weight and dress size - ladies

Options

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I think I am more like an hour glass shape and I am 5 foot 8 and 259 pounds and just recently got into a size 20. My goal is 165 which I think would be a size 12
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    5'4'', 122. US size 0-2, UK size 4-6. bottoms: small/extra small. top: small/medium (w00t boobs!) half way between and hourglass shape and top heavy.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    5'6" 147lbs size (US) 4-6 depending on brand.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm totally stunned by how different all these numbers are for different people! And it reminds me why I hate shopping for clothes. The size I wear depends on the brand I buy.

This. I find that the more high end the designer the less they do what's called vanity sizing (i.e. you mentioned Ralph Lauren specifically as needing a bigger size). In my post I put I was pant size 8, but in most stores/most of my jeans the tag actually reads 6 due to vanity sizing.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think you would be more like a 10 in dress size at that weight.

Me? I was in a 10 at 155 and an 8 at 150 about 10 yrs ago, but I wasn't working out nearly as hard as I am now. I also hadn't pushed out 2 kids so maybe true.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am currently 5'6'' and 160lbs (11st 6) . My bottoms are a UK size 14 and my top UK 12. My goal is to be back at 131 lbs (9st 5). At this weight i was a size 10-12 in tops and bottoms.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 121ibs , muscular built and run from size 0 - 4
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think you would be more like a 10 in dress size at that weight.

Heavier weight doesn't have to mean a bigger size. If the weight is due to muscle, dress size will be smaller. I've lost 5lbs since Christmas, but 2 dress sizes.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 187 I have a small waist and a very big butt so I have to go up 1 or 2 sizes in jeans and dresses in order for it to fit over my butt but then I have to worry about them falling off my waist (or looking like a stick in dresses)....
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm currently 70kg / 154lb / 11st.

Height 5'8.5 / 174cm.

I wear a UK 12 normally. Sometimes a 14, sometimes a 10, it depends on the shop.

My hips are 3ins larger than my chest, so I am very slightly pear shaped although a bit more gym should help that.

I'm 37-28-40 so theoretically larger than a 12, so there has definitely been 'size inflation' over the years... you can't trust labels!
  • cnf2013
    cnf2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped. 5'3-ish", about 131lbs right now and wearing a US 4 in pants, small in tops, and size 2-6 in dresses depending on the fit and designer.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    5 feet 6 inches tall
    Weight 134 pounds
    Wearing size 4 and small, can occasionally fit in a XS depending on the brand.

When I was a teenager, I wore a size 6 as the smallest and was thiner than I am now. I am a testimony to that fact the sizes have changed over the years. I read an article somewhere that clothing manufactors changed the sizes to make us feel better about ourselves. Unfortunately, they can't change the image that looks back at us in the mirror. LOL
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    5'11"
    150 lbs
    Size 6-8 (US)
    My measurements last month were 33-26-37
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    5'4", 181 lbs, hourglass. I wear a size 12-14 (US). I would like to get down to 160-165 and hopefully be a size 8/10.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 121 lbs. and I think I'm what you would consider hourglass (actually, probably more like rectangle). I wear a Cdn. size 2.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    5'10" 294lbs about a size 26 I'm in a weird in between phase right now
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Weight: 107 kg
    Dress size: 14/16 US
    Height: just under 5'9"
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    To the OP; Sizes are based on your measurements. Do you take your waist/hip/bust measurements, now? if not, take your measurements. In US sizes, every 2 inches lost is one dress size. I'm not sure how that breaks down to UK sizes, but if you can find the conversion betweein UK and US dress sizes, you can do your math from there. Even if you get down to your GW, if you're not in the Dress size you want, you can always start working on toning - building muscle will reshape your body, and change how you fit into clothes you already own, and by toning, you can lose up to another 4 Inches, I think. Keep in mind too, tho, that there is no longer a set number chart from one brand to another - one brand's size 4 may be another brand's size 2 or vise versa.

So my recommendation would be to take your measurements, and add them to how you track your success - they'll help you get a better idea of how far you need to go, to get to the size you want. :)

Hope this helps!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    5'7" hour glass
    @ 155 pounds = Dress US size 6, 8, or 10 depending on the brand & cut
    @ 122 pounds = Dress US size 0, 2, or 4 depending on the brand & cut
  • JCupelli
    JCupelli Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" & 136 lbs. My dress size is a 6. I wear a size 6 on top and size 8 on bottom. I think I'm closest to an hour glass figure.

Current body measurements:
    Chest: 34.5"
    waist: 29.5"
    Hips: 37"

:D I just measured my self yesterday for the first time since I started training. Super happy because I used to have a 33" waist.