WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon! It's a beautiful day in Dallas - no foolin' (bump)
  • Kowent
    Kowent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Wanted to join.
    Will post later.
    Thanks
  • luvbuttons
    Options
    Happy April 1. Dutch iris are blooming. Bump.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I missed the last few pages of the March thread, but given I’m short on time will just try and get through the 3 new pages already on the April thread – we really must be a chatty group.:wink:
    I’m pretty happy that I maintained my weight over vacation. While we definitely torched calories with our long hikes, we also ate well. Staying flat was a relief. Now I’m back to my losing mode.:smile:

I found my March goals:
    :smile: Keep working out hard
    :smile: don't be so hard on myself if the scale isn't moving - just stick with the program..at some point the numbers are bound to start moving down ( they did go down so this approach is working YEAH)
    :smile: give myself kudos for the changes I'm seeing in my body - I am becoming a healthier me
    :smile: keep track of everything I'm eating and complete my diary everyday
    :smile: drink more water and green tea
    New for March:
    :smile: work on getting jewelry making business off the ground: post items on Etsy and make at least 1 new piece a week.

I did pretty well on them – including not being so hard on myself. I’m even doing better on drinking water (I think the AZ desert helped there), but I can still improve on that. I completely missed on the jewelry making front and am not going to put it in April because we have been so busy cleaning out my parent’s condo in preparation for the closing later this month, I know I won’t have any free time for creative pursuits.

So my April goals will be:
    :smile: Try and break the 120 lb barrier I vowed never to pass but obviously did
    :smile: Be positive about the healthy changes I’m making and don’t get too down if the scale is not moving as long as I’m making NSV
    :smile: Log everything everyday
    :smile: Drink more water and green tea

Barbie – to echo everyone else – thank you for keeping this thread going. You are such an inspiration and I always look forward to reading your posts:flowerforyou:

Trace1957 – welcome. This group will not only motivate you but also buoy you up when you get down so you keep on track. I’ve switched to dark chocolate. I frequently have a square of salted dark chocolate after dinner for that hit of sweet for only 45 calories.:bigsmile:

Grandmallie – so glad you are enjoying the time with your DGD:happy:

Dee Dee – you are one of the hardest workers I’ve seen on this thread. I’m confident once you are healthy and able to train again the scale will move. Sending you healing thoughts on a quick return to feeling 100%:flowerforyou:

Robin – glad it will be another lower stress day:drinker:

Soskinnydenis – welcome. You’ve joined a great group. I like Cooking Light and I know some others have some on-line sites for lower cal meals they’ll post for you soon.

Havingitall – welcome!

Katia – you were my first prank of the day – April Fools back at you…but wouldn’t it be glorious if we all woke up at our goal weights!:blushing:

Brooke – you had a great March on the scale and hitting most of your goals – very impressed! I hadn’t seen this poem. So basically I have to lose an Ostrich egg to get to my goal (although I’m thinking after seeing my vacation pictures I might need to lose human skin – yuck:grumble:

M – glad to hear your back is better. I’m also a big kick boxing fan. I think now that will be my lunch time workout.:bigsmile:

Liz – welcome. You are now part of this group. Just come back often and post

Eileen – sorry to hear about your mom. My prayers go out to you both:brokenheart:

Sa993 – welcome. You’ve made so much progress – good for you:drinker:

Jane – please keep us posted - I’m hoping you find someplace good:heart:

Jb – love the poem. Is that a face made of veggies?:smile:

Jane in Colorado – I’m so sorry about your dad’s health issue. It’s awful that the VA didn’t let you know. We had the same problem with my MIL and her lung cancer. Good that you are on it now. Hope he is strong enough for surgery

Cdiele, Lind140, kowent and 5888acv – welcome. What are your first names?

Lila – so jealous – we are only supposed to get up to 39 today. I need so badly to get into my garden but it’s just been too cold. So glad you are enjoying to warmth and sunshine:glasses:

Renny – great weight loss and goals. Keep us posted on the cholesterol:happy:

Cheryl – are you out there?:huh:

Well have taken too much time. Need to go kick box off some calories and have lunch. Have a wonderful day! Jodios:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I didn't set any goals for March, but I didn't do too well at staying the course either:grumble: :angry: . I don't feel well and have been using it as an excuse not to go to the gym. WEll, THAT STOPS TODAY!! My joints may be hurting, but I'm going just the same:huh: .

My goals for April:
    Work out 4 times a week.
    Log my meals everyday.
    Stop making excuses not to stick to the plan!!

Hope everyone had a great Easter. Have a wonderful day.:happy:
    Jolene
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

This is no joke DH had to shovel snow off the sidewalk this am. when are we ever getting Spring.We had a lovely Family dinner, later sat talking about fitness and weight, when my DGS got up started running around singing "Grama you have to move it move it, to lose it lose it." With that little ditty stuck in my head I'll make it my goal for April. This mornings weigh in I'm down 1 lb. Little guy might be on to something!!!

Have a great day, JP from Sudbury Ontario
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    <<<runs real fast to keep up with the thread<<<<< :bigsmile:
    Ya'll are chatty!!

April goals;
    Try to lose some more poundage.....
    Eat more salads....
    Keep up with the thread...
    Find a way to increase my exercise.....
  • c0c0nn0r
    c0c0nn0r Posts: 70
    Options
    I haven't posted in quite some time ... had a lot going on at work and then I went to NC to visit DD#1, DSIL and my 4 DGDS.
    My DD bakes fresh breads, rolls, etc. and desserts everyday and I didn't take my Fitbit or log in so I gained and am at 206 today.
    Needless to say I need to get back to the gym ASAP and start logging again.

Barbie - thanks for all you do:happy:

JP - loved the poem!

Sundance - thanks for getting me back on track, I really appreciate it

My goals for April are:
    1. Start logging everything, everyday
    2. Get back to the gym and walk at least 5 times a week
    3. Add more veggies and less red meat to my meals
    4. Seriously work on getting to my goal weight or close to it before September

Colleen, Illinois
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    HI ladies:
    :wink: I'm having a great time in Abu Dhabi with my grand daughter. Love to hold and play with that little girl. Just wanted to check in and say HI to everyone. Happy April fools day and Good luck to everyone on the April goals.We are off toe Dubai for the day tomorrow.
    Phyllis on holiday! :flowerforyou:
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Will attempt to follow this thread. Got a positive report from my cardiologist last week and was highly encouraged to get the weight OFF! Over 50 is no problem, my issue has been a struggle with overwhelming fatigue. Thyroid meds now adjusted, working on Vit D levels that are not theraputic...but I am going to do my best to start a walking program this month. Logging food has been a hit or miss with me the last few months.
    For April I will:
    Walk 30 minutes 6 days a week at a minimum.
    Log my food intake daily
    Decrease red meat/ pork intake to one day a week
    Drink my daily intake of WATER, cut out diet soda entirely, allowing herdal teas
    I will wiegh myself only on Sundays

I have to begin somewhere and I think that ones step at a time will help me win the race
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy April to all!

I'll be back with my goals, but I wanted to share with you that I learned something about myself over the weekend, which goes to show that even an old gal can learn something new! I have yo-yo dieted my entire life. I have always been able to lose the weight, but never able to keep it off. As soon as I went overboard after I reached my goal weight, I felt guilty and depressed and gave up. I said to myself that it was all or nothing and once I cheated it was over and I couldn't go back. I don't know why I felt this way, but I really believed it was true. Even after joining MFP I felt guilty when I went on vacation and gained 4 pounds (3 of which came off in a few days time). Logging is making it easier to keep track, so I may not have known in the past that vacation weight is mostly water and comes off easily. Anyway, I have slowly changed the way I feel about this issue. I'm not sure when it happened. I knew I wasn't going to be within my calorie goal yesterday and I wasn't (by far). I ate many wonderful appetizers, drank 3 glasses of wine, sampled everything at dinner and tasted all the desserts. I didn't even bother to log as I would have no idea where to start. And guess what? This morning I woke up, got my butt on the TM, and did my normal 2 miles. I packed my normal breakfast and lunch for work and went right back to logging. And I didn't feel one bit guilty about yesterday! I know this sounds like it's no big deal, but it is really a different feeling for me! It feels like a super NSV, and most importantly, I know I can continue to live like this for the rest of my life. My whole attitude on dieting has changed. This is no longer a diet. It has finally become a lifestyle! I can't even explain the freedom I feel. The only thing different this time is consistently logging onto this website and reading this thread whenever I can. It has made all the difference. And I want to thank all of you who share in this fight for your support. And I promise to be here to support all of you. Whoo Hoo!! April is gonna be GOOD!!!!

:flowerforyou: Renny - Congrats on the mammogram results! It feels great to get a clean bill of health!

:grumble: Laura - Increasing calories doesn't work for me either. I think it's probably trial and error to find out what works for each individual.

:wink: Jodios - What a wonderful way to spend a vacation AND burn some serious calories at the same time!

:heart: Barbie - I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work you do to keep this thread going. It is growing every day because of your dedication. You are awesome!

:explode: BJ - My tulips are starting to sprout, but the cold weather has kept me from preparing the garden and now you can hardly see the tulips for all of the clover. Why is it that no matter what the weather, the weeds always come in healthy and strong?

:smile: Lisa - Roasted and grilled vegetables are delicious and you can experiment with what herbs work best for your taste.

:drinker: Brooke - WTG on reaching your weight loss goals for March!

:laugh: Katla - Loved your take on religious holidays!

:tongue: M - Please be careful when painting such a descriptive picture of desserts on this website! That cheesecake sounds amazing!

:flowerforyou: Robin - It sounds like you may be on the road to recovery. It's always fun to plan a vacation.

:ohwell: Gail - Only one lady in church on Easter was dressed in an "Easter outfit" complete with hat. I miss those days when everyone dressed for Christmas and Easter.

:heart: Judith - Best wishes for a successful surgery.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee - Here's hoping that April will be much better than March for you!

:heart: Eileen - My prayers are going out for your mother.

:heart: Jane in CO. - That's just awful news about your father. Hopefully, someone will take responsibility for this major mistake and take steps to correct the situation. My prayers are with you and your father during this difficult time. I hope he is strong enough for the surgery.

We seem to have many newcomers, so welcome and keep coming back!!!:drinker:

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Barbie Sending you Mountains of Thank you’s for keeping this thread going. It has become like a favorite pair of pink fuzzy slippers, you just can’t wait to get to it. I am so thankful for you and this “Sisterhood of new friends” :heart: you all
    My goals for March 2013
    Help and encourage others daily ………..100%
    Figure out this posting /blogging thing (Newbie here) …………90%
    Take time to read the posts - instead of kicking daisies over in left field ………. 100% tho it’s a challenge somedays.
    Log my food daily and stay under calorie goal …………. 100% on the logging not as good with the calories.
    Eat more raw foods and Smoothies ………… I did ok I guess
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day ……. 99%
    Do at least 30 Minutes walking 3 days a week …. Need s much Improvement!

Aprils goals will be the same for me. Here's hoping we all reach our April goals:drinker:

Moxie - Have you ever tried Coconut or Safflower oils? :smile:
    Michele in NC - Oh my, 3 ½ hours! I do agree with your comment about living in this country.
    My ancestors came here from Italy and they all learned to speak English. Italian was only spoken in the home, and that was just the way it was.:ohwell:
    Kate in Alberta - Your Easter sounds wonderful and you described it all like a page turner book. I found myself just wanting to read more! How very lovely!:bigsmile:
    DeeDee - May April be a much better month for you!:flowerforyou:
    Jo UK Wales - I wish I could help you with posting the picture, but I honestly have no idea:embarassed:
    Meyllisa - I so want to taste your profile picture! Not sure what it is but it sure looks Yummy!!!:drinker:
    BJ- I am stuck in SPRINTER also! Crazy weather!:sad:
    Soskinnydenis- Welcome, You will love this “Sisterhood of great girls” If you are looking for support and encouragement you will find it here. Feel free to friend me. If you haven’t heard of it… www.skinnytaste.com I love Gina’s recipes!:heart:
    Havingitall - A big warm welcome to you also! I have found that I tend to think twice about what I stuff in my face because I don’t want to let the girls down. I always track everything even the bad stuff, but somehow being a part of this wonderful group keeps me pretty much in check. I have also noticed that the cleaner I eat the less that ol’ sugar demon attacks me. Fruit has become my sugar tamer and it really works! Tho I do allow my self a little treat now and then:wink:
    Katla- hahahaha! You got me! My cheeks hurt from laughing so hard! :laugh:
    Brooke- You are awesome! Congrats to you on your March achievements! WTG! I love the post of what stuff weighs, I have never seen it before, Thank you for sharing it!:happy:
    Liz- Sending a warm welcome to you. This is a wonderful group, you will love it! Feel free to add me if you like.:smile:
    Eileen- Many thoughts and prayers to you and both of your parents.:heart:
    Sa993- Welcome to the group, you will love it! Feel free to friend me.:smile:
    Jane- Keep the faith that things will all work out! ((HUGS)) back at you!:smile:
    Dotty- Welcome to the group and you are welcome to add me.:smile:
    Deborah- I need to buckle down too! Holding virtual hands!:bigsmile:
    Jb in Portland - love the little poem!:smile:
    Jane in Colorado- I wish I had words for you, my heart breaks just reading your post about your Father. Prayers being sent for you and your family.:flowerforyou:
    Struggeling- Welcome to the group you will find it so helpful. Feel free to add me.:smile:
    Cdiele- Welcome to you also, and add me if you like!:smile:
    Renny- I hope I do better with your wonderful challenge this month!:bigsmile:
    Lind140 - Welcome to you also, feel free to friend me:smile:

Muddling through this new season called Sprinter:ohwell:
    Carol in WNY
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cooky- I used to use Safflower oil all the time, but I can't find it here in SC.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi wonderful ladies!

Wonderful to hear about your successes and new goals!

Thank you for posting my pics - I have digested advice and hope to to better next time!

March goals:-
    1 attempt Jillian Michaels 30 day shred Level 1
    2 Continue to make Healthy scrummy low fat meals
    3 maintain weight and have fun!

Great on all three!

Gradually increasing fitness with shred/ made at least 6 new recipes a week/ maintained my goal weight

So April goals will be the same, except I am going to attempt to get 3 lbs below goal weight to give me a bit of leeway for HRT.

For HRT read Holiday Replacement Therapy. I always put on weight for holidays/ weekends away - and have a few planned.

Have to go now as I have a visitor - my daughters DFIL - who has been visiting for the long Easter Bank holiday.

Keep smiling
    Jo. UK. Wales
  • kim2walker
    kim2walker Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

I am Kim, a new member, just a week now and I am really loving this site. I appreciate the chance to join a group of similar minded folk (50+) to help keep up my motivation to lose about 80lb. I have no idea long long that is going to take but I expect a long time.

My goals for April are.

To log all I eat every day.
    to drink enough water ( I find this very difficult at the moment)
    To complete the 30 day shred
    to walk every day it is fine weather.

I look forward to getting to know you all a little better over the next few weeks.
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello ladies, I am back AGAIN. I have had a rough year with the passing of mom (MIL) whom I miss so much and with my husband almost dying from Pancreatitis and a stroke in his spleen. Life has been a challenge and I am ready to start all over again with this dieting journey. Last year I lost 28lbs and due to the lack of exercise and mood eating I have gained 18lbs back.
    Today is the first day of the new journey and I look forward to reconnecting to old friends and meeting new ones.
    My goals for April:
    :flowerforyou: 1. Walk every day at lunch
    :blushing: 2. Stay away from the buffets
    :love: 3. Eat more fruits and vegetables
    :smooched: 5. Exercise at least 30 min a day
    :flowerforyou: 6. lose 8 lbs
    :drinker: 7. drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OK....I had to go back and get my March goals. They were:

GOALS FOR MARCH…..

1. Do not sweat the small stuff!
    2. Be honest & consistent with logging my foods
    3. More strength exercises & varying routines
    4. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
    5. Find one thing each day to be grateful for

I actually did pretty good with these March goals. I have worked hard not to worry about every little thing (this has been a problem for me in the past) and I've been feeling much calmer.
    I have honestly logged most days and when I haven't it was by choice.
    I have a DVD with 5 20 minute strength routines which I have been rotating and doing a different one twice weekly. Sometimes I do two in one day.
    I have met and surpassed my water intake. This is the biggest success as I feel like it has made a big difference.
    During the season of Lent I have actively decided to be grateful for one thing each day, and I haven't had a hard time finding things to be grateful for.

GOALS FOR APRIL....

1. Continue to work on not sweating the small stuff
    2. Continue to consistently and honestly log my food and exercise
    3. Add some extra circuit routines
    4. Continue to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
    5. Try and add extra steps to my day every day
    6. Lower my sodium intake (this is a big problem for me)

Well, there it is.....in writing. Now I can't weasel my way out of it. Extra exercise, steps and lower sodium. I'm gonna DO THIS!

Lucy in Delaware
  • Kathy647
    Kathy647 Posts: 5
    Options
    bump
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to join you all. I am going to try not to eat off the counter. Mindless eating when i get stressed.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd just typed in a really well-thought out post and then I went and lost it all by hitting the wrong key!

I'll just say hello - welcome to April - and I'll return here tomorrow and try again! It's getting late!