How to you manage CRAVINGS?

Options
2»

Replies

• xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I usually try to leave enough calories to have something i'm craving, so pre-logging helps me.
  • tcyork2023
    Options
    I know it doesn't help NOW, but the more your body detoxs, the less cravings you have. Like sugary and salt snacks. I had carrots for a snack last night. I normally have a small sugar free yogurt.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I make myself a cup of green/herb tea first ... before I can finish the beverage, I have usually talked myself out of eating what I can't afford (as in my daily allowance).

Me too, although at night I have to drink herbal tea because green tea keeps me awake. I have an assortment of teas to take the edge off at night. Sometimes if I'm craving sweets, it's really hard to talk myself into having tea. But once I start drinking it, it's so satisfying and calming, and it takes a long time to finish. Tea always takes the urge to snack away.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I grab a package of pop tarts,toast them, and them spread peanut
    Butter on top. Or I grab a pint of blue bunny ice cream.
    Always does the taste buds justice :)

This is only half true.

As long as you don't have carbs late at night you will be OK.

Peanut Butter at night is actually good for you.
    If you want something sweet, I suggest going for some cheesecake that doesn't have too much sugar.

Hope that helps.
    Remember, Protein and Fat will have a hard time converting into actually body fat if you don't combine it with carbs at night.
  • bekahlay1
    Options
    I don't know if this will help at all, but chocolate is my main weakness, but there are other things I like also that are sweet. A few weeks ago I was feeling really frustrated because everyone was bring sweet things to drink and eat into the house, including pop and ice cream, not things a dieting person wants to see in their house. So I tried to find something that I could drink that wasn't horrible and I would feel bad about it.

I found out that Monster makes a drink that has no carbs at all, called Absolute Zero. It has vitamins and things that give you energy during the day, but it doesn't make me feel guilty for drinking it. My mother has used weight watches in the past to lose weight and has backed off a bit. I used her points calculator to see exactly how bad the drink was, and it came up as 1 point for the entire can!! That isn't bad at all considering a bottle of pop the same size would be about 6 points. I don't know if you have ever used weight watches, but 6 points is a lot considering it's just a drink, but it's a good program if you have the money to become a member.

Mom and I also found some chocolate called Ghirardelli chocolate squares, that are dark chocolate and raspberry, they are 1 point per square, so if you need a little something and not feel bad they are great!! Also, the doves dark chocolate are also pretty low ( 1 point also). I don't really like dark chocolate but it does the trick when I feel like I'm losing my mind lol.

Hope this helped you out. And good luck!!

Bekah
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Plan a satisfying snack between dinner and bedtime. If I had my way, I'd have chips & dip and cookies every night, so I compromise with cheese & crackers and a blended iced cappuccino that come in around 250-350 calories. Actually, it's not even that much of a compromise, since it's delicious and satisfying.

Find a snack you love that leaves you feeling satisfied, and work it in every night. You'll have it to look forward to.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how many calories you consume during the day but sometimes under-eating or being overly depriving with what you eat can make those cravings worse. I originally started at 1200 calories and would have terrible cravings and would be more likely to binge. After reading the "In Place Of A Roadmap" forum, I have since slowly upped my calories to about 1800-2000 on workout days and 1500-1600 on rest days and I am so much happier. I'm still consistently losing inches and I have far fewer cravings/late night binges because I'm satisfied by what I eat in the day and have more room for treats in my daily budget.

That being said, I also know from experience that those cravings can be just as much mental/emotional as anything so on that front to help deal with it, I don't keep food in the house that I'm likely to binge on (I will treat myself to them occasionally but instead of having a whole package of cookies I can eat all of in the house, I will buy one cookie from a bakery or something), I will eat something that gets close to the craving but is better for me--Greek yogurt for something sweet, veggies and hummus for something savory, I will pre-log my food so if I'm tempted to give in to something I have to think about what I will not eat later on or if I have eaten everything for the day, I will ask myself if carrots would satisfy my craving--if the answer is no, I know the craving is not from hunger but boredom/emotion/habit and I go distract myself, and for things I want often, the old favorites, I have found healthier versions of them that I can plan ahead to make later. For example, I have a killer homemade taco salad recipe (nachos are a big favorite for me) that gives me the nacho/indulgence feeling with all healthy ingredients I can easily fit into my calories and macros any day. Planning actual treats--non-healthy nachos or whatever your thing is--in advance on occasion helps. I do one cheat meal a week and when I'm tempted to go over my calories during the week, I will think to myself, "Is it worth it being my one cheat meal for the week and not getting to go out this weekend?" I also remind myself how sh*tty I feel about myself when I binge and ask if it's worth it. Over time, it does get easier. You will find what things work for you. You will still sometimes give in so just forgive yourself, learn from it, move on,
  • Nesdon
    Nesdon Posts: 3
    Options
    This is my waterloo as well. Recent studies have shown that will power is limited and you use it up during the day, too bad. But I keep a set of low cal sugar free snacks that i allow myself to eat at night like 40 cal fudgesicles, yogurt, pudding cups etc. Sometimes tho I want something savory, which is harder.

Of course managing your house so you don't have those things that set you off, but do have those things that work to snack on when your will power is low. I agree too to the idea of a hot drink, some decaf coffee or herb tea can be pretty satisfying.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    This is my waterloo as well. Recent studies have shown that will power is limited and you use it up during the day, too bad. But I keep a set of low cal sugar free snacks that i allow myself to eat at night like 40 cal fudgesicles, yogurt, pudding cups etc. Sometimes tho I want something savory, which is harder.

Of course managing your house so you don't have those things that set you off, but do have those things that work to snack on when your will power is low. I agree too to the idea of a hot drink, some decaf coffee or herb tea can be pretty satisfying.

The fudgesicles reminded me -- Eddy's Fruit Popsicles are a great treat, and are 80 calories a pop.
  • csnelling
    Options
    I get the yoplait light, dessert flavors! Redvelvet is my favorite =) They have many other options too and it's only less than 100 calories!
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hot tea with honey (60 cals or so depending how much honey)
    apple with honey (160 cals or so)
    apple sauce
    chocolate greek yogurt (this curves my chocolate craving every time for about 100 cals)
    hope these help a bit
  • Hog65
    Hog65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh!!! I was SO excited to see I could have pop-tarts & peanut butter!!!
    HAHAHA......Needed a laugh. Not trying to slam. I just looked at a box of pop-tarts last night and about died!!!
    New to this web site and I must say: I like it. Good ideas and help. Look out. I will be an expert soon!!!