The Poop Question for Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - early runner (I get up at 4am if I have to work, 5 am on Sundays). I haven't found a way around it. I usually have some sort of caffeine before I head out. I have a 7.5 mile route on the schedule for tomorrow and I going to try avoiding it and see what happens.

Thanks for posting the topic!!

Skipping the caffeine first thing seemed to do the trick..
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill. I stop, run down the hall, then get back to it. But that's not really an option if you're an outdoor runner.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just experienced this for the first time this morning! Caught me by surprise to say the least. I hit mile 3 and boom! I mentally altered my route for a short cut home. I made it to mile 4 and had to walk and "clench". It was at that point that I started thinking can I knock on someone's door or ask one of the people getting into their cars if they could drive me home or if I could use their bathroom. So after a few minutes of clenching I jogged a bit, then walked a bit longer, then finally got it under control, made it home, very short cool down walk on the driveway as I began shedding layers, then straight inside. I am glad to know I am not alone. WOW, it was a mental ordeal at 5:30am!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    heheheh...... poop.

haven't had this lovely experience (hoping i don't but since i'm starting to train for a half i'm not gonna rule it out). with that said i have had to stop and pee in the woods before. when my counts go from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (i do an 8 count) to 1, 2, 3 i have to pee, 5, 6, i have to pee..... i know it's time to stop. thankfully i have yet to be "caught".
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Seems like a pretty sh**ty problem to have.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Its f'd up I agree. I hate it when I have to pee in the middle of the run, especially when I have a partner... Id say, "oh, you run ahead while I mark this territory here..." lol.... It sucks in the winter too when you have so much thermals on and peeing in the bushes is so much harder...
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    You know thats hard because I am trying to diet and high fiber is good for dieting. I drink 1 cup of coffee in am. I walk almost daily so in order to cut out fiber for 24 hrs would be impossible. I am going to stay close to home for now and see if it does not improve. I have only been dieting and exercising for about a month, It may just be changing my diet and exercise has my system going through a change. I even have to stop exercise videos to go to the bathroom. I am going to keep searching for help.I might go buy sept issue of runners world.

When I started dieting in Jan. I had the same problem, going all the time. I think it is because you are changing your diet, I added much more fiber and protein and my digestive system was working itself out. Took a few weeks and then I was back to "normal".

I do not have a solution for during exercise. It doesnt normally happen to me, except having to pee during a run on occasions. My body is like clockwork and an hour after exercising is my time.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue and even once had to hit the woods because it came with a vengeance. My problem right now is having to pee. Training for a 10 mile run and for some reason I have been having a real issue with it this year. Last Saturday did 9 miles and only had to stop and pee once, but the weekend before I did 8 miles and must have stopped 3 times to pee. I have been avoiding hydration because of it, which I know is not good either.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well you could always take Dwight's "prank" from "The Office" and put Imodium in your coffee! lol j/k! Although you may want to consider looking up "natural" alternatives to Imodium and just have a small amount of that before you head out in the morning.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that picture that was going around awhile ago of some guy running a marathon with *kitten* running down his leg...he just kept on going.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Very common! Good article here...

http://running.about.com/od/nutritionandhydration/f/runnerstrots.htm

If you still want to run early in the morning, try drinking something warm. If you don't like coffee, try tea or even hot water with a Tbsp or 2 of lemon juice. Not sure if you usually eat breakfast but try eating something light as this may also stimuloate your bowels.

I've also heard dehydration can be part of the problem. A good rule of thumb for water intake is to drink 1/2 your body weight (in pounds) in ounces. For example, I weigh 175 pounds so that's 87.5 ounces or about 11 cups. Add about two more cups of water per day if you're active - but this may not be necessary if you eat a lot of raw foods as they'll hydrate you as well.
  • Kori76
    Kori76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LMFAO, MAYBE A CORK? :)
  • meb0407
    meb0407 Posts: 492
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the other posts concerning the caffeine and staying hydrated. Its always been my experience with long distances that planning ahead and having coffee (or even just a cup of warm water) 30mins before leaving the house helps to "relieve" my stress :blushing: You'll find what works best for your body and stick with that plan!
  • meb0407
    meb0407 Posts: 492
    Options
    I've run triathlons, marathons, and the like so let me just tell you... pee yourself before you skip the hydration! I'm serious... lots of endurance athletes do it and you just have to get over it to stay competitive. Do as much business as you can before you go out and then find your pace and stick with it!