Would you go to a school reunion in my shoes!?

Options

Replies

• CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is just for fun, don't worry, no matter what you say I won't be crying into my pot noodle. There's a school reunion in June. At the moment I'm divorced, unemployed and I live at home with my parents. Not a sniff of a new man either. I'm not unhappy though. I'm fairly content, but, I 'd be nuts to go wouldn't I? I am job-hunting and house-hunting but that doesn't sound quite the same as having a job and having a house! It won't cut ice. Mixed school if that makes any difference. I think I'm less afraid of the men judging me.
    So..I kinda know how you feel my 10 year reunion is this year I have been divorced for a year, coming out of another horrible relationship no job plus diagnosed bipolar and gained 100lbs..so i won't attending unless something of a miracle happens
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Brings to mind a quote from a great movie I saw recently... "I'm in here, because they say I have a nervous condition. Well, here's my question. Who wouldn't be nervous, if they really, really looked at their lives. I mean, who's life is that good?"
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For the most part..I wouldn't worry about others... If you are happy that is what matters.. Others can only break us down..you would more than likely be one of the only people who will be happy...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just lie and make up an awesome dream life :D
  • Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's a school reunion in June. At the moment I'm divorced, unemployed and I live at home with my parents. Not a sniff of a new man either. I'm not unhappy though. I'm fairly content, but, I 'd be nuts to go wouldn't I?

Maggie, I am in nearly exactly your situation now, and with your reunion on the horizon, I was in exactly your shoes just two months ago... or maybe you're in mine!

February was a strange time for a reunion, I know, but since it is a religiously-based college, there is a homecoming every February, and after going the year after graduation (1994), I'd not been in another 19 years, although I'd wanted to and vowed to... and this year it came together that I was able to attend...and yes, it so happened to coincide with a 20 year reunion meeting on one of the nights for my class after the main sessions were over.

There are a few differences in our shoes. I'm male, not actually unemployed, and my kids are not with me, but I am severely under-employed, living with family, and not exactly divorced yet--and no whiffs/sniffs of a woman, lol.

However hard it may seem to show up without a house or a job, consider there is a strong stigma attached to a failed marriage in conservative Christian circles, and I wondered how well it would go with my life in a shambles, but I went, and I'm glad I did. Actually the first reunion I've ever attended, and at arguably the worst time in my life to go to one...

I'm going to take Mavrick7a's experiences and say I'm glad I didn't show up at the 10th to hear (and disseminate) all the bragging and see all the difference the next 10 years would have made... and for that matter, those who came that I talked with were not bragging it up, but had a calm repose that welcomed me to be myself.

We graduated 100 for our Centennial Celebration back in '93, but only about 5-6 showed up in 2013 (I believe social media has largely cut into the reunion gig), but we had a pleasant little meeting--I saw a dear friend for the first time in 20 years--we had many classes together (and while in college, she was already a licensed aerobics instructor and did that as her work study... so one of the classes we had together, she taught, lol) and I always respected her greatly--and she'd been through a divorce, too, and was now remarried, and when I had to answer her questions about my own situation, I told her and the others the divorce I'm going though has been particularly rough, that I'm starting over and in a rebuilding phase in my life--and actually these questions came more as a result of me dropping my "life-long" nickname, by which they knew me and decisively going with my legal name--and I told them that yes, there are identity issues that come with what I've been through, and this is who I am now.

I won't pretend it didn't get silent for just a second--I think everyone tuned in to hear my answer--but I can say I have no regrets as I would have if I'd bowed to any pressure to give an awe-inspiring answer (by way of a lie). Also instead of bragging or pleading for sympathy, instead I was showing them my genuine and vulnerable side, and these were all safe people to do so around. For that matter, while I perhaps did not receive the best advice before embarking into my "doomed to failure" name change, the decision (like many others) was made with adult finality, is irreversible, and life goes on--and it goes *forward*--without regrets--especially for me, because I want to be called by the name I prefer.

As far as the hard seasons of life, the bends in the road that come our way--we can be enriched by every experience--have you ever noticed how much you can learn about yourself through a really good job interview--even (and especially when) you don't get the job?

Also, at the reunion, one thing I could talk about with a healthy dose of self-regard was how I've been taking care of myself the last 9 months, biking these Virginia hills gave me such stamina in my legs that when I showed up at my first aerobics class in 20-some years, I had the instructor baffled, as she looked my way she said, "if that doesn't burn, there's something wrong with you!" Part of becoming and rebuilding is exercising--even biking throughout the winter here in Virginia--and my care for myself has led me to this site to clear some hurdles--mostly with my diet--that I was not able to clear on other sites.

In any case, reunions are about relationships--and that is a two-pronged statement: If those relationships were always so shallow that all anybody could do was brag, jockey for position, and cut others down, then maybe you could ask "What's the point, I'm mature enough to read the handwriting on the wall and will be enriched by avoiding that fiasco!" If on the other hand, if these were people with whom you shared a meaningful part of your journey, and you wish to join paths just for a few cadenced steps once again, you may find the experience very rewarding and very enriching!
  • Grubbmeister276
    Grubbmeister276 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You know what would be really awesome? Go, show up confidently, tell anyone who asks the truth. Be open. Own your reality. If you are OK with it, and can get over the fear of being judged, I think showing up and being completely open and who you are will be life affirming.

Yes, eyelikepie, thank you for this!!! Everyone here loves this quote, and I think you have crystallized what I had not understood before now...and that's *exactly* *why* I can look back at my reunion two months ago and feel a healthy self-regard (the good kind of "pride"). I was in these same shoes, and I owned the reality, and it has been life affirming! Thank you!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I also have my 10th in june + no husband and kids. This was one of my motivations to get my skinny self back and at least rock a short skirt while others still carry baby weight >:)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm very particular about shoes. What do they look like? Would they fit me? I wear a size 6 and I'm not super comfortable in heels.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Why do you care what peole think? They haven't walked in those afore mentioned shoes.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I went to mine 5 year because it was open bar. Ended up screaming "I HAD SO MUCH FUN!" before vomiting all over the outside of my boyfriend's car lol true story. It was a good time though even though high school was a nightmare for me. So why not just go and get some free drinks?
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lifjj7C8SJ1qczhono1_500.gif
    just be like romy and michele and lie.. lol.... i would... haha... but obviously i would lie about something realistic.... and delete ur facebook if u have one... so they cant find out.... oh and if they are mean to u just say this ....

tumblr_ma954eR3zX1r4fcnoo1_500.gif
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Tell them you invented Post-its. They'll totally believe you.

lmfao!! I was thinking about the same thing :D

And idk what I would do, I guess it depends if there's actually people you want to see.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hot, you're golden.

And you know what, she is!! Go for it Margo!
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    By all means go and tell those catty women that you were fortunate to make some great investments so that your able to enjoy the single life while you help look after mom and dad in your spare time. See the jealousy overtake the room and be glad you don't have to go home with most of their husbands. :drinker: And by all means have a great time!!!
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    If you go, they are going to love talking about what they will certainly see as your shortcomings.

Honestly, I'd stay away if I were you.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    @maggiepuccini - Don't worry about being judged. I noticed that at my10th reunion, everyone wanted to show each other up. I married this girl, make so much money, and look at my house and boat.
    10 years are like that. I used to bartend at a hall and we'd pull each others hair out to work them because everyone would overtip to be a show off :laugh:

Anything 20 years or more is FAR less pretentious (for the most part). You should definitely go...you never know who you might reconnect with. I reconnected with some amazing girlfriends at my 20, and we're planning our 25th this summer too (and at least one of the people on our committee is recently divorced and just moved in with her parents). Its safe to say there will be other people there in your same shoes...don't let it stop you from having fun!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much what your former high school classmates would say. You'll probably come across to a couple of them that like to spew BS and say they make a boatload of money, is a CEO of a company, etc. Don't let that bother you.
  • BiggJim38
    BiggJim38 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I say go! Take the hand you where delt and show them that when you get knocked down. ya have the strength to pick yourself back up and keep fighting.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options

omg, who's this!? refresh my memory!? oh hang on , does your name begin with J? :-)
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Send me a message! :-)