skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time" is the grown up equivalent of "the dog ate my homework"

You have put this so well!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ...someone says..."wish i had time to go to the gym"

First off, props for putting in the time to look so amazing!

Secondly, don't get discouraged with people when they say stuff like that. I know we all HATE it, like it is so easy to stay on track, eat well, workout, and still manage our everyday lives. But look at the success forums and all those posts in there of people sharing their stories - including all the trials, wins, and fails - and think how much motivation it gives. You can do the same with your story.

So when they say something like that, educate them. Let thme know that it only take s a few lifetyle changes to make changes in their own body. Make suggestions for adding a couple 15 minute walks a day. Suggest cutting back on soda or adding more veggies and fruits. Leave the ball in their court, but don't shoot them down or try to justify yourself. Be the light that they might need to get started!

Props gurl!
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ...someone says..."wish i had time to go to the gym"

First off, props for putting in the time to look so amazing!

Secondly, don't get discouraged with people when they say stuff like that. I know we all HATE it, like it is so easy to stay on track, eat well, workout, and still manage our everyday lives. But look at the success forums and all those posts in there of people sharing their stories - including all the trials, wins, and fails - and think how much motivation it gives. You can do the same with your story.

So when they say something like that, educate them. Let thme know that it only take s a few lifetyle changes to make changes in their own body. Make suggestions for adding a couple 15 minute walks a day. Suggest cutting back on soda or adding more veggies and fruits. Leave the ball in their court, but don't shoot them down or try to justify yourself. Be the light that they might need to get started!
    Props gurl!

Yhank you, and i didnt say anything, for a while, and then i said i attribute my weight loss to counting calories, and the gym for toning. Then i made a post about, counting calories and what it helps achieve.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    the reality is, while they were on facebook posting that comment, they could have been at the gym ;) its just their excuse for not being as strong (physically and mentally) as you.

^this. my sister in law said about another woman who lost bunches of weight, "oh yeah but she gets to stay home all day and has all that time to workout!" Ummm, i dno? I personally don't know too many SAHM's who have all that bunches of time. Just me, LOL. Seriously tho, your days get filled up fast. Also she and her husband have now been unemployed for a few years and not only do I not see any feverish attempts at job hunting, I also notice no weight has been flying off either of them. Go figure. It actually takes EFFORT apparently. LOL. Putting on my list of things to point out sneakily at next visit, by bringing up that girl with "all that spare time on her hands."

Agreed! I dont personally have all this spare time people think sahm have. My son is 16 months old, into everything 24/7, when he crashes for a nap, im trying to clean up this house before he gets up again to trash it haha! i know when he gets older, i will probably have a little more time, when he isnt getting into literally everything!!

I agree.. generally mom's who have a lot of babysitting support/ can afford child care tend to be the ones who have time to seriously dedicate time to going to the gym and improving themselves. Not everyone has that believe it or not, especially parents who have children with special needs - I happen to be one of these parents and it wasn't until this year when hubby started working from home that I could actually go to the gym. My son needs specialized care and most daycares and gyms don't have it.

Just adding to the train of thought here, good on anyone including myself who can dedicate time to improve themselves but don't pass judgment on other people because they don't have as much time as you. Personally I think if that 'friend''s comment really bothered OP, OP doesn't have to be friends with her. OP kinda sounds high and mighty.. sometimes we need to judge less and empower people more (or let them empower themselves)

First and formost, sorry about your child, i couldnt imagine.
    Second: I dont think i am HIGH AND MIGHTY, this post wasnt even turned in that direction. Its not judgemntal, when my entire post was directed at counting calories. I can be the busiest person in the world, and not eat that double cheeseburger. I know the person, and they can go to the gym or walk outside, they choose to go out to the bar, and waste their calories away.
    Third: let us not, pass judgement, as you did on me! I do my best to empower people, and help them ever chance i get, i am a very pay it foward person. Maybe if your read my OP, you would have seen that, but rather than sit here and say YOU THINK YOUR HIGH AND MIGHTY, ill simply say have a good day.

I said you COME OFF that way. I don't really think it's cool to complain about people "being" jealous of you and pass judgment because they said they don't have time to workout. REALLY? I can't believe the comment even bothers you compared to what a lot of other people must have said. If it's a big issue, delete them or empower them. Your choice - regardless, coming here and posting these kind of things says a lot. You have been successful but that doesn't really give you much right to act like you've done it all. Not everyone wants to or is ready to take charge like you did, just let it be. Honestly, your friend could have said a lot worse.

That's really all I said.. I'm sorry if you are offended somehow by my post but if you have an amazing bf, you have support. Not a lot of folks have that out there.. I'm coming from both sides of the coin here, having been a single mom and now a married one, I know what it's like not to have any support. No family, no friends, just work work work, medical appointments, blah blah. Having that experience allows me to empathize with mom's out there who FEEL like they don't have the time. Rather than ACTING cocky and pretentious, why don't you invite your friend to workout? Since you have time, maybe you can share tips to your friend on how to find time since you think she has time. I'm just saying it as I see it, I don't know you, I don't care to really know you. Best of luck on your journey.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Of course its easier to schedule time for the gym when you are a stay at home, but that person is just making excuses. Cant get to the gym? Walk! Do something water off a ducks back you put the hard work in and the commitment.
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    the reality is, while they were on facebook posting that comment, they could have been at the gym ;) its just their excuse for not being as strong (physically and mentally) as you.

^this. my sister in law said about another woman who lost bunches of weight, "oh yeah but she gets to stay home all day and has all that time to workout!" Ummm, i dno? I personally don't know too many SAHM's who have all that bunches of time. Just me, LOL. Seriously tho, your days get filled up fast. Also she and her husband have now been unemployed for a few years and not only do I not see any feverish attempts at job hunting, I also notice no weight has been flying off either of them. Go figure. It actually takes EFFORT apparently. LOL. Putting on my list of things to point out sneakily at next visit, by bringing up that girl with "all that spare time on her hands."

Agreed! I dont personally have all this spare time people think sahm have. My son is 16 months old, into everything 24/7, when he crashes for a nap, im trying to clean up this house before he gets up again to trash it haha! i know when he gets older, i will probably have a little more time, when he isnt getting into literally everything!!

I agree.. generally mom's who have a lot of babysitting support/ can afford child care tend to be the ones who have time to seriously dedicate time to going to the gym and improving themselves. Not everyone has that believe it or not, especially parents who have children with special needs - I happen to be one of these parents and it wasn't until this year when hubby started working from home that I could actually go to the gym. My son needs specialized care and most daycares and gyms don't have it.

Just adding to the train of thought here, good on anyone including myself who can dedicate time to improve themselves but don't pass judgment on other people because they don't have as much time as you. Personally I think if that 'friend''s comment really bothered OP, OP doesn't have to be friends with her. OP kinda sounds high and mighty.. sometimes we need to judge less and empower people more (or let them empower themselves)

Second: I dont think i am HIGH AND MIGHTY, this post wasnt even turned in that direction. Its not judgemntal, when my entire post was directed at counting calories. I can be the busiest person in the world, and not eat that double cheeseburger. I know the person, and they can go to the gym or walk outside, they choose to go out to the bar, and waste their calories away.
    Third: let us not, pass judgement, as you did on me! I do my best to empower people, and help them ever chance i get, i am a very pay it foward person. Maybe if your read my OP, you would have seen that, but rather than sit here and say YOU THINK YOUR HIGH AND MIGHTY, ill simply say have a good day.

I said you COME OFF that way. I don't really think it's cool to complain about people "being" jealous of you and pass judgment because they said they don't have time to workout. REALLY? I can't believe the comment even bothers you compared to what a lot of other people must have said. If it's a big issue, delete them or empower them. Your choice - regardless, coming here and posting these kind of things says a lot. You have been successful but that doesn't really give you much right to act like you've done it all. Not everyone wants to or is ready to take charge like you did, just let it be. Honestly, your friend could have said a lot worse.

That's really all I said.. I'm sorry if you are offended somehow by my post but if you have an amazing bf, you have support. Not a lot of folks have that out there.. I'm coming from both sides of the coin here, having been a single mom and now a married one, I know what it's like not to have any support. No family, no friends, just work work work, medical appointments, blah blah. Having that experience allows me to empathize with mom's out there who FEEL like they don't have the time. Rather than ACTING cocky and pretentious, why don't you invite your friend to workout? Since you have time, maybe you can share tips to your friend on how to find time since you think she has time. I'm just saying it as I see it, I don't know you, I don't care to really know you. Best of luck on your journey.

I dont understand, how i was being cocky, because i am proud of myself. I'm never proud of myself, but it isnt like i just woke up 22lbs lighter, it has taken everything i have to lose the weight, pain, sweat and tears. I do have an amazing bf, but he works therefore, i cant just up and go to the gym whenever i choose. And in case you didnt notice, i posted this in MOTIVATION and SUPPORT. I didnt post this here to have someone feel bad, or to "show off". And you dont know what kind of support i have, point blank! OMG i have an amazing bf, So!! I didnt sit here and say oo i have it all, and im better than anyone. Sorry i came here for support, because Like i mentioned before, IT WAS HARD, to lose the weight, and I know it is harder for other people, but it was a support thing. Sorry that you felt like you had to take to bat, for the person whom i am referring to, who you dont know either, and i do. I never said it was my best friend, more of an acquaintance. . Your judging me because of my post, therefore, you obviously dont get to know people very well at all. If you didnt like what i had to say, you didnt have to comment. I didnt get on here like omg, i cant believe they said that, is was more like what gives them the right to say that. I could count my calories with or without the gym, so imo your arguement is invalid. Have a good day.
  • randimarie1125
    Options

Also, i dont feel bad, for anyone, who doesnt do anything to change it. If you sit and do nothing, at all, i refuse to feel bad, if you eat unhealthy and gorge yourself i dont feel bad. I spent over a year "feeling bad for myself" and i wish someone would have smacked me. Self-pity is not pretty, I offer motivation on my fb, and even started a fb group for making changes for weight loss, and invited everyone on my fb, so that i could help them. SO maybe you shouldnt be so quick to JUDGE ME!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    rcocW.gif
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To me, and it might depend on where/who its coming from, but its similar to "it must be nice." A comment which makes me want to start pulling hair...:noway:
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    To me, and it might depend on where/who its coming from, but its similar to "it must be nice." A comment which makes me want to start pulling hair...:noway:

Yes, that's exactly how i perceived it. Must be nice, huh. I hate when people say that, and that is exactly what she was saying.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Also, i dont feel bad, for anyone, who doesnt do anything to change it. If you sit and do nothing, at all, i refuse to feel bad, if you eat unhealthy and gorge yourself i dont feel bad. I spent over a year "feeling bad for myself" and i wish someone would have smacked me. Self-pity is not pretty, I offer motivation on my fb, and even started a fb group for making changes for weight loss, and invited everyone on my fb, so that i could help them. SO maybe you shouldnt be so quick to JUDGE ME!

AHHHH.. Me me me me that's all I'm reading.. Don't judge ME, don't be jealous of ME. I did this, I did that... Trust me, no one is jealous of your progress.. probably more of the time you have on your hands. It's mind boggling how you don't comprehend where I got the high and mighty thing from.. You post on the internet, you are bound to be judged.. particularly when you are judging others.

"If you sit and do nothing at all" "if you eat unhealthy and gorge yourself" You seem to know A LOT about a lot of SAHM's out there. :laugh:

Honestly, pretentiousness and being a know it all is not pretty, no matter how much weight you lose
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    tumblr_m3u1au28G51rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • JennaL890
    JennaL890 Posts: 39
    Options
    Awesome job with the weight loss...you look amazing! And good for you for this post. If they wanted it bad enough they would make time in some capacity to workout and burn some calories. You sure did!
  • lauriand
    lauriand Posts: 24
    Options
    You look amazing girl! Don't let anyone rain on your papade!! Keep up the good work!
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    You look amazing girl! Don't let anyone rain on your papade!! Keep up the good work!

Thank you : )
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Good job and good for you :)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I get that too from people that "work and don't have time to go to the gym like I do." Then again I also get positive comments from so many others so I try to focus on that instead and let the other comments go. People will say what they say.

Anyhow, keep up the great work and you should be proud of yourself and your success. Keep making fitness and healthy eating your priority and forget what others have to say if it is not positive. Best wishes!
  • randimarie1125
    Options
    I get that too from people that "work and don't have time to go to the gym like I do." Then again I also get positive comments from so many others so I try to focus on that instead and let the other comments go. People will say what they say.

Anyhow, keep up the great work and you should be proud of yourself and your success. Keep making fitness and healthy eating your priority and forget what others have to say if it is not positive. Best wishes!

Thank you! ^^this is exactly how i feel, Losing weight, and exercising is no walk in the park, but it gets easier. And i personally think everyone should be proud of themselves, whether they lose 1lb or 100lbs.. Because regardless, of how much you work, or how many kids you have, or how hectic, or slow paced your life is, making the decision to lose weight, and get healthier is a long road. I'm defnitely proud of myself, not because I think I'm so awesome but because i'm doing something i never thought i could. Just never thought, becoming a better me, would cause people, to think i think im so much better than everyone else. ?? Oh well, i appreciate everyone uplifting words, and i am very much appreciative of all the compliments, and advice : )
    Good job, to everyone on here, that is making small or big steps, to becoming a better you!! Be PROUD of yourself : )
  • randimarie1125
    Options

and WOW on the weight loss WTG!!!
  • bas27
    bas27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congrats mama! Don't worry about the Debbie downers:) you look awesome!