WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I've been MIA from the boards for a few due to being super busy at work. Only got a couple of minutes now, but wanted to say hello to you all in case you forgot about me!

No time to catch up with the posts, that will have to come later I'm afraid.

Have a great day if possible please.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I am new to messge boards and know I have alot to learn. This sounds like a group I could learn alot from.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wet & Rainy Wednesday,

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies....and boy are there a lot. Keep coming back and let us get to know you.

BJ- that bunny sure has been busy in your family:wink:

Jackie-glad you have success in your running, it's something I've never been good at and I do admire those that can run:happy: :happy:

Barbie- sorry about your mice:noway: My bookkeeper lives in the mountains way out in the country and every year she has mice nesting in the engine of her vehicle so she has to check it all the time and she has a dog & cats but they just don't seem to keep the mice away.

Meg- congrats on those 100 points....I'm sure that your habits that you have developed here on MFP are what got you to those points in the first place...hope it's a prize worthy of the hard work and discipline:drinker: :drinker: Your garage sounds like my basement...and it's a work in progress too.

Gail- I'm with you I sure wouldn't want to be reversing the lift cycle at this age:noway: :noway: I love my grandsons but I'm always ready to send them home to their Mom & Dad as they do exhaust us with all that energy.

Carol- I love the quote...good food for thought:flowerforyou:

Renny- your reflection could be repeated in my life too with a few alterations in that I'm the only one that works in my office other than my boss & his son and my boss keeps forgetting that I resigned my position as an officer in the company because I didn't want that responsibility anymore, he just doesn't get it:grumble: :grumble:

Sue- A cruise...leaving tomorrow....sounds Wonderful:love:

Jodio-good for you getting your parents condo sold and everything sorted and shared....that's quite a task:flowerforyou:

Liz-waking up in the night thirsty ? Yep I'm sure it's a sodium thing, that happens to me when I have eating something that has a lot of sodium in it...like the Easter Ham:grumble:

Lila- I hear your bah humbug & raise you one humbug....we too have overcast & rainy:sad:

Michele- Sorry you are having a long distance dilema with your son. Hoping that you are able to get it resolved as it's so hard to be a family when there is all that tension hanging around:ohwell: Glad your daughter is able to act as the middle person and hoping her brother listens to her. Yep we have decided to down size (I'm just hoping not too much smaller:wink: ) Probably just north of where we live now, in hopes of shortening my commute and into a Townhome so hubby doesn't have the yard work to deal with.

Viv- painting the house and especially the ceilings should be in some special exercise catagory somewhere and I'm sure your muscles will feel it the next day:wink:

grandmallie- that relationship your DD has doesn't sound healthy, hoping she wakes up and sees it for what it is soon.:ohwell: :ohwell: Maybe a bit of exercise will chase away the blues

DeeDee- good for you attacking those dust bunnies....I have some closets that need attention too...maybe I will attack them as well:wink:

M- 60 minuites of Combat:noway: That's some serious exercise. See my comment to Michele about our move...I'm sure to be posting more in the days to come.

Tammy- apple pie??? Sounds wonderful but I will keep it in the thoughts and not go home and make one like I'd like to:blushing: Sometimes I have to just ignore the thoughts. Glad you had a good time with your daughters in spite of the eating and I'm sure that now you are back to your regular eating and exercise you next venture to the scale will reward your diligence:flowerforyou:

Amanda- we will watch for your return and it's good to know you have just been busy in your absence:drinker: :drinker:

Last night Son #2 came over to do some texturing on the walls that hubby is doing some repair work on. It only took him about 10 min but it's always good to see your kids. Then he gave his dad some pointers on some additional work that hubby wants to get done before we list the house.

I'm hoping that one of these days I will like / love exercise but it's still not happening. I just know I HAVE to do it to keep myself healthy. I'm sure that one of my problems is that I feel that time is short in the evening and I don't like eating dinner so late and then heading to bed with a full stomach. Years ago I used to get up early to exercise before work....I may have to go back to that...just more food for thought:ohwell:

For those of you struggling to drink plenty of water, I make sure that I have a full 10-16 oz glass that I must finish with each meal then I know I'm getting in plenty of water. At work I'm so cold I constantly am drinking warm water to warm myself up so I don't have any problem getting in enough:drinker:

Must get to work. Everyone have a great day...log it all...exercise, food & water....let's make it a habit:drinker:

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • mcgray1948
    Options
    Glad I found this post. Keeping fit and healthy is not only for the young but the young at heart. April resolutions stay focus on me rather then what's I think others expect of me. Go to Gym 4 times a week. Do one thing for me once a day. Looking forward to retirement in 5 more months..:tongue: Mcgray1948
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy Hump Day!

Our basement is finally done (well, at least for now). The only thing left is to put the bar sink in the counter top, and we're waiting until Frank gets back to work to make that purchase. He's been out now since Thanksgiving and starting to get worried. He is an electrician and construction is slow out here. There are many men in his union who are out of work. He is now looking for work in other areas. I hope something opens up soon. He wants to retire in five years, but he has to have a certain amount of time in along with his age to hit that "magic number" for retirement.

:smile: Sue - I used to exercise years ago with programs that were ON DEMAND on Exercise TV. I don't even know if they are still on, but I purchased a series of three DVD's, one on Strength, one on Abs, and one on Cardio. They were from the "Star Trainers" series. I'm sure there are other newer ones available now. You can pretty much find whatever you need on the Internet. Anyway, enjoy your cruise and I'm sure you'll find something upon your return.

:heart: Alison - I can relate so much to your situation. I was in the same boat 20 years ago with my granddaughter. I enjoyed my visits with her whenever I was allowed and made sure she knew she was loved. At some point, her mother couldn't keep her from me and we have a wonderful relationship today. My daughter was also in an abusive situation (not physical, but mental) for 10 years. We had many discussions about her situation, but the more I tried to make her see that she needed to get away from him, the more she tried to make it work. I finally gave up and accepted them as a couple. My relationship with her became stronger. At the beginning of this year, she made the decision to leave him, and this week she is moving out of the house and to a new area altogether. She now admits that she is so much happier now that she is free from his control, but SHE had to be the one to make that decision. I should have known better, as I was in an abusive situation and stayed in my marriage for 31 years before finally having enough. I hope and pray that things get better for your daughter and granddaughter and that you find peace.

:drinker: Linda - It looks like you are taking control of the situation and making health your priority.

:happy: Kathy - Small changes bring big results over time.

:flowerforyou: jb - Thanks for the inspiring quotes.

:heart: katla - I am keeping your DH in my prayers and hoping for some kind of answers to his health problems.

:ohwell: Laura - Moving IS daunting! Hopefully, once you make the move, it will all be worth it!

:grumble: Kim - I think it's possible to be addicted to ANY food! There are certain foods that I don't keep in the house because having a little only makes me want more.

:drinker: Lin - A BIG congratulations on getting your health issues under control. That is a HUGE accomplishment and I am so proud of you!!!

:flowerforyou: BJ - How wonderful! Two new grandbabies! That IS better than chocolate!

:wink: Cheryl - Welcome back and don't give up! Keep on logging and eventually you'll get back on track.

:drinker: Jackie - You are AWESOME! Your dedication and commitment are in inspiration to me every single day!

:laugh: Barbie- Didn't you know that mice LOVE dog food? They probabaly thought they died and went to heaven with that 40 pound bag of dog food to feast on!

:wink: Meg - WTG girl! All that work is bound to pay off on the scale.....just wait and see!

:heart: Renny - Acceptance and change are hard but we are here for you.

:smile: Jodios - Smart move to divide the leftovers. That's the best way to succeed at portion control.

:heart: Michele - When preparing asparagus, I only snap off a small portion on the bottom of the stalk. When trying to get a message through to your child in a situation that is as intense as yours with Bryan, a sibling is always the best arbiter.

:wink: Viv - The good news is that every day offers an opportunity for a fresh start.

:smile: DeeDee - Small steps will get the job done!

That's all for today. I wish everyone the strength to succeed on this path to better health!

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Weds!

Pushing ourselves harder in the exercise department is certainly not the easiest thing in the world, but the main idea is to move the body regularly, and to push ourselves a little more than ever before. These 50+ bodies are not too old to learn how to move. Many of us spent the better part of our years just living, and not necessarily paying attention to diet and exercise. Somehow when the magic number 50 hits we all try to undo the damage that's been done over the years. I was stubborn and waited until 56 though, until I was stove-up with pain and absolutely had to get some weight off. I still don't profess to be an athlete, not in any way, shape or form. But I do know what it feels like to push myself to walk faster and longer, swinging those arms, huffing and puffing, raising the heart rate and working up a bit of a sweat. It feels good, like I'm finally treating myself right. It's doing it every single day that I find difficult. I get into a great routine for a few weeks then I stop for some reason and fall back into old habits. And that's when I stop losing weight. See, for me I know I simply must move more, and increase the minutes per day that I get my heart rate up. But I'm still more comfortable sitting here writing about it than I am doing it. :blushing:

Lila, good to hear the exercises are helping! :happy: I need to research what exercises will help my shoulder, I have an old injury which has recently started becoming painful. I think it's rotator cuff.

Lin, :drinker: wow, what a great report! Good going, you must feel on top of the world. Yay!

Cheryl oh Cheryl. :bigsmile: You can do this. We often veer from the straight and narrow in life, but guess what, it's still there when we're ready to put one foot in front of the other and walk the tightrope again. Balance, baby, balance. That's what I try to remind myself. Start by making one little step, but like me, be careful not to trip. :wink:

Carol, feeling like a failure happens to me, too. :grumble: I have to pull myself out of it and make myself get back with the plan. Night time is the worst for me, I blow a perfectly good eating day more often than not. Still working on that one!

DeeDee, now you've got me going on cleaning out my closet. :explode: Gee, thanks! :laugh:

Moxie, baby chicks! Awww! I raised chickens years ago, I do miss it.

Laura, getting up early to exercise before work is a good idea, but it's not easy. I promise to do it, then I don't. :ohwell:

Off I go to harvest asparagus in the garden, lucky me! :bigsmile: The bottom part of the fresh-picked spears aren't woody at all. If they are, I peel the outside off and eat the inner part. Planting onions, peas and something else today, but at the moment I forget what. :tongue:

Wishing everyone a great day.

:smile: jb in cloudy, cooler Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheryl: I’ve been missing your posts and the pictures of you and your horse. Welcome back!:bigsmile:

Barbie: We keep our dog food in a plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid in the garage. We haven’t had problems with mice since we put the food into the can. There isn’t a place inside the house where the dog food would fit. :tongue: There were mice droppings under the kitchen stove when we moved in 15 years ago, but we solved that problem by sealing their access. It was a little construction project that DH handled. They like to move into a nice cozy house in the winter. :grumble: It protects them from predators and provides access to foods. Mice in a car is not something I’ve heard about before, but it makes sense that they’d hunt for any shelter possible.:ohwell:

Meg: I’m glad to see you back. Between working double time and editing a book while raising kids, you are probably the busiest woman around. Congratulations on winning your prize at work.:flowerforyou:

Renny: Change is difficult and stressful, even under the best possible circumstances. You can gripe here all you want to blow off steam. :wink: I think some non-food treats are also in order, like a get-away to Victoria, or fishing, or whatever you like best. (I think of Victoria, BC as the “Magic Kingdom.” It is a favorite vacation destination for us.):bigsmile:

Cheryl: Your daughter is a jewel. :flowerforyou: We love Mexican Train. My SIL taught us the game a few years ago, and we went out and bought our own set of dominoes. I feel envious every time you post about it. :tongue: Regarding asparagus, I snap. There always seems to be a little of the good stuff left behind, and I sliced it off to make soup once. It was a lot of work for a little gain, and I haven’t made a habit of it.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: I’m sorry you felt shorted on time with your daughter and even sorrier that she doesn’t want to rock the boat and that Kyle might be violent. I hope I misunderstood that.:huh:

M: I had to deal with my sore knee before I felt I could return to Yoga, and also had some problems finding a time period that didn’t interfere with dinner. I’ve discovered that the more I go to Yoga, the more I miss it when class is canceled or I have a conflict. :happy: Sorry to hear your DH is struggling with midlife issues. Mine had lots of conflict at work that made him miserable. Retiring was his solution, but that was a bumpy process. Hang in there.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: I’ve been missing you. I’m glad you stopped in.:flowerforyou:

Laura: We live in a townhome and like it. :love: Our development is quite small, with a total of 14 homes. It was something I’d never imagined as part of my life, but it has been good for us. We lucked into a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a river view fifteen years ago. You can see it in my ticker; I took that picture last fall. The down side was I had a commute from hell:devil: for several years until I retired. I hope you find someplace you love.:flowerforyou:

I’m taking DH to his acupuncture appointment this morning, and we plan to stop by the bike shop to look at pedals with a heel rest for him. We have another grand day, and I’m starting to wonder if this is turning into a drought. :noway: The weather forecasters haven’t said so yet. We could still get a spring deluge.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose I do qualify as I am a woman and I am over 50...so thank you for the welcoming posts.
    My goal for April is to keep the scale going down for the entire month...how much it goes down is attributed to how much effort I put into helping it go down.
    My biggest concern this month is that I am off on a vacation starting tomorrow for a week in Vegas...lots of walking for sure but meals ugh...I will do my best but still want to have fun....any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
  • luvbuttons
    Options
    Michele re: "Have a question about asparagus. I was watching Emeril once and he was saying how if you snap the asparagus stalk, it will snap at the spot where the woody part begins. My dilemma? I do this, but I always feel like I'm throwing away half of the asparagus stalk. What do others do? One time I steamed the whole asparagus."
    I do exactly what Emeril says - and the Joy of Cooking which is my cooking bible (no offense meant ladies). I know it seems like throwing a lot away, but it's usually not the best part of the asparagus. My sister takes her ends and makes asparagus soup with them as the extra cooking breaks down the woodiness.
    Lila

Thanks, Sasha, for the idea about making asparagus soup with the woody ends of the asparagus. I just bought a bunch today and I'm going to try it tomorrow. I make a yummy cream of mushroom soup using nonfat evaporated milk instead of cream and think I'll add the asparagus ends to it. Can't wait to taste it. Thanks, again.
  • lalbus
    lalbus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bumping for now so I can find later
  • merrymerit
    merrymerit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just came across this site ..I have been trying to lose weight since Feb.. I was doing so well and had lost close to 20 lbs by eating clean - no junk no sugar and so on. But I started eating some candy and bread on Easter sunday and have been struggling since then - the cravings have returned and I can't seem to fight them off. I hope that if I get motivated again I'll be able to get back on the beam... :
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

It’s April, so hard to believe and Ireland is here, one week away and my stomach is doing flips. Nope, not ready! Not ready at all!

The snow is receding enough that I may attempt a walk today to test out the sidewalks. :glasses: Yes, the sun is out! yippee! I was up at 3:30 this morning for an airport run and I feel so out of kilter, even though I came back and got a few more hours sleep. I have decided to just sit down and play catch-up with all you.

March goals…. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Goals:
    - To walk enough in Ireland to wear off the big Irish breakfast (big enough for a family of 4)
    - To walk to work once I return if we are free from snow
    - To begin again, to tackle the second step of my goal, lose another 25lbs.

Welcome all the new ladies, here you will find an amazing group of ladies full of strength, knowledge and support.

Barbie- where would we be without you? Thank you!

Jane in Colorado – unbelievable!! Were they letting students do the reading??

Carol in WNY - thank you

Renny – good for you! Wow! Hey, self-reflection is always good. Yes, politics knocks the stuffing out of you and takes its toll. Politics…. dirty word….. but it sounds like you have it well in hand.

MelsAuntie – iron determination? Yep I’d say that’s about right!! Good for you!

Michele in NC7- Your daughter may be the only one able to get through to her brother! I hope she makes it! I have to ask, what is a Mexican train?

BJ – 2 grand babies, how marvelous!!

moxie1962 – cooking for allergies, that can be a nightmare! Congrats on your progress in dealing with them and keeping it real!

Kathyzoo – it sounds like your DH and mine are brothers! White bread, pop, ice cream….. at least my DS eats a lot healthier.

Grandmallie – Hopefully it won’t take long for you daughter to realize what he is really like, in the meantime, even though it breaks your heart, hug her and tell her you love you and let her go.Sometimes these are life lessons to help make us stronger.

Lucy in Delaware – congrats on your light bulb moment! Wonderful about having all your medical problems resolved!! Fabulous!! Thank you for your honesty about your marriage and your family relationships. We cannot be told to leave an abusive relationship, we dig in, we try harder, we will not fail and we suffer more. Good for you for finally leaving.

Deedee – Hoping you are finally feeling well, its springtime and surely that will be the best cure.

Jb in Portland – love your self-portrait, hehehe and the quote by Amelia Earhart

Kim2walker – hahaha! Increasing waistline, decreasing brain cells!! I hope it works in the reverse too!!

Laura80111 – getting the house ready to move? Good luck! I don’t envy you!

Jackie in Cherry hill – Huge success, congrats on your success and your insight.

Barbie – Mice, aughh! Horrible! We have had too many battles with the wretched things in this house. After the deconstruction of the flood we finally found their entry points and their nesting habitat deep within the walls. That’s all gone now and may I never see another one of the little @#$$%@.

Meg- busy, busy, busy! You are one amazing woman! Congrats on winning the prize! I had to laugh at finding 12 of everything, that is my DH! Can never find stuff so buy it again!

Suebdew – have a wonderful cruise!

Jodios528 – those networking breakfasts can be a trap! I had too many ‘special meetings meals’ in my management days. Good for you for taking it home! I usually ate out of frustration, boredom or anger, (a lot of self-important, long-winded people).

LucyT4dieting – congrats on your basement! I was so hoping to be finished too but my DH has suffered a rotator cuff injury and it is not looking good for the moment. He is to give it a rest for a month. I was so hoping to have our basement done by the 2 year anniversary of the flood and before our houseguests arrive on July 1st! But I also don’t want him in pain just to finish it either!

By golly, I think I've done it! Caught up? Sorta', mostly... maybe...

Congratulations on your successes, prayers for those in trial.

Enjoy your day, choose happiness, love yourself,

Kate in sunny:glasses: Alberta
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ladies,
    Well she came back to work and all the happy progess I had made vanished in an instant. And to make things worse whenI got home I ended up having an attack of hives. I have no idea what caused them. DH thinks it might be stressed. Fortunately I had some Benadryl at home so they went away. I was soooo itchy.

Take care all

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.

PNW
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--so I can participate in the future.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The month of April is like a new beginning for me. This year, the month of April begins on a Monday, a day when I start something new or restart something that I didn't do right the previous week or month. It is the month when I can begin to warm up and prepare my mind and my body for the coming summer. Personally, I do not want to start another summer looking fat. I want to be able to enjoy this summer with my arms a little sleeker and a little stronger. I also want to be able to enjoy playing at least one sport that I enjoy. In order to do that, I have to prepare my body. So this month, April 2013, my resolutions for the month are a listed below: :smile: :happy: :smooched:

:heart: :heart: Lose 15 pounds

:heart: :heart: Begin working on my biceps and triceps

:heart: :heart: Take an omega 3 supplement

:heart: :heart: Finally go to that Zumba class that I have been contemplating about:heart:

:heart: :heart: Eat more whole and clean foods for my skin and hair

:heart: :heart: Begin taking Biotin and a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins

:heart: :heart: Up my water intake from 8 glasses a day to 10 glasses a day

:heart: :heart: Drink a green shake at least 4 days a week

:heart: :heart: Seriously think about what I put in my mouth and mind.

AND ON A PERSONAL NOTE:

:glasses: :glasses: Finish my play that I have been writing for the last year (at least get close to finishing it):smile:

:glasses: :glasses: Start on being more involved with my finances :ohwell:

:glasses: :glasses: Reach out to more people who are not in my circle:blushing:

:glasses: :glasses: Continue volunteering with the food bank :bigsmile:

I will look at these resolutions each week to see if I am on track. One thing that I won't do is beat myself up if I don't complete each one like I want. I know that some will say that the weight loss goal is a little high because my friends and family have told me so. But I know that when I eat right, and work out hard, I am able to make it happen since I did it before recently.

Here's wishing everyone here success on reaching your goals.
  • BetsieP
    BetsieP Posts: 1
    Options
    New here. Have been using my MFP app on my phone infrequently. Motivation is difficult to maintain. Was doing fairly well a while back and lost 11 lbs. My sister's illness took a turn for the worst and the last year was hard. She died 10 weeks ago and I still can't believe she is gone. I miss her so. I was with her through her passing on to the next life. I know it's time to start taking care of myself but I've closed myself off from the world for so long that I'm struggling to get back connected. I hope that I use this forum for inspiration to carry on and live life as happy as I can. Living in NH, it's still cold and spring is having a hard time making an appearance. Thanks for letting me share.
  • JanetteMontana
    JanetteMontana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! It's nice to find you.
  • explorer6344
    explorer6344 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone thanks for letting new comers join first time I have ever posted been on MFP for a year.
  • sandraschimank
    Options
    BUMP
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hello again everyone - It's fantastic to hear about all the good results that have been happening - a real inspiration! Thanks for sharing! Also, for those who are struggling - this is the place to share and be supported hands across the oceans!

In the last week of term I had one of my colleagues seek me out - she said it was because I always manage to put a positive spin on events and find the good in people! When I looked back on my goals for March one was to be positive and laugh! I didn't realise I had actually done this that much - but I must have been for her to say that - I was amazed!

So - goals for April:
    Continue to eat as healthily as possible and log it all everyday - eat the rainbow - not beige!
    Drink the 8 glasses of water suggested
    Walk 60 miles with the dogs (2 a day on average)
    Continue with C25K (Race for Life in July!)
    Continue with Zumba dvd (try to do the full 50 mins by the end of the month (at 30 mins max at moment!))
    Continue to be positive and laugh (it's obviously making a difference at work!)
    Continue with my jumper (knitting)
    Complete the crocheted shrug for my sister

That'll do for now!

wishing everyone a happy April! MA in UK