Does anyone have any tips or advice on EATING CLEAN???

Options

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do it by planning my week out in advance – that gives me the time to soak and cook beans/legumes if I need to, chop and store veggies, prep more complicated recipes then divide them up for meals. I eat a lot of the same things I used to eat but not out of a box. For instance, if I am craving rice-a-roni I will make it from scratch using organic wild rice, whole wheat vermicelli and homemade veggie stock (which I make then just keep in the freezer for easy access). Tastes better than the stuff in the box and it contains no MSG or other freakiness. Planning it out keeps the costs down, the macro and micro-nutrients up and makes for some really delicious meals.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Alright tighten up the categories of 'clean' and 'unclean' for me. Show the properties of an item that it must/must not possess to be included in these categories. Then show me how these properties are intrinsically bad/good for me.

Then you will have shown your reasoning to me. Perhaps you will help me to 'make sense' of it....

As others have pointed out, humans have been making preserves, pickles, Chutneys, smoked meats, cured meats, cheeses, curds, etc, etc...... these are all processes carried out on raw materials. These foods are all 'processed' in some manner to allow them to be stored for lean times and cold seasons.

If your food colourant or preservative in a pre-packaged item is derrived from a beetle's shell or rainforrest plant is it more 'natural' and acceptable than then same substance made in a lab which has the same chemical composition?

I think you'll find my reasoning skills capable of picking apart nebulous and foggy concepts, thank you very much.......

If you and I ever end up trapped together on a desert island with 100 cases of kraft dinner and an unlimited supply of fresh meats, fruits and vegetables, you can have my share of the kraft dinner and we'll see in a year who has what vitamin and mineral deficiencies and who still has all their teeth.....
    :flowerforyou:

Does the Kraft dinner selection have the same amounts of macros/micros/calories as the food supply you're eating? If it does, then you will/will not suffer the same deficiencies as me. If not then it's not really a comparison.....

Exactly. Youve just made my point. Its pretty hard to find processed boxed foods that mave nearly the same macros/micros/calories than good wholesome real food does :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Alright tighten up the categories of 'clean' and 'unclean' for me. Show the properties of an item that it must/must not possess to be included in these categories. Then show me how these properties are intrinsically bad/good for me.

Then you will have shown your reasoning to me. Perhaps you will help me to 'make sense' of it....

As others have pointed out, humans have been making preserves, pickles, Chutneys, smoked meats, cured meats, cheeses, curds, etc, etc...... these are all processes carried out on raw materials. These foods are all 'processed' in some manner to allow them to be stored for lean times and cold seasons.

If your food colourant or preservative in a pre-packaged item is derrived from a beetle's shell or rainforrest plant is it more 'natural' and acceptable than then same substance made in a lab which has the same chemical composition?

I think you'll find my reasoning skills capable of picking apart nebulous and foggy concepts, thank you very much.......

If you and I ever end up trapped together on a desert island with 100 cases of kraft dinner and an unlimited supply of fresh meats, fruits and vegetables, you can have my share of the kraft dinner and we'll see in a year who has what vitamin and mineral deficiencies and who still has all their teeth.....

Nope. You gave the choice of one food versus a variety of food. Your analogy doesn't work.

If you gave me the option of only lean meat vs. only mac and cheese, I'd choose the mac and cheese and live longer than you.

cept for the lean part, give me fatty bloody grass fed steaks and you're on ;)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Nope. You gave the choice of one food versus a variety of food. Your analogy doesn't work.

If you gave me the option of only lean meat vs. only mac and cheese, I'd choose the mac and cheese and live longer than you.

Dig it. :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Does the Kraft dinner selection have the same amounts of macros/micros/calories as the food supply you're eating? If it does, then you will/will not suffer the same deficiencies as me. If not then it's not really a comparison.....

Exactly. Youve just made my point. Its pretty hard to find processed boxed foods that mave nearly the same macros/micros/calories than good wholesome real food does :)

Actually, you made my point for me! There's nothing intrinsically different, just the amount of the contents. Equalise those and what's the difference?
  • ILoveBrownies2
    ILoveBrownies2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LOL.. What can I eat for carbs that are clean? Any suggestions on a particular soy milk or regular milk?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Actually, you made my point for me! There's nothing intrinsically different, just the amount of the contents. Equalise those and what's the difference?

You cant equalize them. That's the point.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    LOL.. What can I eat for carbs that are clean? Any suggestions on a particular soy milk or regular milk?

All the fruits and veggies your heart desires, including starches like potatoes. As for grains, it's a blurry line. I dont do many grains, but will have rice occasionally. If grains work for you, stick to whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, rolled oats, steel cut oats, etc, etc. Breads are ok if you're down with minimally processed stuff - just look at the ingredients and make sure there are no crazy additives. Bread can and should be made with just a couple ingredients. But it all comes down to how strict you want to be and what you think will be sustainable and make you happy. But those are a bunch of options.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

*grin* if him and I ever end up on a deserted island he can have whatever food he wants.. as long as he help me "exercise". heh..
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Unless you have access to the entire cow, you'd still live longer on the mac and cheese.

We have blown completely past the point by now, though.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Check out thegraciouspantry.com. She posts tons of recipes and information on clean eating. :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I get a veggie box delivered once a week and I eat everything that's in it

Me too - everything hangs off the contents of the veg box

The company deliver meat, fish, eggs and other kitchen store cupboard items too so I do my meal plan and then order what I need from them around the contents of the box and then mostly avoid the supermarket. It's great!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Whole grains are clean, they should just be that grain no other ingredient. Nothing bleached or enriched. With breads, I think the easiest way to go is Ezikiel (sp?) style products (bread, english muffins, tortillas, etc come this way). I usually get Food for Life brand.

As far as milk, I drink almond or soy milk but honestly, I'm not sure which store-bought ones are the cleanest. You may have to do a search to find that out. I know you can make coconut milk with coconut flakes and water. So I'm sure that's pretty clean. With almond (or nut milk in general), you can make it yourself as well using nut milk bags.
  • jimmmer
    Options

You cant equalize them. That's the point.

Why not? Why can't I create a ready-meal with macros/micros equalling what you can make at home. The only difference being the preservatives/colourings. The supermarket where I shop (Morrisons) has non-frozen ready meals that have comparable macros/micros to stuff I cook at home. Only difference is the preservatives/colourings/etc. Are these the things you really want to say are bad and make the foods "un-clean"?

I'm still waiting for the intrinsic properties that make up the members of the groups "clean" and "un-clean". I have tried to tease them out of you by reason. That's irony, that is.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: buy fruits and veggies that are on sale. They are usually on sale because there is an abundant supply and that means it is harvest time and they are likely at their peak in terms of freshness and nutrients. Then cook a large batch of something good with them and freeze what you don't eat.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options

So you don't see the difference from eating fresh food to boxed food? Fresh food has higher nutritional content and less fat and way less sodium. How can you equalize that? Fresh food from boxed food? There is no way to do it.
  • jimmmer
    Options

So you don't see the difference from eating fresh food to boxed food? Fresh food has higher nutritional content and less fat and way less sodium. How can you equalize that? Fresh food from boxed food? There is no way to do it.

What's wrong with fat?
  • jimmmer
    Options

*grin* if him and I ever end up on a deserted island he can have whatever food he wants.. as long as he help me "exercise". heh..

Lol! Hope those Kraft meals can keep me going..... :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

What's wrong with fat?

would you be happier if she'd said less "bad" fat? (ie: trans fats)

also... i'm at a computer... guess i should get to that response. haha
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The whole idea of a "clean" food makes no sense. Only calories and macros make any difference for weight loss/gain.

The whole idea of clean eating is a fitness industry exercise in make-believe.

Hopefully it'll go the way of other gems such as "fat makes you fat" and die a quick painless death.....

nope. and nope.

and if it makes no sense, you might wanna rethink your reasoning skills.

eat nutritious whole foods instead of processed pre-packaged foods. yeah man that's crazy.

clean varies from person to person, but the general concept is to avoid processed and pre-packaged foods as much as possible. it's certainly a fuzzy term, full of grey areas that different people interpret differently - such as bread and dairy specifically. I, personally don't do lactose as much as possible, I don't eat bread, and I stay away from most grains as often as possible. That said, I'll eat rice on occasion, or quinoa sometimes. It's not a 100% thing.

but essentially what it comes down to is making a diet that consists of almost entirely foods with one ingredient. how much of your diet you leave for processed foods/things you enjoy that you don't want to "give up" is entirely up to you. I advocate 10%, some advocate 20%, but really it's whatever you need to do so that you're enjoying yourself, because if you don't like doing it you're not going to stick to it.

as for pickled and smoked foods, I do make an exception for those provided they've been processed without synthetic additives. for example, pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut - all good. Kefir? I'm all about it. Bacon? Yep - every day. But my bacon is uncured and is nitrate-free. I'll also do some energy/power/protein bars that are made with all natural ingredients just smooshed together in bar form. Sometimes I'll make my own.

there's a gradient of "processing". A homemade power bar is processed, but it's made with all whole food ingredients and is thus (in my view) superior to a... special K brand bar for instance that's got high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other unpronounceable additives.

so in my personal view, lightly processed foods with whole ingredients are good. so are pickled and smoked foods if processed correctly, and so is some dairy like kefir, which is lactose free.

but like I said, everyone's different. And when someone mentions "clean" eating, they are simply referring to a lifestyle where your diet consists primarily of whole foods and you avoid most highly processed, refined foods from boxes, cans and packages.

The End.