Job interview today :o(

Options
Don't get me wrong...I'm glad I have an interview...but I suck at job interviews...I've had three so far and they didn't hire me. Any advice? I get extremely nervous and tend to ramble...I think that is what blows the whole deal.:frown: Help!:sad:

Replies

• Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good LUCK!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It really helps to prepare. Talking to people who hire folks, they say it makes a big difference when people have bothered to learn something about their organization and have something specific to say about it, especially how they might fit in--or be able to help it. Go armed with a couple of points you want to make abohut yourself so that you are not at the random mercy of whatever the interviewer decides to ask, and figure out ways to work your points into the conversation. That will give you a sense of control. Prepare in advance your answers to some of the "chestnut" questions they ask, like what's your biggest failing, what do you see yourself doing in 10 (or whatever) years and the always-difficult "tell me about yourself." Preparing what you'll say also helps calm your own nerves.

An important one: Bring in questions you have about the job and the company, and what they're looking for. This does a couple of things: shows your preparation and interest in them, and gives you a chance to stop talking, take a breath and collect yourself while they do some talking for awhile. Show yourself to be an active listener, responding to their responses and asking questions that arise from those responses. This also will make it feel more like a conversation, and besides, everyone likes to talk.

Be aware that not getting the job is, these days, not a rejection of you. There are so many applicants for every job. But that also means you want to work to set yourself apart..."I know you must have many applicants for a job this rewarding, but a couple of things I'd like you to know about me...."

I recommend against the coffee. Accept it if the interviewer offers, but in some cases bringing in coffee would be seen as inappropriate.

Looking for a job is the hardest job! But if you just be yourself and work toward making it a conversation as much as possible, you'll do really well.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is hard to comment without knowing your line of work, but try to get into a process oriented discussion.

Talk shop.

Nick Corcodilios, a former headhunter who runs a web site about job hunting, sums it up quite well:

"Is the job interview The Moment of Truth? Nah. The Land of Bunk is more like it. Never have more stupid questions been answered with the same repetitive drivel as in the job interview. You can sit down and easily list ten questions everyone is asked in an interview."

Be sure to engage them as much as possible about the work that is to be done. Offer value.

Most importantly, if it is a good fit, ASK FOR THE JOB!! :)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It is hard to comment without knowing your line of work, but try to get into a process oriented discussion.

Accounting....and thanks everyone for the advice so far...every bit helps!!
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Angie! What kind of job are you interviewing for?
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    1. Prepare yourself for the interview be ready for the questions
    2. Do something that relaxes you before the interview
    3. Picture them naked unless they are super hot or weird looking (you don't want to burst out laughing)
    4. Reward yourself after with something

Good Luck!!!
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work in HR, and I have a ton of useful tips I can e-mail to you. Message me if you would like more info!
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Smile and be genuine. If you sound like a robot and answer every question the way you think everyone else is answering they won't remember you. :]

Answer questions with -short- examples of ways you were honest or dealt with a problem or whatever else they're asking you.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Advice:

1.) Know the job you are applying for. If you are aware of the tasks that are expected of you, you will be better prepared to answer questions. Also some knowledge of the company itself is always helpful.
    2.) If you are asked if you know how to do something that you don't know how to do, be honest but also let them know that you are eager to learn and adept at learning new tasks.
    3.) Bring your own pen...always make sure you have a pen
    4.) Firm handshakes are best
    5.) Be polite, sincere, and interested in joining their "team" or whatever the place is.
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It really helps to prepare. Talking to people who hire folks, they say it makes a big difference when people have bothered to learn something about their organization and have something specific to say about it, especially how they might fit in--or be able to help it. Go armed with a couple of points you want to make abohut yourself so that you are not at the random mercy of whatever the interviewer decides to ask, and figure out ways to work your points into the conversation. That will give you a sense of control. Prepare in advance your answers to some of the "chestnut" questions they ask, like what's your biggest failing, what do you see yourself doing in 10 (or whatever) years and the always-difficult "tell me about yourself." Preparing what you'll say also helps calm your own nerves.

An important one: Bring in questions you have about the job and the company, and what they're looking for. This does a couple of things: shows your preparation and interest in them, and gives you a chance to stop talking, take a breath and collect yourself while they do some talking for awhile. Show yourself to be an active listener, responding to their responses and asking questions that arise from those responses. This also will make it feel more like a conversation, and besides, everyone likes to talk.

Be aware that not getting the job is, these days, not a rejection of you. There are so many applicants for every job. But that also means you want to work to set yourself apart..."I know you must have many applicants for a job this rewarding, but a couple of things I'd like you to know about me...."

I recommend against the coffee. Accept it if the interviewer offers, but in some cases bringing in coffee would be seen as inappropriate.

Looking for a job is the hardest job! But if you just be yourself and work toward making it a conversation as much as possible,

you'll do really well.

Perfect advise, wish i read this about two weeks ago...

Good Luck angbieb :D
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've done hundreds of interviews. Here's some simple, basic tips:
    listen carefully to the interviewer and interact with them (it's a dance);
    be honest and always positive;
    give specific accomplishments and quantified impacts whenever you can instead of listing vague attributes;
    towards the end of the interview summarize exactly how your experience and achievements meet the job requirements;
    ask intelligent prepared questions based on research;
    send a thank you note (email is OK) within one day of the interview reinforcing how you are qualified for the job and that you want it; and
    follow up in a friendly way if you don't hear from them after their decision timeframe to again demonstrate your interest.

Being nervous is normal and can give you productive energy so don't fight it. Smile easily, lean forward, and try to relax as much as you can. You'll be fine.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Focus on what you can bring to the job. Do not talk about anything personal, at all. People make this mistake all the time, and give away information that will create bias in the eyes of the interviewer. Even if you think it is no big deal that you mention that you like to play golf, maybe the interviewer's husband plays golf all the time and she hates that game.

The biggest interview mistakes I've seen working in HR:
    1. Do not talk about health challenges unless you are diagnosed disabled. They are looking at what their health insurance is going to cost and/or potential absenteeism.
    2. Do not talk about anything drug or alcohol related (unless it relevant to the job). If you are directly asked about this, and you have DUII or other things on your official record, do be honest, but never, ever volunteer this information.
    3. Stay on topic. Talk about your work experience and what you can bring to the company. When they ask you to talk about yourself, they want to know about what you have done professionally, not that you are a Gemini with 3 schnauzers.
    4. Practice your answers before you go to the interview. Out Loud. If you have someone else to practice with, this is even better. Monster.com has a great list of potential interview questions you can use a starting point. Know that your compitition for the job is using this tool. You should use it too.

Good luck! I hope you find the perfect job for you!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've hired many people in my day, the key is to be confident but relaxed. Also, the more you know about my company the more it tells me you are willing to put in the work to get the job. Make sure you ask questions of the interviewer, they want to know that you are serious about the job and that you think the job is right for you, as much as you are right for the job.

I also read this article before every single job interview I go on:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/02/17/25-questions-to-think-about-before-your-next-job-interview/

Finally, after the interview send a prompt thank you note, make sure to talk about something specifically that was discussed and seemed important to the interviewer.

Private message me if you have any more questions or want more tips.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Breathe
    prepare by learning about the company
    breath
    give clear, concise, confident answers
    breathe
    smile

If they ask you about your hobbies and such, think about what you like to do that makes you feel confident, impressive and awesome and talk about that to help you shine even more.

GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
    Let us know how it goes!
  • tspeicher
    Options
    Practice. Do as many interviews as you can. You get more comfortable with each one. You also interview best when you don't need the job.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've hired many people in my day, the key is to be confident but relaxed. Also, the more you know about my company the more it tells me you are willing to put in the work to get the job. Make sure you ask questions of the interviewer, they want to know that you are serious about the job and that you think the job is right for you, as much as you are right for the job.

I also read this article before every single job interview I go on:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/02/17/25-questions-to-think-about-before-your-next-job-interview/

Finally, after the interview send a prompt thank you note, make sure to talk about something specifically that was discussed and seemed important to the interviewer.

Private message me if you have any more questions or want more tips.

YES!! Absolutely send a personalized thank you note!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant too! One final exam away from my Masters! Yay me! I suck at interviewing. Big time! Like you I get nervous and tend to ramble or I say something really stupid trying to make a joke so I'll relax- doesn't work btw. My last interview (with the DOE) was a group interview (which I was not expecting and was not told it would be a group interview until about 5 minutes before when everyone started showing up!) so my nervousness increased by about a million. Things I've learned:

Take your time answering. Not so much time that they think you're looking for what they want to hear but enough time that you don't blurt out something silly or off topic.

Ask them to clarify anything you aren't sure about or don't completely understand before answering.

Look online for different types of interviews and be prepared (as much as possible) for different types of questions. Strengths/weakness of course, ways you deal with stress or problem clients on the job, how you handle confidential information, why you want the job, why you should get the job over someone else, etc.

Have examples of ways that you added value to your previous jobs or if you can't think of anything like that then have examples of things you did well, things people complimented you on or things you did that brought about a positive change- things the employers, fellow employees and customers liked/appreciated.

Take notes. Ask questions. Ask questions about the things you took notes about.

Do a little research about the firm. You don't have to go in depth but make sure you know what they do, what they're about, what their goals are. Make them aware that you're prepared to help them meet those goals and that you have the skills to do it, even if you lack the experience right now.

Look like you're interested, don't just sit there like a robot. Try to be personable without going over the line.

Even if you're nervous, try to look relaxed and confident, realize you have strengths and that if they weren't interested in what they've seen so far they wouldn't be taking the time to interview you.

Send a thank you note/email. I know some people say it doesn't matter but I think it helps set you apart from the other people they interview who might not have sent a note. Besides it doesn't hurt to remind them of you or exactly what you talked about. Keep it short though, it's a note, not a letter :) (as you can tell from my response and editing, I have a hard time with this part lol)

And I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, they drill it into us at the school I attend, but dress and act appropriately. Make sure your clothes fit properly and you won't be tugging or pulling them, make sure you're covered- you don't have to look like a nun but you don't want to look like you're hitting the clubs right after the interview. Besides, clothes that fit properly and you feel comfortable in will give you one less thing to worry about and help you feel more confident, you'll "look" the part. Keep nervous gestures to a minimum. Be polite, use your manners. I've been on both sides of the interviewing table and some of the things people say/do are crazy. I sometimes wonder if they act a certain way because they don't want the job but in that case just decline the interview.

Maybe if you approach it in a way that makes you feel like this is not a job you "have" to have you'll feel a little more relaxed. Or even try to apply for some other jobs to get more interviews so you'll have practice and won't feel so nervous.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd say mahanaibu pretty much nailed it.

Practice as much as you can so you know the answers cold.

Good luck!
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

In addition to the above:

Take in notes, I think this shows you're prepared and interested in the job. You can even take in notes about what you're going to say if they ask a specific question but try not to read directly from the paper.

If you are stuck for an answer, don't try to reply straight away, take a breath, it's fine to say 'hmm, let me think about that for a moment' - they'd rather you took time to answer properly than start talking without thinking.

When waiting to go in, focus on having your feet planted on the floor, take deep breaths and focus on being connected to the ground - this helps you from getting caught up in nerves and all the worries in your head - keep grounded.

After the interview, if you have the interviewers email address, drop them a note - just say thanks for meeting me today, I'm very interested in the role and feel I can bring a lot to it and hope to hera from you soon - or words to that effect. Again it shows enthusiasm and genuine interest.

Be great!!

(sorry see some of this has been added in other replies while I was writing!)
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Angie! What kind of job are you interviewing for?

Thanks H! Today is a job interview for selling insurance...but tomorrow I have a phone interview for an accounting position! I'm very excited! I don't want to get my hopes too high though...because I get really bummed when I don't get the job.