Are you sure probiotics are good for you?

Options
DrBroPHD
DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
Because whenever I get sick the doctor gives me antibotics and I feel better

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    eddie_murphy_wtf_gif0rq83_zps093107e6.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because whenever I get sick the doctor gives me antibotics and I feel better

By "feel better"--what do you mean? If you mean that you feel better digestively, it may be because you have some nasty bacteria that have overwhelmed your gut and you need the antibiotics to knock them off. There are different mixes of "good" bacteria for the gut--experiment to find the one that is right for you. One that most everyone seems to like is called "Bio-K".

Interestingly, researchers have discovered that obese folk have different "critters" in their gut than normal weight folk (not that that pertains to your issue but is an interesting tidbit of information).
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Last month I had a case of raging diarrhea cause by a bactieria given to me by a friend in Mexico who was studying the little critters. The meds did nothing but slow the peristalsys according to the label. Peristalsys has nothing to do with diarrhea. At best such meds only slow the intervals but they don't even do that

After 4 days, I said screw-it and bought some probiotics, which I thought were nonsense until then. it worked within 3 hours.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    if u are having problems pooping, probiotics are the best thing u can take to realign your system. I take them every couple of months when I have problems.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I hope you are joking.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    @the diarrhea poster: slowing down peristalsis is a terrible idea. You have the problem because whatever's causing the issue, your body wants it gone. fast. slowing down the system will just get you sicker.

@kemosabe: I hear fecal transplants work wonders too.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I hope you are joking.

This hurts. I thought this was a safe place for me to ask questions
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Antibiotics should be used VERY sparingly. Most bacteria is good for us, and antibiotics generally kill everything. When my husband got terrible food poisoning, the ER gave him Cipro and some other AB and his system got so messed up. I put him on a yogurt regimen and he got better. Please note, when I say yogurt, I mean the real thing with real bacteria, not Yoplait BS.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    "@the diarrhea poster: slowing down peristalsis is a terrible idea. You have the problem because whatever's causing the issue, your body wants it gone. fast. slowing down the system will just get you sicker."

Exactly!. When I read the Immodium label,I couldn't believe it. And yet people buy and use Immodium. It must be pure placebo effect.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics should be used VERY sparingly. Most bacteria is good for us, and antibiotics generally kill everything. When my husband got terrible food poisoning, the ER gave him Cipro and some other AB and his system got so messed up. I put him on a yogurt regimen and he got better. Please note, when I say yogurt, I mean the real thing with real bacteria, not Yoplait BS.

Yeah, the sweetened and flavored stuff is not as good for you as the plain yogurt because the sugar kills off the good bacteria (something to think about when indulging one's "sweet tooth").
  • dollylohaze
    Options
    They sure are. I have celiac's disease, lactose intolerance and IBS and after taking probiotics I admit there was a week of dodginess, but now that good gut bacteria levels are restored, I feel fabulous. They're great, although they can cause something of an upset stomach at first, whilst the good bacteria battle the bad in your gut.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are great if you have the money to burn or plan to eat the food sources consistently for the rest of your life. Otherwise just eat moldy bread and kill em all.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Anti-biotics kill off your good bacteria in your gut. Pro-biotics replace them. I believe you should take pro-biotics, or drink kefir now and then to get the good bacteria in population in your gut.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options

I'm a pharmacist and read an article recently that some drug company is making a more publicly accepted version of this in capsule form - they're calling it RePOOPulate. No joke, that's seriously the name.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

I'm a pharmacist and read an article recently that some drug company is making a more publicly accepted version of this in capsule form - they're calling it RePOOPulate. No joke, that's seriously the name.

I would seriously buy it. Fecal implants are actually proven to work in many cases. Probiotics taken orally as a supplement are quite iffy.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    OK, so antibiotics are just that. ANTI-biotics. They kill *all* the bacteria in your system in an effort to rid your system of whatever is ailing it. Kind of like a carpet bomb, antibiotics are totally indiscriminate.

When you were a wee baby (hopefully) you were breastfed - passing essential bacteria (among many other things of course) from your mother to you so that it might colonize in your colon (latin is funny, huh?). Of course there are many other ways that bacteria enter your system including through breathing and eating. So along the way we all developed what is called "gut flora" meaning the balance of beneficial and not-so-beneficial bacteria. This balance help in digestion and assimilation of food particles in the small and large intestines.

I repeat: antibiotics kill EVERYTHING bacteria. If you want to help restore your gut flora taking probiotics is a good way to do that.

ETA: One of the goodies lactobacillus acidophilus

lactobacillus-acidophilus-original-strain-317-402-narine_zpsad60deea.jpg
  • stefaniealvarado39
    Options
    There is no medical literature that currently supports that probiotics work as intended. That being said, I always give them when I prescribe antibiotics, especially to kids.
  • stefaniealvarado39
    Options
    OK, so antibiotics are just that. ANTI-biotics. They kill *all* the bacteria in your system in an effort to rid your system of whatever is ailing it. Kind of like a carpet bomb, antibiotics are totally indiscriminate.

When you were a wee baby (hopefully) you were breastfed - passing essential bacteria (among many other things of course) from your mother to you so that it might colonize in your colon (latin is funny, huh?). Of course there are many other ways that bacteria enter your system including through breathing and eating. So along the way we all developed what is called "gut flora" meaning the balance of beneficial and not-so-beneficial bacteria. This balance help in digestion and assimilation of food particles in the small and large instestines.

I repeat: antibiotics kill EVERYTHING bacteria. If you want to help restore your gut flora taking probiotics is a good way to do that.

They actually don't. Antibiotics are broken up into classes based on what types of bacteria then are effective against. Amoxicilan, for example, is a beta lactam and interferes with peptotidiglycan which is only in gram + bacteria cell walls. A gram - enteric bacteria, like what's in your intestines, is not affected by it.
  • stefaniealvarado39
    Options

I would seriously buy it. Fecal implants are actually proven to work in many cases. Probiotics taken orally as a supplement are quite iffy.

It's actually a treatment for clostridium difficle infections that have proven resistance to antibiotics. =)
  • Dmvisco
    Dmvisco Posts: 2
    Options
    I think you are confusing antibiotics and probiotics...not the same thing