WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Amen! Thank you Barbie:love: for your commitment to starting us every month. Hope some of that commitment will rub off on me.
    :noway: Haven't been reading, logging or doing mat work but have incorporated way more veggies into the daily routing (Thanks Renny and SMVQ!).
    :huh: Going back to January goals, the only way I'll make them is to figure out how to log food and scan posts on my smart phone.
    :sick: Felt like crap yesterday, blame it on the very late night dinner with ale:drinker: Saturday. Was much more moderate Sunday, only 1 glass of wine, dinner at 5. Best sleep in memory! Joe thinks it was because we're finally able to leave the window open at night, (yes, Liz, Spring HAS come to SW Idaho!). I think it was the early dinner and moderate hooch intake.:embarassed: Whatever it was, I'll take it!:laugh:
    :heart: Even got to walk with Joe and the pooches, this morning. Now it IS time for mat work. :tongue:
    :smooched: Thanks forever to Pam, LindaB and Renny for not giving up on me and to :flowerforyou: Barbie:flowerforyou: for never never never giving up at all!
    Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD of the healthier waist in 2013.

2013: Focus on the important stuff
    April: Log, move and listen Every Day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dee yesterday was a good day too. I was really sore from working so hard the day before so I didn't do quite as much but it was good. Now I just need to keeep the momentum going.

The Boss is not here again so it should be a low stress day.

Happy April Fool's Day to you all I hope no one gets pranked.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    from the PNW
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi ladies

Not sure if this is going to work as this is my first attempt to post a picture. This happen to me when I used my Wi Fit today. Not my picture but credit to the person who posted on the Internet

image_zps500e8e3a.jpg

It really made me smile!

Jo
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Ok - what have I done wrong? Lol
  • wellwithyou
    wellwithyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies Over 50!
    I am so glad to find this group. Today I am starting my plan. Although i am not new to fitness pal the encouragement is very welcome. My goal is to lose 30 lbs. My calories per day are 1200 so any recipes or advice from others would be much appreciated.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread today. I am 51 years old so I guess I qualify. In 2009 I lost 87 lbs and have slowly let 50 of those creep back on. I make resolutions and promises to myself and then I mess up in some way.

Hopefully, keeping accountable to people who have some of the same age related challenges might help.

My resolution for April is to go to the gym at least 20 times this month....including 8 boxing classes. I would also like to cut out evening snacking and replace it with a cup of herbal tea. Finally, I would like to get rid of the sugar demon that haunts me.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight over night! April fools!:bigsmile:

I share in the gratitude expressed by others. Thank you, Barbie, for keeping this thread going. :flowerforyou: It has meant so much to me and provided more moral support and practical advice for this journey than I ever could have imagined. I cherish the friends I've made here, and I wouldn't have been possible without you.:heart::flowerforyou:

I have very few set goals, and they remain unchanged. 1. Log every bite. I do and it works. I'm managing to stay within my calorie goals almost all the time, even with the occasional splurge. I just pay for the splurges with extra time on the recumbent bike. DH seems to think it is doing good things for my backside. :blushing: 2. Move more. On average, I've been getting my exercise and feeling great. I do have to admit to off days now and then, and some aches and pains when I wake up in the mornings. Stretching and movement seems to handle them well.

Enjoy the day. If it isn't perfect, dwell on the good stuff.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Below calorie goal 30 of 31 days in March
    Pounds lost = 7.2

MARCH GOALS:
    30 Day Shred (scared but gonna give it my best starting today) No – injured on day 2
    60 miles (want to do more, but also want to be realistic) Yes – did 68.75 miles
    Daily exercise of some kind - No exercised 25 of 31 days
    Strength training every other day - Yes
    Logging every day - Yes
    8 fruits/veggies daily – Yes (8 or more all but 1 day, when I did 5)
    No less than 8 glasses of water each day - Yes

exercise.png

Brooke from Colorado

I know this has been posted many times but I like to look at it every once in a while :wink:

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
    2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
    3 pounds = an average human brain
    4 pounds = an ostrich egg
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    6 pounds = a human skin
    7.5 pounds = an average newborn
    8 pounds = a human head
    10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
    11 pounds = an average housecat
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
    16 pounds = a sperm whale's brain
    20 pounds = an automobile tire
    23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
    24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super-premium ice cream
    25 pounds = an average 2 year old
    30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
    33 pounds = a cinder block
    36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
    40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
    44 pounds = an elephants heart
    50 pounds = a small bale of hay
    55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
    60 pounds = an elephants penis
    66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
    70 pounds = an Irish Setter
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    80 pounds = the Worlds Largest Ball of Tape
    90 pounds = a newborn calf
    100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
    111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
    117 pounds = an average fashion model (and shes 5'11")
    118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
    120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
    130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
    138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
    140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
    144 pounds = an average adult woman (and shes 5'4½")
    150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
    187 pounds = an average adult man
    200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
    235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
    300 pounds = an average football lineman
    400 pounds = a Welsh pony
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Happy April everyone!

Barbie, thanks again for starting the new thread. I love Pooh – and Piglet.

I won’t even go over my goals for March – I barely registered any of them. I didn’t log every day since I was out of town for half of the month, and I think I lost about two pounds at the most. I continued to work out when I could, but I slacked a little there too. However, it’s spring, and I have a ton of work I can’t slack on, so here’s the new goals:

--Get reinvigorated on the workouts – six days a week
    --Start walking again – shoot for at least five days a week weather permitting
    --Yardwork! Get at least an hour of week pulling and pruning in each day, weather permitting
    --Clean up my interior too – clean eating, clean living environment
    --Be outdoors and feel the spring as much as possible

I’m feeling much better today – back is less sore, managed to do an entire workout this morning, and it felt good. I’m excited to start working in my garden, and the weather is feeling nice outside right now despite the rain we had yesterday.

We had a lovely Easter at my sister’s – terrific food, not terrible eating but in the end I felt uncomfortable – probably too much at one time. I did wind up eating more than a couple of bites of the cheesecake – it was pretty delicious if I do say so myself. However, as I said it was lightened and a small slice. Just more than I eat these days. Got to skype with DD and DGD, spoke to my mom, who is doing pretty well, and just had a nice day. Got some bad news about my dad and his wife, but it’s news we have to work through as the news becomes confirmed. One day at a time around here right now.

Majawilltry, I don’t see working in the yard as at cross-purposes with working out. Yes, you could consider working in the yard as working out, but I set a schedule that places exercise at a priority, so each morning first thing I do is throw on the workout gear and go workout. Then, if I’m working in the yard later, yay! I didn’t take any time away from the yard by exercising – that’s my priority. I make it so.

Judith, I hope the surgery goes well for you. Maybe the surgeon can recommend some activity you can do while you’re recovering, but if not listen to your surgeon. You don’t want to hamper your recovery by trying to do too much too soon. Just be mindful of your portions for now – and you may not feel like eating much at first anyway. Good luck!

DeeDee, there’s a thread on the board for the TDEE people – it has some interesting and useful info, including a metabolism reset tool. Honestly I would try to add in maybe 100 calories at a time until you see the scale start to move. I would also make sure you are getting plenty of exercise because metabolisms seem to like to stay where they are or even slower as we age unless we’re really working to make our bodies move. My $.02 :smile:.

Havingitall, welcome and I hope you find good motivation and support here. One thing I can tell you – boxing is a blast! I’ve been kickboxing since the start of the year and look better than ever and feel wonderful and most of all look forward to the workout. I love it! On sugar: that’s one of those addictions you have to quit cold turkey. You don’t have to go all Atkins, but you can follow his program for two weeks to break the carb habit. If you don’t eat meat (I don’t) it’s a little trickier, but you can still follow the program, allowing for more carbs in the form of beans. Basically you cut out all sugars and fruits and refined carbs for the two weeks, then start bringing them in (fruit and whole grains only) slowly. It really helps break that sugar addiction – then just stay away from it! I simply stopped buying white anything – flour, sugar, rice – and only keep wholesome foods in the house these days. I even threw out all of the potato chips my husband had stocked up on when I was out of town for two weeks this month lol. Good luck!

Robin, I take it you’re sore from working out? Yay! It’s a great kind of soreness and will ease up over time. It will also help a lot in getting the serotonins going and easing up any depression. It sounds like your April is starting off on a much better foot.

OK, I’m off to work. I hope everyone has a lovely day and enjoys the spring that is finally here!

Cheers,

M.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    Bump. I love reading this post! :bigsmile:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I have been checking in and I would very much like to be a part of this group.
    For April.. I am hoping that I take my losing lbs more seriously. ..I came into it thinking it wouldn't be that hard to lose lbs... but I woke up quickly to reality..:embarassed:.. .only to find... that at my age the weight sticks like glue.:sad: .and it takes determination and work to lose it....so I would love to have the wonderful support of the ladies in this group.....April... I am hoping to do more of my Leslie Sansone Walking exercises...sometimes it is impossible to get my body to do them when my Fibro and OA kick in high gear....and to also... try and stay away from the sweets..

I hope you are all having a wonderful day :flowerforyou:
    Liz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Not sure if this is going to work as this is my first attempt to post a picture. This happen to me when I used my Wi Fit today. Not my picture but credit to the person who posted on the Internet

image_zps500e8e3a.jpg

It really made me smile!

Jo

Let's see if this works. I've been seeing that the IMG needs to be lower case.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bumpity Bump....TWO pages already:noway:

Laura80111 in Coloraod:smile:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi again, And again I have just been lurking and reading every day but not posting.

But I am on vacation this week so I have a little time.
    I have been doing okay with the logging and pretty well with the eating, I think I am at or close to my goal, but I haven't decided what that is yet. I know one thing, I need to get the body fat percentage down to go along with the weight. So that will be my April goal...to work on strength training while keeping the weight off.

Over the weekend, I worked with some other ladies on running the Easter breakfast at church. That involved a lot of steps with setting up, serving, cleaning up, etc. I like doing it because I don't eat as much if I'm helping. And of course, serving others is always a good thing.

Wednesday, I will fly to Milwaukee to visit my mom and dad. Mom was in the hospital a few weeks ago (Thanks for all your prayers) and is not doing well. Fluid builds up in her body because her kidneys are not working well anymore. Her heart may not be able to take much more. Both of my parents are nearing 89. I am fortunate to have both of my parents still living.

Time to get at some bill paying, cleaning, washing, etc so that when I come back I can rest a day and go back to school.

Have a lovely April.
    Eileen near San Diego
  • sa993
    sa993 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just found this thread this morning. I turned 50 this year, and I would like to join in order to gain and share support and encouragement with women my age.
    About me: I am married, work full time, have a long commute (2 hours each way), thus far I have lost 60 pounds but gained 2 back recently for a total loss of 58 pounds (my total includes before MFP and since MFP. ).

I have been with MFP since October 2012. , and since December 2012, I have lost 17 inches (Bust, Waist, Low Waist, Hips, thighs, Arms, Calves. I am shocked and happy with the inches lost, and I encourage anyone who, like me, is seeing slow movement on the scale to take your measurements.

It is hard for me to lose pounds now, and I know age, hormones, stress, all play a part, so I really appreciate the motivation and support from my MFP friends.

My April goals are to make a written and exercise plan every week, and to prepare my lunches ahead of time (no more morning prep).
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy April 1st.
    Thanks Barbie for starting this wonderful thread and keeping it going.
    I only have access to computer when I`m at my son`s.Friend decided we didn`t need the internet.
    Still havent figured out what went wrong.We stuck to our agreement. Things were going good.
    Its in God`s hands. Praying we can find very affordable place on hubby`s minimum wage.
    Glad to catch up with all.
    Welcome any new members.
    HUGS:heart::flowerforyou:
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump would love to join
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this again, Barbie!

March showed me up about 4 lbs (possible too much stress??). Time to buckle down and start making a decent dent going forward. I need to starting logging (and sticking to it) EVERY day!!!

Deborah :flowerforyou:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ahh, it's April! Thanks Barbie for keeping the thread going.

Had a busy weekend of gardening in the nice, warm sunshine, my hands are sore but my heart is glad. Back to work today, and yes, it's turned cloudy. I must be careful this month and not forget to do my stretching, strength training and aerobics. Garden season gobbles up my time. I just love it. :)

Be good, be strong, be gentle, be kind,
    When naughty foods tempt you, pay them no mind!
    We're better off without them, we all know it's true,
    I plan to not be a big April Fool! :tongue:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • ambootcamp
    ambootcamp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Been on MFP about a month and love the support. The logging is keeping me on my best behavior and I am keeping track of every calorie. For April, I just want to keep doing what I am doing - and not give into the Easter candy that is sitting on my kitchen table :) I love chocolate and won't give it up entirely, but my goal is to keep it at 150 cals a day....that should satisfy me and make this doable :)