vegemite

Options
I hope I spelled that right. I will be getting the chance to taste it. For those who eat it or have tried it... is it good? What is it made up of?

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I HATE it! It's incredibly strong. I think it's a yeast product.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lick a kangaroos *kitten*
    Don't do it
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Do you like eating stock cubes? That's pretty much what it tastes like. Vegemite is made from yeast.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Vegemite and Marmite are both popular yeast products in my homeland of Australia. The low calorie brown paste is supposed to be used SPARINGLY. That means 'one little dab' of this stuff will give you tons of flavor. I love to put a drop of Marmite on a piece of toasted and buttered bread. It gives the bread a 'meaty flavor', like eating a grilled steak sandwich. I will admit that it may be an acquired taste. I grew up eating it at breakfast time.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    i just had vegemite on toast for my morning break at work. yum. i also like marmite ( NZ marmite that is )
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Vegemite and Marmite are both popular yeast products in my homeland of Australia. The low calorie brown paste is supposed to be used SPARINGLY. That means 'one little dab' of this stuff will give you tons of flavor. I love to put a drop of Marmite on a piece of toasted and buttered bread. It gives the bread a 'meaty flavor', like eating a grilled steak sandwich. I will admit that it may be an acquired taste. I grew up eating it at breakfast time.

Big marmite fan, here. It's a product made out of left over yeast from brewing, so it's got a rather interesting and strong flavor. Great on buttered bread or as a spread in a sandwich with cheddar (or daiya fake cheddar) cheese. Also a great way for vegetarians to get B12...
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Try it just for the experience. My husband lived in Australia for a few years as a kid and insisted I try some. Not bad, definitely an acquired taste if you haven't grown up with it.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Marmite is way to sweet. Vegemite all the way.
  • Teanbaa
    Teanbaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    NOM NOM NOM i love vegemite
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've had Marmite every day, almost, all my life. My children all love it, and some of my grandchildren. If I am away from home, and cannot get it, I feel really deprived - and when we lived in US for two years, had to have friends bring it over specially!

You either love it or hate it - I posted a thread here about 9 months ago on the Team UK group asking if people loved or hated Marmite, and the Marmite lovers had a slight edge over the haters - but there was no in-between.

It is very salty, but does have some useful vitamins in it. Supposedly it started as the residue left in the bottom of the barrels after beer had been brewed.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Our friend is coming from Australia and bringing some... I think he did say Marmite but not sure. I will try it so, we will see....
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love Marmite, don't think I've tried vegemite. It's my main source of Iron (and some B-vitamins).

Marmite: brewer's yeast extract.
    Vegemite: brewer's yeast extract/baker's yeast extract (depending on if halal or not).
    Bovril: beef extract/chicken extract/baker's yeast extract (depending on flavour/country/halal/vegetarian version).
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love Vegemite, but my favorite is Promite. nom noms
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Love Vegemite but yes you need to spread it VERY VERY thinly especially if you weren't brought up on it. Try it with a tasty cheddar cheese, that's the best!
  • Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Can't stand vegemite but my husband loooves it. If you give him the opportunity he'd eat it everyday on his toast!
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Uh, it's possibly one of the best things ever! Toast with butter and vegemite (note, just a little bit!) is delicious and one of my favourite things to eat. But then, I am an Aussie and I grew up on this stuff!
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    i prefer vegemite to marmite....i grew up in nz and every kiwi kid ate this stuff....my friends liked it sparingly on bread with a few potato chips (plain salted)....squish the bread to crunch the chips down a little and away ya go!!!! i never liked the vegemite and chip sandwich but i love it with some sliced cheese on top and grilled in the oven or with sliced tomatos and crispy bacon.....sighhh....brings back fond memories....:).....my husband (canadian) however, calls it "poop in a jar".....but then, he eats cheez whiz, so there's no accounting for taste....LOL....enjoy!!!!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tried it when I was backpacking in Australia and found it to be the most disgusting thing I had ever tasted. Vegemite to them is what peanut butter is to Canadians and Americans. You pretty much have to be raised on it from infancy to aquire the taste. Can't hurt to try... never know you might actually like it. Let us know.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    HORRID!