This is BS - 70 days and this is it?

Options

Replies

• AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are having issues. I am no expert when it comes to losing weight, exercising, etc. but I have learned a few things over the years. 8 years ago I weighed 320 lbs. and I stand 5'-8". I got down to 212 and then put weight back on until I stepped on the scale last June at 264. Today I weigh 183 lbs and still losing (80 lbs. in 9 months). That being said, I recommend that you start out walking at least 30 minutes a day and work up to at least 60 minutes a day. At some point you will be feeling so much better that you may want to join a gym. When I started, walking one mile got me very winded and took 30 minutes Today I spend 8-10 hours a week working out. You can start with cardio but eventually you will want to have strength to cardio ration of at least 2:1 if not 3:1. You don't have to lift heavy weights and you won't bulk up.

Cut out most processed foods. That doesn't mean going organic (although I am eating more organic every week). Just eat clean... baked or grilled chicken, fish, and pork. No fried foods except on rare occasions and then sparingly. Beef should eaten sparingly..it is high in fats. For rough measurement of meat, a 3 oz. portion is roughly the size of a deck of cards. Always eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner but control portions. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Always have a small midday and mid-afternoon snack...fruit or celery or carrot stick are good. So are roasted, no salt almonds. No white potatoes,eat sweet potatoes. Oven baked/fried sweet potato fries are. Orowheat 100% whole grain wheat bread or Sara Lee 45 calorie bread is good for you. Use butter in sparingly. Use olive oil spray to if oil is needed. Cut your carbs and definitely eat all your protein. In looking at your dairy, your are short on your protein. One way to increase your protein is to drink a protein shake. I like EAS brand chocolate whey protein. Tastes good, has 26 grams of protein in one serving and only 150 calories and the protein is Isolate protein meaning is it is better than compound proteins. Cut your sodium intake. It can be discouraging, but if you work at it, the pounds will eventually come off.

I know this reply was long winded and I apologize,but I hope this helps somewhat. Be patient, continue to work at it as this is a life style change that eventually will have looking back and thinking WTF was I eating and doing in the past.

This is EXCELLENT advice. I am not that far from goal and eating clean and walking helped me lose a good 2 lbs this past week. It *should not^ make a difference what you eat, but I find that it does...it's like my body functions better with a higher grade fuel?? Good luck to you!!!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    In the long run it does matter what you eat even if you only eat 1200 calories per day. You have to stay full in order to stay motivated, so eating junk will not be very effective in the end of the day.
  • chrissi024
    chrissi024 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a TON of sugar in your diet. Why would your body want to work harder to burn fat when your giving it so much instant energy? It is probably why you feel so hungry as well. Your eating things that your body uses quickly and doesn't sustain you. At 1200 calories, every calorie needs to count to fuel your body. If you can exercise then thats a bonus.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I think you don't use your calories the way you should..... you have about 2 meals a day.... even though you are under your calorie goal, your body could be hungry because you aren't making the best choices....

try to eat more veggies (veggies are pretty filling a low in calories, so you can eat a lot)
    fruits!
    greek yogurt
    peanuts

you should be eating every 2 hours....
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    try to cut back a lot on sweets salt and carbs if you do breads try 100% whole wheat if you can tolerate. Eat fruits and carbs when most active to help burn it off. You may have IBS bc bloat is a factor with that but exercise helps and water water water. Eat breakfast and small meals consistently will help. You have to keep your metabolism going just like a fire if you dont fuel it it burns out. And last but not least trick your body it gets used to the same stuff and routine. A little exercise will suprisingly help most MDs say 30 minutes walk 3x a week. It works I have done it. Dont give up last yr I did but this yr I am doing good. Stay encouraged and keep at it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    cut out grain and sugar.watch those numbers fall

Yes---I lost weight just from cutting out wheat and sugar but then my weight loss stalled because I wasn't exercising. Once I straightened out my under-eating and added exercise, I started losing again. The exercise in the pool, made me feel GREAT and the weight-lifting made my body change shape!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think you don't use your calories the way you should..... you have about 2 meals a day.... even though you are under your calorie goal, your body could be hungry because you aren't making the best choices....

try to eat more veggies (veggies are pretty filling a low in calories, so you can eat a lot)
    fruits!
    greek yogurt
    peanuts

THIS! Your diet lacks nutrition for sure. Losing weight is great, but being healthy is better.
  • meljane28
    meljane28 Posts: 17
    Options
    Keep up the great dedication to logging, Lisa! I echo the sentiment of adding in some exercise...it will make a big difference! Also, it seems like maybe you are skipping some meals in order to allow for more calories in one meal? So I would think that smaller, more regular meals might help your metabolism.
  • mrose36801
    Options
    Try Atkins. You can lose up to 15 pounds in 2 weeks and you stay full with the food choices. Also, though it's hard to start exercising, once you do, you will start feeling better and actually want to keep doing it.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I was plenty obese.

You forget that OP is not exercising and I'm guessing you do a fair bit of exercising (in addition to eating right most of the time). There are many variables. People who are exercising can get away with more junk food but that doesn't mean that it is particularly beneficial to one's body. Some people insist that they would be mentally messed up if they don't eat sugar--so I guess it is "necessary" for them. I haven't eaten any sugary food in three years and I honestly don't miss it--maybe because I know it just does NOT "do a body good". The sugar habit ALWAYS catches up with you in one way or another. My mother-in-law never ate much of anything and was quite thin, but a large part of her calories were eaten in the form of sugar. She spent the last three years of her life in advanced dementia in a nursing home (and the ten years before that, she was pretty "dotty"). I saw some research recently that linked sugar consumption and dementia. Makes sense as Advanced Glycation End-products, as the acronym they use for them, "AGE", suggests, are responsible for accelerating aging in our cells and part of that aging process is inflammation. The researchers believe that AGE's contribute to inflammation in the brain and thus dementia. And what contributes greatly to the forming of AGE's? Sugar consumption. It is also behind hypertension, Type II diabetes, gouty arthritis, renal disease, etc. When one is in one's twenties, one never thinks about those possibilities. But one day you will.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

fruits!
    greek yogurt
    peanuts

THIS! Your diet lacks nutrition for sure. Losing weight is great, but being healthy is better.

Absolutely correct! What good is it to be smaller but at the end of the day have stringy muscles, flab hanging off, bad skin, thinning hair, dull eyes and no energy?? Much better to be healthy! Losing slowly with exercise and good nutrition will bring much greater benefits and it is much more sustainable. :smile:
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @Lisalamb I checked your diary a few minutes ago, and you have made excellent choices today. Great job!! Make sure you get 5 a day
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    @Lisalamb I checked your diary a few minutes ago, and you have made excellent choices today. Great job!! Make sure you get 5 a day

My name is Lesa Sass and I agree with this message. Good choices of real food. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I agree---much, much better choices today. :smile: Keep up the good work!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL choices today! What an improvement! Keep it up!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As others have said - you need to buy a foodscale.

No eyeballing, no measuring cups and no guesstimating. Weigh everything.

Weigh yourself 1-2 times a week and track your weight in a spreadsheet.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Ridiculous statement.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Do you have a scale to measure your food? Have you tracked your sodium? I can gain 3-5 pounds from high sodium days and if eat high sodium most days that could explain seeming to hold some weight. Did you try a few different sites to determine your BMR/TDEE maybe it's not quite right.

I agree. I found that when I started actually weighing my food, it opened my eyes. I was overestimating the amount of meat i was eating, underestimating the amount of fruit, etc. Food scales are the most accurate way to measure out your food. Sodium is also a huge factor, it may be water weight.

If you are struggling this will help. I found I was underestimating calories and overestimating exercise. Bad combo, which is why I came here. If your numbers are correct for what you need daily (TDEE -20%), and you track everything correclty, you should see results over time.

You might also scheudle a doctor visit and have yourself checked for anything else that might be hindering weight loss.

GOOD LUCK!
  • kirby4460
    Options
    Hey Lisa, Phil, im new to this but have been a weight watcher member for 2 yrs. Im going to bet if you would track better, no exceptions, dont worry about the exercise, but it helps a lot for the written things you eat dont worry as much about the points or calories but record everything you eat period, and limit your carbohydrates im trying this mfp thing but still using pen and paper to record what i eat, and ill tell you, knowing you have to be accountable to something,ie scale at ww makes a big difference, at least for me, its not really a diet its you have to CHANGE something. Look at what you eat everyday its probly all the same foods, and just change a couple things, youll start losing, i exercise at gym three days a week and this time of year start bike riding as much as 120 miles a week and that makes absolutely no difference at all its all in the food you take in i only exercise for the fitness part, i just had a knee replaced and did a long stretch w no exercise to confirm that im at 10 weeks since left knee replaced, and ill tell the truth im fat and need to lose a lot im over 280 and gain and lose but i know what works and what doesnt from doing ww for 2 years, dont get hung up on the lil details just track, more importantly, scribble out what u plan to eat for the next week and try to follow it, if i do that, plan, i lose for sure. please excuse me for being so wordy im new to this and your cry looked like one of my thoughts a lot. Keep Trying, Phil