I stink at running!! Really :/

Options

Replies

• crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    No worries! I have been doing c25k since january. I am 47 and currently 166 pounds. I repeated week 2 twice. week 3 once, and am now stuck at week 4. I can't get past the second 5 minute interval. I think my problem is due to my asthma, so the next time I run, I am going to try using my resuce inhaler to see if that makes a difference. If not, I will keep at it till I can.

Never quit!

Linda
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it. Remember when you were a baby and you were learning to move yourself around? No? Neither do I! But... I have watched other babies in this process and there's a lot of wiggling, rolling over onto their tummies, scooching on their hands, rocking onto their hands and knees, rocking back and forth on hands and knees, moving one leg while on hands and knees, rocking some more, moving one leg and then then other while on hands and knees and figuring out that's how you crawl...

you get the drift. You didn't learn to walk in one day, or even three days, or even 2 months... so you're not going to learn to run in that amount of time either.

Stick with it, and you will be a graceful gazelle very soon, my friend. Also, don't be afraid to repeat weeks in your C25K program. Do what you need to to keep progressing!
  • skinnyme444
    Options
    don't focus on your timing yet! focus on distance, build it up by half a mile every week and sometime just stick on your music on nike running app and run a route you don't know and you'll surprise yourself how far you can go! Once you've reached a mile before your goal, stick at it and take a second off every week and aim for that - good luck :-)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's worth it. Best to go at your own pace than to push yourself too fast and end up with an injury. Plus, you aren't going out there to win. You are out there to finish - so what will a faster time get you if you aren't ready for it? Keep it up and you're speed will gradually increase - and if it doesn't, you'll live :)

I also like Hal Higdon's training plans. If you google his name and 5K training it'll come up.
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My first 5K took me over 45 minutes to compete. I've been running 4-5 times a week for almost 6 months and I still can't seem to break a 30 minute 5K. I've decided that I just wasn't made to run fast but I can run long. I'm up to 10 mile runs now but only run about 11.5 minutes/mile. Most of my running buddies are doing under 10 but we meet up at the end.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you, I am not any good at endurance running. I was a sprinter in school as well. I tried running and got up to about 3 miles at a time. I then took up cycling, I really love it! I only due minimual running to get in shape for cycling season. One reason I like cycling is you get to go fast...lol If you were a sprinter and like fast, you may be try cycling to see if you like that.
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    My fastest pace this week has been 15 min/mile averaging a 3.5 mph pace.
    I know this stinks! Is it even worth it?
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.
    I feel bummed because everyone seems to be doing <10 min miles.
    Should I give it up and try something else?

Is it worth it? If you didn't know your pace or compare it to others, how do you feel once you're running or when you're done?

Would you give up something that makes you happy, feel good and healthy because it's not the same as everyone else?

No matter how or at what rate you progress or improve, you're still on the right road. And its definitely better than sitting still.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Actually, some people really are designed to be sprinters and not mid- or long-distance runners. You might be one of them. This is determined by how much fast twitch muscle fiber you have and is largely genetic. I am a sprinter by nature, too. (By the way, if you are a born sprinter, you would probably make a decent weight lifter, too.)

You should be able to build up to a 10-min mile with practice and determination, though. I did. Just track your progress and increase your speed and distance gradually.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Try doing intervals strints to help improve your time when you pace yourself. Thats helped shave 2 minutes off of my mile
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Back in my senior year of high school, I weighed 230 lbs when I decided to go out for cross country. I knew that I was never going to match the times that any of my teammates were getting. I did set a personal goal to beat my own times every race and I met that goal. You may not match or beat others' times in the short run, but if you set the goal to beat your previous day's time, then you'll beat everyone eventually. It's mathematical. Just stick with it :)
  • kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hated running....my husband could walk faster than I "ran". The more you do it, the easier/better it gets. I started in Oct '12 running 1.5 miles at a pace of 14:22. Last night I ran 5 miles at 10:51. It's just sticking with it. My long runs (most recent was 18.5 mi was at 13:27 (on a trail, so automatically slower as I have to scramble over stuff). I actually enjoy most of my runs now, never thought I would say that.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    28 lbs ago in January of this year I was a 12 and half minute miler and could barely complete 30 minutes. I am now running up to 4 miles at around 10 minute mile pace and have run 3 miles at 09:40 pace. All it took was dedication and taking my time to improve bit by bit never afraid to walk if it got too much
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    "I know I'm slow, but I'm still faster than the guy on the couch."

This is officially my favorite quote of today :tongue:
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I am 42 and started C25K in September and could hardly do the 30-second runs without huffing and puffing. I finished it in December and have been running anywhere between 2-3 miles every other day since then. You will be AMAZED by how much endurance you will build up and how your speed will begin to increase as you get stronger. When I finished the first full 5K run in December, I did it in about 50 minutes (more than 16 min/mile). I ran about 2.5 miles on Monday in 38 minutes. It's a slow process, but you will definitely see improvement if you stick with it!

Most importantly, a slow run is still better for you than sitting on the couch. That's what I keep telling myself when I groan about how slow I am. :-)
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running but I'm doing my 4th 5k on Saturday, my first one was just in November. I didn't "practice" or do anything to get ready, heck I only had 2 weeks notice before the run! I don't run the entire time yet, haven't built up to that, but hopefully will one of these days...I run the first mile then walk and run the rest of the way, with more running now. I'm in the 34 minute range and do have a goal to get to 30 minutes, but I'm not pressing it!
    I don't think I will ever do anything more than a 5k, but I do think they are fun, in a twisted kind of way!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    Do not quit. Do not give up, ever.

This reminds me of a t-shirt I saw at local 10K. This big guy was wearing a shirt that read, "I know I'm slow, but I'm still faster than the guy on the couch."
    i love it!

who cares if you're slow? running 1/2 a mile still makes you a winner.

^^THIS!
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes time to work up to it. I am just getting back into running after a knee injury. I am currently running a 10 /11 minute mile. A few years ago I ran a half marathon at a pace of 8 min 45 sec average per mile. I hope to get back to a 9 min pace again.. But it takes time.. Stick with it and you will do great.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Actually, some people really are designed to be sprinters and not mid- or long-distance runners. You might be one of them. This is determined by how much fast twitch muscle fiber you have and is largely genetic. I am a sprinter by nature, too. (By the way, if you are a born sprinter, you would probably make a decent weight lifter, too.)

That is me, to a T! I finally gave up on chasing the elusive 13.1 miles. I am content on getting my 5K time down below 27 mins as my new goal. Much, much better at sprinting (and lifting hahahahaha).
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Does the 15 min/mile include the walking breaks? I wonder what the pace is for the running part alone.

Running is hard work. No doubt about it. I've been running for about 9 years now and my pace goes up and down. Two and half years ago I had just finished my third marathon, but this morning I was dragging myself to keep that same pace for only 3 miles!

Hang in there. It gets better.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you really enjoy running, then it shouldn't matter if you're slow or not, and you should have a good time training and progressing towards your goals. If you don't actually enjoy running, and just think it's something you need to do for some bizarre reason, then stop immediately and find something that is more your "thing".

I've never understood all these people who force themselves to run when they really don't like it. Not saying that's you at all, OP, just something I notice a lot with runners, and find odd.