jogging/running with your dog...a bit different but HELP!

Options

Replies

• perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My English bull terrier can keep up with rollerblades, but he tires out easily, and he can't be out if it's too hot or too cold. My 14 year old mutt (Shar-pei, hound mix) can run all day long. I'm guessing it's the hound part, but she is FAST, and has crazy endurance. My corgi can barely make it around the block (he's epileptic and on pills that make him teh fattz0rs).
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I totally recommend it. I had a Australian Cattle Dog and she was an amazing dog. I don't have a pic for her and due to being at work I can't post it. But was golden in color but with a coat texture like a german shepherd and features of one as well. She loved running with me and would help to keep me going sometimes when all I wanted to do was walk....lol She was very well behaved on the run and would keep pace well. They are awesome partners to run with, I would love to be able to find another one of her breed. Very loyal and awesome around kids, even my best friends special needs child. She was 70 pounds of love and perfect sized dog.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Look at Rescues definitely..

we have a foster dog in our program who has so much energy he can run 10k no problem.
    But then you have to realize high energy dogs need constant outlets for energy.. not just when you feel like a run...
    Its a commitment you need to seriously consider..and think about what happens when you are too busy to run but the dog still needs exercise..

Foster programs are also not meant to be a "trial adoption" Speaking as a foster coordinator for a rescue..
    Foster parents still have to go through the application process, and there is no guarantee you can keep the dog you foster..
  • shawnteahsing
    shawnteahsing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would take my miniture poodle walking/running with me. He did fine until he hurt his leg jumping off my bed.
    Oh and hes a rescue dog. He's the best dog ever!
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is probably obvious, but just keep in mind that even if you get a breed of dog that usually likes to run you could wind up with a dog that just doesn't want to do it. I have a miniature schnauzer, and other dogs of this breed that I've known love to play fetch. Mine couldn't be less interested. Dogs do have their own personality on top of the general characteristics of the breed.

All that said, my little schnauzer hates to run (besides short bursts at the park) but my sister runs with her labradoodle all the time. I would imagine lots of bigger, retriever type dogs would make a good running partner.
  • SylLab
    SylLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old German Shepherd that LOVES to run with me! If it was up to him we would go for ten miles every morning and night! I also have a 6 month black lab mix, I am currently trying to teach them how to run together but they are at totally different paces and it can be a little challenging. My German loves to run hard and my Lab likes to walk more or less. It depends on their personaility!
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    I think one of the most important things for running with your dog is getting them trained right. Make sure they aren't going to try pulling you along when they see another dog, or stop dead in their tracks to smell that tree you're passing. While not entirely related to your question, getting them into one of the 'doggy sports' would be a good idea, too. It would give you something else to do if you felt like changing it up a bit while keeping them mentally engaged. My dog -loved- agility things before we had to have his back legs fixed.

E: Also please keep your climate in mind when you're thinking about getting a dog! A heavy coated dog will probably not do real well running in the heat, but shorter haired dogs may have issues in too much sun. (That can also be a problem with a dog you shave - just be careful!)
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I have a 15 pound terrier mix who runs alongside my bike for 5-8 miles without a problem. Yesterday, we went on a 10 mile hike and she still wanted to play ball when we got home. I grew up with large dogs (70 lb. +), but I gotta say, she's really change my perspective on little dogs. She will do anything I ask of her.

254376_2088279404712_5409782_n.jpg

The day I found her in the swamp:
    8224_1228239824260_1941962_n.jpg
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Weims - nice short coat, easy to groom, but daft as a brush and inclined to be skittish.

My grandparents bred Weimaraners and I grew up with 2. I truly believe this to be the reason that I never want to own a dog. They are dumb, hard to train and hyper! I swear, the one my parents still have eats like a billy goat. Metal, candy, chocolate, drywall, paper, plastic, cotton. She will eat anything and everything. Scarred me for life.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I fostered a couple greyhounds from our local rescue, and they LOVED to go on runs with me. Very gentle dogs, not overly active, and really beautiful.

Of course, it was just a trot for the dog, since their legs are quite long =)
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My English bulldog is ore of a walker than a runner but he walks at a fairly decent pace most of the time and we usually go about 1.5 miles per walk.
    image_zps309fc01a.jpg
  • kmcintosh12
    kmcintosh12 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We run with our Boxers. Great dogs, high energy so need to be aware of that but they are protective of thier owners. Our current set are 13 &11 so only short jogs at this point. When we are ready for a new one, we will go to the local boxer rescue.

And, while I understand they are pack animals ours are in the house alone for 10 or so hours a day. They are fine. We play a ton with them in the evening and mornings plus the weekends.
  • sarahbai1
    Options
    Labs are great dogs but do take a lot of time and energy in their younger years to train. Once trained they are amazing!! Definitely chewers as pups!! I have a lab/rhodesian mix and she just trots a long. She does like to stop and pee on everything but I just keep going and she figures out really fast she better keep moving.

She was two when I got her and I lived in an apartment. She was originally trained to pee on the walks while she was on the leash so hence the need for her to pee on everything during a walk.

Now if you get a puppy and have a house, my other dog a pit, never goes to the bathroom on the leash. She just wasn't trained that way at a young age. I think if you start them young and train them how you want them you'll be fine. I don't take the pit for a run because she is still a little to fast paced for a run. Maybe in a couple years she won't think it means to sprint and take off when i start running. I am sure if I worked with her more she would be great.

Weimereiners are amazing dogs also. Typically high energy which would be good for the run and REALLY loving and obediant dogs. They are simply there to make you happy, just like a pit only not quite as wild!

Probably not a rottweiler as they can have a lot of hip problems or a great dane, they like to walk. Any kind of hunting dog can be good with a lot of training but they can get easily distracted with squirrels an birds...etc
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would say go to your local humane society and ask if you can take a few of the dogs out for a walk / jog out in the play area. This will help you get an overall feel for each dog you handle and what to expect. If your wanting an exercise partner, I would suggest a dog that is a bit older maybe 8 months and up. You cant really jog with a puppy, and you will spend the first 1-6 months potty training. You also wont know its personality and may have a lazy dog.lol

I own two dogs a German Shepherd and a Catahoula, both I would say are excellent breeds. I also volunteered as a dog walker at my animal shelter and it helps you bond with the animals and get an insight on what your getting used too. Some dogs were unwalkable, all they did was chew the leash and jump up on me. It was impossible to do anything, then there were others that were excellent and were already trained/ ;-)
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my family has a 1.5 y/o dalmatian. she loves to run. my hubby takes her on 3 mile runs that she does easily. i more run/walk or just walk with her. she does like to sniff but you just need to train your dog to heal or at least that there is a difference when you are running and she can not stop. she'd go out every day for a run and love doing it if we could get her out that often but with 3 kids ages 3 and under things do not always go as planned.

she is a good family pet. her main duty is protection as we acquired her after a break in while i was home with the kids at night. (i had had a dalmatian previously but was so heartbroken when she died it took me 2 years before i could even consider getting another dog). she really acts like the kids do not exist unless they have her toys or are trying to play with her. dal's do have health problems such as deafness and kidney stones and skin issues. and some are known to be aggressive. my first was very protective of her family and very aggressive towards strangers but i did not acquire her till she was 3 so i have no clue how her upbringing was. Lexi the one i have now, i got when she was 3 months and she has been raised with my kids and although she does tolerate strangers when we are out on walks she is not an overly friendly dog towards them. oh and at 35-40 lbs perfect size for me. not to small (i can't stand ankle bitters) and not to huge.

as much as i love the breed. i would say labs are nice first time dogs. pretty mild mannered but can still do a lot with them. or you can go to the animal shelter they have a lot of nice dogs there. and the dogs at the shelter will have been evaluated and the staff can help match you with a dog that will be best suited to your family (kids, other pets etc)....
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What a good idea to get a rescue dog. Will definately try..might even 'try before you buy' and foster a dog for awhile. It IS indeed a long term commitment, one that I'd never step into lightly, which is why we still don't have one. None of us can decide the breed! argh.

I just noticed your comment about fostering as sort of a trial run. I had a friend who did this a couple years ago, and the dog ended up going back to her original owner after my friend had her for six months or so. I cannot describe how heartbroken my friend was when this happened. She didn't realize how attached she was before it was too late for her to adopt the dog herself. I'm not saying anything bad about fostering animals...it's a wonderful system. I'm just cautioning against fostering a dog with the thoughts of adopting it if things go well, because there's no way to know how long you'll get to keep the dog.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I had my husky she ran with me until arthritis got to her. (hence my name Cinnamonhuskies) She was always out front of me...the leader of the pack! Now I don't run as much.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs...Buster who is a Pit/Corgi rescue and Pepper who is a Blue Heeler/Aussie mix. If I take them with me then I usually go to the park, because one will raise hell if the other gets to go but not them. On running days I have been doing 3 miles running and then 3 miles walking and both have been doing fine. I go to the dog park so that I don't have to worry about a leash (though I still carry one with me), and there is about 3 miles of trails at the park.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a one year old cocker spaniel and she went throught the C25K app with me. She loves to run. I am at the 5K level and I think she could do a marathon. We come in the house after 4 miles I take off her leash and she is running up and down the hallway. I wanted a small-medium size dog that was active to get me off my lazy butt and that is what I got.
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    I would say go to your local humane society and ask if you can take a few of the dogs out for a walk / jog out in the play area. This will help you get an overall feel for each dog you handle and what to expect.
    I was just coming back here to post that! Lots of places will let you spend time with dogs to get a feel for if they're right for you, and you for them.