Scared to give notice...

Options
2»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone. I will type up a letter but I feel I owe her an in person explanation. Like I said, I understand her and she has been good to me. I have never been good at leaving a job. I get emotionally and personally connected to my employers.

you don't owe her any explanation and if you provide one, you open the door for her to try and guilt you into staying or doing something above and beyond what you are being paid to do.

unless you are personally friends with her outside of work, just keep your resignation business-like. if you already have the other job, you don't even need to tell her where you are going or why.

does she confide the personal details of her life in you? if no, then you shouldn't either.

the only exception would be if you had a friendship outside of work you intend to continue.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude (really)..but you're an adult, just do what you have to do. No reason to be scared.

This^^.
  • bateslin
    bateslin Posts: 67
    Options
    I would thank her for the opportunity to work with her over the past several years. I would indicate that you have been offered an opportunity to further your career goals which offers an increase in pay and benefits. While you appreciate her as an employer, you cannot turn down the new job opportunity. Just keep it very concise, straightforward and respectful.

Best of luck in your new job!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's just business. Your family and your pocketbook is more important.

You take a deep breathe and you walk into her office hand her your letter of resignation and say I've loved being here for the last 5 years but I think at this time I need to broaden my experiences.

Don't burn bridges. Do your job. Help them out as they request until your last day. I wouldn't volunteer to do extra though resist that temptation. When I left my last job no one really knew how much I did and believe me they were hurting, but I left on good positive terms.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's best for you. It's her reponsibilty to make sure other people can do the jobs of others in case someone leaves. If she does not know how to do half the stuff you do, that is her own fault. A $.50 cent raise tells me you were not appreciated anyway. Enjoy the new job, raise in pay and benefits. Don't look back.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would put it in writing, but tell her in person on Friday. That way she has the weekend to digest it.

Be firm and tell her that you enjoyed the opportunity to learn and grow with her, but an opportunity came up that was too good to pass on and was better suited for you and your family (if you have one) Be prepared for her to ask you to stay and offer you some sort of incentive. When she does that, just tell her you have already committed to taking the new job and you are not going to reneg on that commitment..

Good luck with your new job.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Dear current boss,
    It is with regret that i must hand in my resignation.
    I have been given an amazing opportunity at company Xyz that i can not pass up.
    I will miss working at Current company and wish you all the best in the future.
    My last day of employment here will be the 20th,
    Regards,
    OP

Done.
    It seems scary but once its done you will feel better( i had to put mine in last month)
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you have to think about you and your families best interest,its hard to leave after 5 years but if you stay, where will you be in 5 yrs.are they ready to give you benefits and a healthy increase.the flip side of the coin is if they closed next week what would they do for you.Look after youself and dont feel guilty about it
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Some good advice in here already. I agree with not over-explaining, despite the temptation. You can be graceful and succinct. Not only do you not owe your boss a lengthy explanation, there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't provide a lengthy explanation. It's unnecessary and almost always just a means to alleviate some of your own guilt while unintentionally providing means for the person receiving the explanation to argue and/or get feelings hurt.

I agree with the in person and in writing approach. For both, be clear you are leaving, the decision is done, you are taking another opportunity. It's not a negotiation. You have already decided your boss will freak. So keep it short.

Congrats on getting a job you wanted by the way. Don't let that success be tarnished by someone else's crazy.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I spent 24 years in the Air Force and when I came to the civilian sector I learned quickly that you cannot worry about them freaking out becasue your leaving...you need to worry about yourself!!

That being said this was the type of letter (e-mail) I submitted when I left

I am writing to notify you that I am providing two weeks notice and will be resigning from my position as XXXXX with XXXX
    Company. My last day of employment will be January 15.

Please let me know if I can provide any assistance with the transition. I would be glad to provide whatever support I can during
    my remaining time with the company.

I wish you and the company success in the future. Thank you for all the support you have provided me during my tenure with
    the company.

Best regards,

Good luck with the new job!!
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for a counter offer. This happened to me once and I was caught off guard. Know what you are going to say and stick with it.

There is great advice for this work related stuff at www.askamanager.org.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Consider giving a nice gift as you leave. That will go a long way in your employer not feeling rejected/betrayed.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Just keep it short, sweet, and polite. I would say something like "I am giving you my two weeks notice this morning. My last day will be April 15 (for example)." I wouldn't go into explanations unless asked.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give her your reasons for leaving. Just say that you're moving on and your last day will be <blah>

If she asks you why you're leaving don't tell her unless you're willing to stay if she changes things.

If you know she won't change things even if she promises to then go with the first strategy: don't give reasons, just announce you're leaving using the proper resignation letter or forms (I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods).

No sense of guilt. People move on from jobs every day. It doesn't have to be an awkward, break up style thing.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would put it in writing, but tell her in person on Friday. That way she has the weekend to digest it.

You got a lot of good advice here, but I'm going to disagree with this statement. It sounded like she may need to find someone in time for you to be able to train them a little, so since you know earlier, they may take it slightly better with slightly more notice than is required.

I once had a boss who was extremely volatile, and it seemed to soften the blow a little when I told her it wasn't an easy decision, and that I'd been torn, but needed to do this. If they don't find someone right away, you may have time to give them some written instructions that the new hire can work from. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible. The day you give notice will be hard, but then the worst will be over, and the improvement to your life is well worth it.
  • reallymary
    Options
    Miss AleyJewell,

Write up a professional resignation letter. Make it short and polite. State that you have a better opportunity for YOURSELF. Don't negotiate, move on. This current job will not ever be what it should be for you. Give your boss 2 weeks notice - that is industry standard and it is professional to do so. Alway protect your reputation!

During the exit interview, take the opportunity to tell her some of the challenges your replacement will face - these are your boss' challenges! Use the exit interview to be a true professional and help your current boss create a better workplace. Don't be emotional. But DO be positive. Smile and be proud of yourself!

And go forth and conquer!