'Cleaner' snack ideas

Options
Ok so so far I've been sticking with 'as long as it fits my calories then I'm going to eat it' so my snacks aren't all that healthy but I've hit a plateau now for 3 weeks and also feel I need to make some healthier choices. Generally snacks would be popcorn, cake, crisps, biscuits, chocolate........ not the best choices but I still won't be cutting them out altogether but limiting them to one snack per day instead of all 3.

But what do I eat instead? I don't eat meat so no 'x amount of cooked chicken' suggestions please and cottage cheese is like devil's semen. I don't like protein type drinks either.

On my shopping list so far I have: Edamame beans, nuts and dried fruit, suggestions welcome.

Replies

• lagringaloca1
    lagringaloca1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Celery stuffed with peanutbutter, and I make a canned salmon with cream cheese spread (that has lemon juice and a drop of siracha) that I keep in the fridge to put on whole wheat crackers...
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    As someone who is slightly hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) I am constantly snacking!
    Okay many suggestions:
    If you are not lactose intolerant: (Laughing Cow cheese wedges with some Triscuits)
    Almonds, while higher in calories are excellent for you and with the fat and protein content will keep you full for a while.
    Any fruit is a perfect snack (don't worry about the sugar content) most fruit are mainly water.
    Air Popped Popcorn. I would recommend going to Walmart/Target and getting a Hot Air Popper. It is only like $5-10 and you can buy a bag of kernels for like 3$.
    Pickles/ Peppers are also excellent salty snacks that will fill you up and are extremely calorie dense.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Crunchy veggies work for me. Baby carrots, celery, snow peas in the pod. You could also make some roasted chick peas or homemade baked chips. I also love apples with a strong cheese and yogurt for breakfast. I am currently eating a boild egg every day because some damn bunny hid a bunch in my house. ;)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    cheese slices with grapes or apples or melon and a side of almonds.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit
    Almonds
    Apples and peanut or almond butter
    Banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter on it (my go-to dessert, so yummy)
    Apples with cinnamon
    Veggies and hummus
    Crackers and hummus
    Yogurt
  • Cryck84
    Cryck84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1/3 c quick oats with 1/4c frozen berries made with water. I measure it out in a little container, then add boiled water and let it sit, or tap water and pop it in the microwave. Even if it's in your lunchbox for a couple of hours before you add the water it's fine.

I also like a hard boiled egg with some salt and pepper.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    if you cant kick the chocolate, or need chocolate/baked goods, a good alternative is "vitamuffins" or vitatops" the double chocolate are delicious heated up with some peanut butter on top!

also cottage cheese with cucumber, hardboiled eggs, almonds, fruit, babybel cheese, hummous and carrots/celery/snap peas, tuna snack cans (thai chili is a delicious one)
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump! These suggestions are great and I need ideas.
  • jewelswye
    jewelswye Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    and cottage cheese is like devil's semen.

OMG PMSL at that description. But agreed definately rank!!
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are a great start but please weigh them accurately as they can be VERY high in cals.

Peanut Butter with celery, apple etc is great. Also if you want a bit of a choccy fix Nutella and apple.

Fresh fruit is always good, homous is grea twith any or all of above. Crackers and rice cakes with Tuna etc...

There are loads of options - just see what you enjoy and experiment a little... I adore Dried Cranberry and Macadamia nut mixes but very calorific!!

Try making your own flapjacks and healthy brownies, there are loads of really healthy recipes out there - check out Pinterest for some very good ones...

Good luck!!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit - bananas, apples, grapes, oranges, peaches, clementines, pears, anything.
    Fresh veggies - baby carrots, celery, sliced red/orange/yellow peppers, snap peas, raw broccoli, baby tomatoes - anything. And all are great with hummus.
    Greek yogurt
    Organic granola bars
    Nuts/nut butters
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try this website for ideas - http://almondsandavocados.com/ and http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/
    These blogs have changed my life for the better! :drinker:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your snacks seem to cover fat cravings, so go for avocado, nuts, olives. Certainly fruits, veggies, popcorn and such will cover any carbs. I like a nice piece of dark chocolate (esp. chili chocolate!) too - a little goes a long way.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 cup of nuts and an apple every day. It is one of my favorite things.

Some days I will make up a little cru de ta platter with a couple slices of meat, some cheese, olives, fruit and veggies like carrots and radishes and snack on it during the day.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, some good suggestions :-)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    popcorn is a whole grain and is good for you.. as long as you don't douse it in salt and butter and such..

I eat all different stuff.. tend to do the same of similar things for a week or two then switch it.. Lots of frutis and veggies

Just get creative..

also.. google is your friend.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating broccoli, celery and carrots with a tablespoon of ranch veggied dip. This works for me! Or almonds, peanuts, cheese, strawberries, apples, etc. Just switch out the junk with healthy foods!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don' eat meat either, feel free to add me and look under my diary! I love snacks :) I love herbalife protein bars, lovvve greek yogurt (yummy and keeps you full) laughing cow cheese with triscuits, cut up apple with a tiny nutella for chocolate, edys fruit bars (popcicles, only 20-45 calories and from real fruit!) mini babybel cheeses, small salads, there is so much to choose from! Take a look at my diary :)

Oh also, for chocolate, try fiber one 90 calorie brownies, SO yummy and only 90 calories, heat up in the microwave for about 7 seconds and they are even better :)
  • sineadlpb
    sineadlpb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My favourite snack is greek yoghurt with agave, a little granola and/or fruit. This website is brilliant for healthier, homemade dessert/snack recipes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit and cottage cheese! ^_^

Loljk, I don't know WHY that is the go-to snack in books and EVERYTHING for people on diets, sounds like a faaacking hellish combination