• LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Donate them and sell all the expensive clothes on eBay

This!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was terrified to ditch the clothes but I am so glad I did! No excuses ... no clothes to go back to! DITCH THEM!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Give them to charity so someone less fortunate can benefit from them.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Get rid of what doesn't fit. Charity, Goodwill and the Salvation Army can always find someone who can use it. You could also slip a card in some of the pockets with the URL for this site on it. Maybe it would help someone who gets your used clothes find a healthier path to the future. I don't want to sound ugly and certainly wouldn't want to cram anything down someone's throat, but you have found a happier life and feel better - perhaps this is a way you can share. As a friend of mine likes to say, "If you find someone without a smile, share yours!" Congratulations on your progress, keep driving on to your goals!

Lank
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Keep one or two of your biggest items and donate the rest. No looking back keep looking forward. This is what I am slowly doing. I do not want any excuses to go back to where I was.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I held onto mine for far too long. In fact, wearing the baggy, oversized clothes actually hurt me more than helped. Because I had clothes, I didn't buy clothes that fit, and my self-esteem suffered for it. I could only see myself as the size I started at until I let go of those larger clothes and purchased smaller ones. I didn't even realize the effect that smaller clothes could have on my weight loss outlook until I indulged. I kept one pair of jeans and one shirt that I used to love, but they are there to represent how far I've come, and they are packed away. I thought it would be daunting to get rid of clothes that I loved and relied on for so long, but it was freeing.

Besides, clothing donations are a tax credit!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Donate or sell any nice items... anything not worthy of donating --- throw away, burn or turn into cleaning rags

(I like burn -- it is a bit theraputic)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just remembered to post this shirt modification thread today...kind of a cool idea to get more mileage out of some of those tops you might still love....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/945347-cool-modification-to-those-too-big-shirts
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just cleaned out 10 bags of clothes from my closet last week and donated them to Goodwill. Felt great, then I went and bought 5 new workout shirts in a smaller sizes! :drinker:
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just another tidbit to toss in. At one point during WWII, several high ranking advisors told Gen Patton that he needed to withdraw in retreat before advancing enemy forces. He refused. In light of the cost in lives and materials to reach his current position, he declared that he refused to pay for the same ground twice! He ordered his forces to dig in and they successfully repelled the enemy attack. So throw away your "path of retreat" and get rid of the oversized clothes! :-)
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just another tidbit to toss in. At one point during WWII, several high ranking advisors told Gen Patton that he needed to withdraw in retreat before advancing enemy forces. He refused. In light of the cost in lives and materials to reach his current position, he declared that he refused to pay for the same ground twice! He ordered his forces to dig in and they successfully repelled the enemy attack. So throw away your "path of retreat" and get rid of the oversized clothes! :-)
    I really like this...Thank you for the new perspective :D
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I sent everything to salvation. Didn't keep anything to remember the good ol' big days. Weren't nice souvenirs... The hardest part was getting rid of medium clothes that were bought on the way there. I so much wanted to wear them and now, they don't fit well anymore....:(
    But let's buy new things , even in a thrift shop, to maintain motivation and improve self-esteem!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them...way to easy to feel your pants getting tighter and just slip on an old, larger pair. If you feel your pants getting tight, it's time to re-evaluate and take a look at what's going on in RE to your overall lifestyle. I personally have no intention of slipping back to where I was...it's not so much a matter of the way I look for me as it is my health and some really nasty implications if I didn't change a lot of things around about 6 months ago. My motivation is to stay alive...so going back is not an option...my kids are only 3 YO and 8 months, so I need to hang around for awhile. Looking good is just a nice bi-product of all of this.
  • brook97378
    brook97378 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am about ready to go a size down in pants, and I think I am going to only keep one pair of my current pants and donate the rest. The reason for my wanting to keep them is definitely not so I could ever wear them, lol, I never plan to put them on again. I want to keep them so that when I reach goal I can hold them up next to the pants that I wear at that time and see the side by side difference, a visual of the weight lost.
  • brook97378
    brook97378 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love this! :)
    Toss them but keep the biggest pair of pants so on a day where you think "I feel fat today" you can put them on and be reminded of how far you have came!!
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking either donate, or sell them on ebay and buy new! :flowerforyou:
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds (goal weight) and I had a hard time getting rid of my clothes. As a child and teenager I did not have very many clothes and therefore I believe that is why I had an attachment.

I finally had a girl friend who had lost weight and I had her come over and just handed her those clothes BUT I was told my MFP friend to keep those special clothes I had an attachment to and I did..

Well it worked!

Good luck!
  • shutupandmove257
    Options
    ditch and reward! :D
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you keep them then you are saying that this weight loss is only temporary. If you a lady and it is likely that you will have more kids - keep them. Otherwise give them to friends who deserve them and you can enjoy them wearing your lovely clothes. I would get rid of them. I have hit maintenance but refuse to buy anything above a 12. I was a size 18 two years ago and used to buy size 22 just to be comfortable. Nobody could believe me because my height and build allowed me to carry it off.
  • lncgurley
    lncgurley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep one size up and down..i love the idea of no fall back plan, but in reality it didn't work for me. This way I don't wake up and not have clothes, it gives me a wake up call and I have time to go back to the size I just left...this approach works for better for me and certain times of the month don't make run to the store for clothes, LOL!