are likely retaining water. All the foods that were served are very high in sodium, so that is probably causing a lot of your issue. Try to make sure you drink a lot of water today and keep calm, your weight can fluctuate by 5-8lbs in a day. You should try weighing yourself once a week, same day, same time. Use that as your guide to see how you are doing.

This! You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself every day, morning and night. Weight fluctuates.
  • scrapbookdiva2
    Options
    just fluid - drink lots of water and cut back on salt and processed foods for a bit and try adding some fibre to "clean things out" lol
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much. Its food and water fluctuations.

This
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    also another one to keep in mind salt makes you retain more water than normal so if you had a fair bit of salt it could just be that that's made you keep that lb, eat clean for a few days and you'll see it go back to normal
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    just fluid - drink lots of water and cut back on salt and processed foods for a bit and try adding some fibre to "clean things out" lol
    ^^ This.

I also gained 6 lbs in a day once - for me I had a bad cold (being sick doesn't help anyone), drinking tons of fluids and had a very high sodium intake and wasn't exercising because of illness.

It was, of course, all gone about 36 hours later.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Just to update, I weighed this morning and I was at 224.4 so quite a bit of the Easter weight went away like you all said it would. I am still a pound heavier than I was Easter morning. I missed my goal for this week which was 222.5 but still down 2 pounds from last week.

Thanks to all for the responses.
    Don't freak out next time, step back and think realistically. :flowerforyou:
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    your best bet is to do what I did throw the scale in the trash can. focus on how your clothes feel and start measuring.
  • 12ouncemouse
    Options
    Your weight shifts throughout the day. That's why you have to be as consistent as possible when you weigh yourself. If you insist on doing it everyday, try doing it at the same time everyday like right after you wake up, finish your workout, or when you get out the shower.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Um yeah...do not weigh yourself at the end of the day. Your weight can fluctuate by 5 lbs (and more) just from water alone.

The best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom without clothes and this should be done consistently.