thought on coconut oil...

Options
Has anyone lost weight using coconut oil as a daily supplement? If so...I would love advice on this topic:happy:

Replies

• Kbriner0223
    Options
    I would also love to learn about anyone using coconut oil...i have heard such great things about it!! :/ Sorry i dont have experience to share lol
  • Missyann52
    Missyann52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :smile: I too am interested in hearing how you use coconut oil in your diet.
  • came8811
    came8811 Posts: 5
    Options
    I use it for oil pulling everyday but I am not sure about eating tablespoons of it everyday. I don't want to use up my calories on just oil. I have read that it is supposed to speed up your metabolism....or is that just a myth?? Anyone?:drinker:
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight then make sure you track your coconut oil intake just like you would any other food. It IS good for you, but you still have to track it.

UNrefined coconut oil has the most nutrients. So use UNrefined when eating straight off the spoon or when using in a smoothie, salad dressing, etc. But for cooking purposes use REfined coconut oil because it is the only (or one of the only) oils that doesn't turn into something unhealthy when heated up.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i use coconut oil daily. i like it, it's tasty, performs well at really high temperatures.
    solid at room temperature, liquifies when heated even slightly.

as far as losing weight on coconut oil, that is just focusing on one very little, very specific, variable in the whole scenario.

you can eat at a huge caloric surplus, and no coconut oil will ever help you lol.

I would suggest reading up on TDEE, caloric surplus/deficit, and macronutrients and their ratios.

p.s. oops, forgot. i just use it as oil to cook on.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Also, coconut oil makes a wonderful pie crust! Replace the shortening/butter/lard in the recipe with refined or unrefined coconut oil and you won't be disappointed! So much better for you than the other alternatives.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Simply supplementing with additional coconut oil - or any other MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) does not aid in weight-loss, no.

However there is research to indicate that replacing less-healthy fat sources with MCT's does aid in both fat-oxidation (ie: fat-burning) and the lipid (cholesterol) profile.

Studies that reduce calories from refined carbohydrate and replace it with MCT's have an even greater improvement in both weight-loss (due to increased fat oxidation), lipid profile and triglycerides, however.

BTW the easiest sources of MCT's to find are coconut oil and palm kernel oil. Both have very similar effects.

That's where the science sits, anyway.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It's healthier but it won't make you lose weight alone.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started using it this week , not as a supplement, but in cooking. I've made a lot of other changes as well, but only time will tell if it helps.
  • Cmg2k
    Cmg2k Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can use coconut oil in place of other cooking oils or butter. It's easy to cook and bake with. I love to sauté veggies with it. Also, you can add some to a blended smoothie. Great for moisturizing skin too! Use unrefined and organic if possible!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I added coconut oil to my diet for several months. Had no effect at all as far as I could tell. It's nice, tho'. I used to add a little to my coffee and tea. And make things with it. It's great for cleaning and oiling wood furniture, mixed with white vinegar!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I use it to oil my waffle iron, with delicious results. But mostly I use it in my hair. It makes dried out ends soft again.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    I use it for oil pulling everyday but I am not sure about eating tablespoons of it everyday. I don't want to use up my calories on just oil. I have read that it is supposed to speed up your metabolism....or is that just a myth?? Anyone?:drinker:
    Why not just swallow the coconut oil after your oil pulling and get back to us.
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Also, UNrefined has a lovely, light coconut flavor . . . and again UNrefined has all the wonderful nutrients. REfined isn't as nutrient packed but it is your best bet for cooking because it doesn't become a toxic oil when heated like all other oils (including olive oil). REfined coconut oil is tasteless. I always have jars of each in the pantry.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's healthier but it won't make you lose weight alone.

For sure! We are still looking for the magic bullet.

Anyone read about the mice that had gastric bypass surgery and then got a different kind of bacteria in their systems that, when transferred to fat mice slimmed them down quickly with no change in diet? Now where can I find a mouse that's had gastric bypass surgery.... Not a joke. Read it here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/health/studies-focus-on-gut-bacteria-in-weight-loss.html?_r=0
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Why not just swallow the coconut oil after your oil pulling and get back to us.

That would be gross. The oil pulling is supposed to draw out toxins and microbes . . . ewwww don't swallow.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It is twice as effective when you snort it
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a 1TBSP of CO daily. I make delicious little fat bombs out of it and it's a good way for me to up my calories and healthy fats. I melt 1C CO, 3/4C butter, 3/4C Almond Butter in the microwave, stir in some shredded coconut and fry's coco, some Truvia and I pour the melted fats into candy molds and then freeze for 15 minutes to set. I pop them out and keep them in a bag in the fridge. They're a tasty way to get some extra fats.

ETA: Each one of these puppies is about 140 calories so YES, DO TRACK EVERYTHING!

fatbomb.jpg
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I put coconut oil in my coffee in the morning....it has helped on a weight loss level because I have upped my fats and decreased my carbs - especially the processed carbs.
  • NanniJanni
    Options
    I baked with coconut oil and had to throw it out. It tasted like sunblock. :sick: Did I use the wrong sort?