Running with your dog

Options
I'm hoping to start running with my dog this spring. Does any one have any tips or tricks to make it easier?

I'm a little worried she might get too distracted.

bf72102e-d7e8-4ba2-8201-2c8944fd5e10_zpsa7a5ac7d.jpg

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, a leash. And buy a harness so she doesn't pull and choke herself. Most likely, if you run, she will run with you. Keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't being overworked. They make collapsible bowls if you can manage to take one so she can drink if you think she needs it. Make sure she is on a leash. I cannot tell you how many people have had their dogs hit by cars because they thought they were trained well enough to run without a leash...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Adorable

Two of my dogs are trained to heel so I just use that. But my lab never was. I use a command, "let's go" to signal that we are running. To us, this means we are running, no sniffing or stopping. Use the same one each time, doesn't matter what it is. It can be anything. I've seen people who clip their dog leach to their belt. the dog learns that as a signal. Just something that the dog knows, "ok we are running, no stopping". If I want to stop or allow them to sniff/pee/whatever, I use the "break" command.
    When you first start running, teach the dog not to stop. When the dog stops, give a "no" and keep going. Do not stop. Once you stop you are reinforcing the behaviour that they can stop. You don't have to yank the dog, but a gentle tug and keep moving (slow down if need be). A few runs with consistently doing this and the dog should pick up on the no stopping thing.

Also teach the dog where you want them. I keep my dogs on my left and hold the leash to keep them there (the ones trained in a heel do it anyway).

Don't forget the doggie bags. I can tell when my dogs need to go so I stop and give them the break command to do it. It is best if you can get them to go early on or even before but my lab never works that way.

Work up to distance with your dog. Add distance gradually. Running with you is different than running on their own so give them time to get used to it. Keep an eye on the pads of their feet at first.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I had no problem at all running with my girl. She stayed to the side without much need. Just make sure to tell her/him what you need. I would tell her left, right, stop, run, walk and she would understand after the first time what was expected. She knew that only when I stopped to walk or cross street was when she could smell around. She got used to what was needed and expected and would even coach me when I got tired and slowed down to bring me back up to speed. :-)
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    please pick up your dogs crap, provide water, and use a leash.

To those of you that think your dog is properly trained, you better be sure. If your unleashed dog runs up on my LEASHED dog, you could end up with a dead dog. This would be my dogs doing, not me. I'm responsible to put him on a leash, but I can't control your off leash dog and won't be held responsible for what could happen.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    please pick up your dogs crap, provide water, and use a leash.

To those of you that think your dog is properly trained, you better be sure. If your unleashed dog runs up on my LEASHED dog, you could end up with a dead dog. This would be my dogs doing, not me. I'm responsible to put him on a leash, but I can't control your off leash dog and won't be held responsible for what could happen.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me, maybe I wasn't clear in my post, all my dogs are leashed while running.

I don't provide water to my dogs while running. But I don't take them very far either and not in the heat.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    it wasn't specifically directed at you, no.

This is a real sensitive subject for me though, so it was directed towards anyone that makes the conscience decision to break the leash laws and put their dog at risk (not to mention others)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    it wasn't specifically directed at you, no.

This is a real sensitive subject for me though, so it was directed towards anyone that makes the conscience decision to break the leash laws and put their dog at risk (not to mention others)

I agree, leash less dogs are an issue for me as well
  • lesnwhisper
    Options
    well...be prepared for a little humiliation, that's my biggest tip.
    Started running with Gordon, my shepherd...I'm running my *kitten* off thinking about the great burn...I look down to notice he's just barely broken out of walking pace -- and he's yawning. Thanks for the support, *kitten*.

(edited to add - oh yeah he's always leashed. He's a good boy, but you never know...)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Pick a time when you think there will be the least ammount of distractions.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Started running with Gordon, my shepherd...I'm running my *kitten* off thinking about the great burn...I look down to notice he's just barely broken out of walking pace -- and he's yawning. Thanks for the support, *kitten*.

(edited to add - oh yeah he's always leashed. He's a good boy, but you never know...)

Damn Shepherds and that long gait. My guy is the same way. And if I stop he stares at me and keeps trying to go again.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have a basset hound. She doesn't run, unless she is in danger and even then it has to be serious danger.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I tried to get my dog to run with me. At first she gets excited, then she slows down to a trot, and eventually she'll even try to sit down and refuse to move. A willful b*i*t*c*h, she is.

About the leash issue: definitely keep your dog on a leash, for everyone's safety. Nothing annoys me more than clueless dog owners who waltz up to me with their out-of-control dogs and assure me that their dog is super-friendly. Well, you know what? Mine isn't, not to other dogs, anyway. And I am not going to pay your vet bills when she bites your dog's ear off.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a border collie, extremely distracted but with a leash that goes over her mouth and back of her head the control is fantastic and she loves being with me. Just hold them close and enjoy :)
  • mozzie88
    mozzie88 Posts: 33
    Options
    It drives me insane running with my dog.. I like to keep a certain pace the whole time and he doesn't, sometimes he wants to run flat out and other times he hardly wants to move so I take him for a walk first then go for a run by myself to keep me sane.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. I noticed my dog was like this the other day. She's four years old, overweight, and only about 2 feet off the ground with short stubby legs. I've been taking her out for safety and because she needs to lose a couple of pounds, and she loves it, but I'm not challenge for her (even running!).

As far as tips, I take my dog out early morning or very late night, when other people and dogs are unlikely to be out. We regularly jog at midnight. Lexie is not really trained to do anything, but she takes direction well overall, and she gets it. To discourage stopping, we walk in the middle of the road and we jog on the side. If you are going to do this, wear reflectors and be conscious of motorists (no music on your ears!). The middle of the road keeps her out of bushes and yards and she remains focused. And yes, having your dog leashed (and behaving properly on the leash) makes a huge difference.

My other dog is not a good leash walker, so he doesn't get to go on these nightly excursions as frequently. On rest days, when I'm not planning to jog, I take him out instead. He is not fat either.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is a dog trainer, and she suggests using set commands--as mentioned by many others on the thread. She also takes her dog regularly to dog parks (we're lucky to have a lot around us) where Wrigley (her dog) can run free and roam. Then when it's time for her run, the dog knows it and has the sniffing and poking around out of her system. She also suggests using a different leash for running versus the "we're out for a walk so you can do your business" leash. As long as you establish some sort of routine--and stick with it--you should be good. She also ensures Wrigley does her business before they take off on their run. It saves her from having to stop to clean up dog poop (and then carry it). Start with very short distance, and build up. She never does more than 3 miles with her dog, only because any more than that and the poor dog is exhausted!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip: Train your dog to heel so you won't have any problems with pacing or keeping him/her in check at intersections.

Shadow heels very well, so I had no qualms taking her out jogging the first time. The only issue that I had to work out with her is that when nature calls, she doesn't give any signal and just stops to go on about with her business. It made me twist my ankle once and has almost made me fall a few times. The trick with getting her to stop that was simply letting her out in the yard before we leave.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    hmmm I tried to run with my dog but she is too young and she just goes at full speed and she is fast AF...one tip id say is dont let your dog get too far in front of you.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

OMG this made me laugh out loud!! That'll happen with my pit mix--he's got looooong legs. I am planning to train him to run with me as weather gets warmer. I am going to get a leash that goes around my waist (there's one called Stunt Puppy). I'll start with slow short runs and see how he does with distractions.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I use to run with my two basset hounds and never had any issues. A regular leash was all I needed.

My current dog, a shepard mix, requiers a harness. She is STRONG too. When I first started running with her we had a ton of problems. She's better now. Sorta. She wears the harness and the leash is super short. The main problem now is she likes to nip or hit my feet with her paws. She only goes with me if my husband is around. I envy those who can push their kids in a stroller and run with their dog. Never gonna happen with mine.

The first few times you go, you may not get in the full workout you'd planned. Be ready for anything.